PDA

View Full Version : New Game Starting D&D 5e Sundays 6-10 PM EST

The Scriven One
December 1st, 2015, 23:11
Hello, everyone. I'm starting a new game, as the title says. We'd be starting this Sunday; 12/6/15. Edit: We're using Skype.

I know it's a bad time of year to be starting a campaign, with the holidays and all, and I'll be moving cross country shortly after the beginning of the year, so play will be a bit sporadic at first. We might get in 2-3 sessions, including character generation, and then have to take a break or two. After things stabilize with my move, I'll be able to make it on a regular basis.

I'm looking for about 2-3 players, as I have one firm player and a couple of people who will drop in and out when they can.

The game will be casual and hopefully easy going on your end, but with an emphasis on roleplaying. I'll tell you about it further down the thread.

The reason I want to run this game is that I have a friend who recently got into gaming, and I want to feed his enthusiasm for the hobby. That's why I'm not waiting to start things until things calm down.

As for the campaign, it's going to start off fairly typical for a D&D game, but with a dark fantasy twist. All the expected D&D tropes will be present; dungeon crawls, monsters, etc, but in a world that's been conquered by fiendish forces. They are the royalty of the world, and have near total control. They tend towards lawful evil, so most people can get by under the radar in an essentially crapsack world.

I'll tell you up front, the campaign will be about saving two (or more) worlds, if you choose to take the hooks- the one where you start, and the one where you end up. The second world is a bright world with darkness at the edges; my published Morningstar campaign setting. Morningstar is billed as a "high magic world of epic fantasy where heroes fight to preserve a golden age of magic." Rather than being medieval, it is an ancient world (mostly bronze age) setting, based on the myths of Atlantis and classical mythology from across the world. It's world where the age of legend that most D&D worlds talk about never ended.

The two worlds are tied together in a way that I won't ruin here, but the idea is that your characters will be people whose bloodlines are rooted on the second, golden age world. As such when you get there, you will gain special abilities akin to Superman's powers in the presence of the Yellow Sun, but more diverse and magically-oriented. The system for these powers has been playtested, and while they give you more options and staying power in an adventure, they are not overpowered. Nothing like a +5 Strength, or anything; more like extra level-appropriate spell-like and class abilities.

The first setting will run by the RAW alone (maybe with a few homebrew monsters), but the second world offers some additional options. Anyone who would play this campaign would have to be ok with house rules.

Aside from the overall arc I hope the game takes, I tend to run a reactive sandbox. If you don't make things happen, I'll run a more traditional game where things happen *to* you, but if you take the reigns, I'll go wherever you take the game. I do intersperse hooks, but I don't plan how I'd like them to turn out, unless you're not making anything happen. NPCs have motivations and plans, and act on them. They change plans based on your actions, or continue based on your inaction. I don't railroad, but I do set up dominoes. You can interrupt them whenever you want.

Anyway, if you are interested, or have any questions, let me know.

lumito
December 2nd, 2015, 19:47
Still need players?

I am not so experienced player.
but I have fantasy :P

I can speak more with you about it if you are interested

The Scriven One
December 2nd, 2015, 20:46
Still need players?

I am not so experienced player.
but I have fantasy :P

I can speak more with you about it if you are interested

Absolutely. I have a game where I'm a player tonight, but would you be around tomorrow to talk? If you're in Norway, I'm not sure what time will be good for you, but I'm usually around during the day until 2 PM EST, and after about 7 PM EST.

lumito
December 2nd, 2015, 22:20
Yes I'm in norway

Would be easy if we used this, https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20151203T14&p1=12&ah=5

your state is probably wrong,

hyujgtyh
December 3rd, 2015, 03:24
Still looking for another player? I am an extremely new player, and I have only played a couple of times. I am able to speak more with you if you need to.

TheSuspect
December 3rd, 2015, 05:01
Hey if you are still looking for one more please let me know.

The Scriven One
December 3rd, 2015, 06:14
Yes I'm in norway

Would be easy if we used this, https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?iso=20151203T14&p1=12&ah=5

your state is probably wrong,

Which city is closest to you so I can find the right time for you (I assume Oslo)? Also, if you can tell me a good time for you in the next couple of days to talk, I'd rather try to work around your schedule. Mine's fairly flexible.

The Scriven One
December 3rd, 2015, 06:18
Still looking for another player? I am an extremely new player, and I have only played a couple of times. I am able to speak more with you if you need to.

Hey if you are still looking for one more please let me know.

I am definitely looking for a couple more players. Let me know what a good time to talk to you guys on skype might be. I'm around mostly after 7 PM EST during the week, but could also meet before 2 PM if needed. I might not have room for everyone, but it would be good to talk and see if you and we would mesh. It seems that the group will have a certain dynamic (a few newbies who are in it for the story that arises) and I'd like to preserve that.

Monkn
December 3rd, 2015, 08:53
Looking to get more time in on FG learning the system and would love to join your campaign.

lumito
December 3rd, 2015, 13:19
Which city is closest to you so I can find the right time for you (I assume Oslo)? Also, if you can tell me a good time for you in the next couple of days to talk, I'd rather try to work around your schedule. Mine's fairly flexible.
Trondheim.
But Oslo and Trondheim is in same timezone

The Scriven One
December 3rd, 2015, 13:43
Looking to get more time in on FG learning the system and would love to join your campaign.

Ok, if you can, send me a PM with your skype name and availability over the next few days to talk. Thank you.

The Scriven One
December 3rd, 2015, 13:44
Trondheim.
But Oslo and Trondheim is in same timezone

Great. I got your PM, and sent one back.

hyujgtyh
December 3rd, 2015, 23:10
I am definitely looking for a couple more players. Let me know what a good time to talk to you guys on skype might be. I'm around mostly after 7 PM EST during the week, but could also meet before 2 PM if needed. I might not have room for everyone, but it would be good to talk and see if you and we would mesh. It seems that the group will have a certain dynamic (a few newbies who are in it for the story that arises) and I'd like to preserve that.

I can talk around 7 EST tonight

cedarville
December 4th, 2015, 00:38
Hi, I'm a relatively new player, started playing 5e a few months ago. Are you still looking for another player? I am CST time zone

The Scriven One
December 4th, 2015, 00:44
I just sent you a PM.

The Scriven One
December 4th, 2015, 01:15
We're all full up. Thank you. If I invited you personally, or sent you a PM, you are still invited. I'm looking forward to this. See you Sunday at 6 PM EST.

Philip Wong
December 5th, 2015, 02:40
How may i join ?

The Scriven One
December 5th, 2015, 09:05
Right now we have a full group, but if anyone drops out, I'll let you know. Good luck finding a game.