PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 bug - spell resistance incorrectly coded 3.5 monster module

Phystus
December 2nd, 2015, 20:46
I found a bug in the 3.5 monster module. Spell resistance for monsters that have it (Ogre Mage, for example) have it coded in the SQ field as "spell resistance <value>" but the program is expecting it to be coded as "SR <value>" so spell resistance isn't applied.

To recreate the error, create a new 3.5 campaign, add a spellcaster with a spell that allows SR, put the caster and a monster that should have SR in the tracker (Drow, ogre mage, etc.), target the monster with the caster, and cast the spell. You will see that no caster level check occurs.

In the attached screen shot I did just that, and also edited a monster to change "spell resistance" to "SR", and targeted both. As you can see, the CLC occurred for the edited monster but not the original.

I check Pathfinder too, but it seems that for the Ogre Mage (Oni) at least, the SQ field has been fixed, and the CLC occurred as expected.

Thanks,

~P

Moon Wizard
December 3rd, 2015, 00:02
I think this is an issue specifically with a small bug in the SQ processing in the 3.5E ruleset and the ordering of the words for SQ in the 3.5E bestiary.

Basically, the regeneration parsing was grabbing an extra word, so the SR wasn't being identified.

In the PFRPG bestiary,
"regeneration 5 (fire or acid); SR 19; change shape (Small, Medium, or Large humanoid; alter self or giant form I); flight"

In the 3.5E bestiary,
"Darkvision 90 ft., low-light vision, regeneration 5 (fire or acid), spell resistance 19"

Basically, the semi-colon is treated as a word in the parsing, whereas a comma is not.

So this only happens when a special quality immediately follows regeneration, and only in the 3.5E bestiary.

Thanks for reporting,
JPG