PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Campaign Cartographer (again)

pacio49
November 30th, 2015, 20:25
Back in the day, when CC and DD first came out, I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased the software to help me create computer-generated maps for the old Rolemaster 2.0 games I used to run and play in. That was back in college (1994), so both my computer and the software were somewhat buggy. (I used to crash my machine regularly trying to get complex maps to render.)

I remember there was quite a bit of a learning curve for using the software. Has the UI improved at all in the intervening years, or does it still feel very much like a CAD program with fantasy graphics thrown in on top? Can any of the power users of the software recommend which of the various expansions to CC I should look into picking up? I'm considering this as a holiday gift to myself, now that I have a PC which can handle the advanced graphics.

I wonder if there's a snowball's chance in hell that they still have my old registration information on file and if that would translate into some kind of discount for re-purchase of the new version... probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Trenloe
November 30th, 2015, 20:59
CC3 still has its CAD roots and not much has changed from that.

Try logging in here: https://secure.profantasy.com/service/entrance.asp (if you have any idea what email address and password you might have used), or get a list of your orders here: https://secure.profantasy.com/service/listorders.asp (if you know the original email you would have used). Or just post something on the forums, the ProFantasy guys are pretty good at replying - but keep in mind they're in the UK.

There's currently 30% off everyone on the site until midnight tonight, so it's a good time to pick up any add ons.

What to buy? It all depends on what maps you're wanting to create and if you want to have different styles. For battlemaps then CC3 and DD3 is really the minimum. City designer is only needed if you want to make maps of settlements (anything from hamlets to massive cities).

The symbol sets are good additions - if you're going to be doing lots of overland maps consider set #1, if you like dungeons consider #2 and/or #4.

The annuals are a great source of different styles - see if any of the styles might be of interest to you.

If you're going to be doing SciFi maps, Cosmographer is a good add on.

If learning from a manual is your thing, the Tome of Ultimate Mapping will be a must for you. It's a valuable reference even if you don't plan on sitting down with it and going through step-by-step (which I'd recommend).

But, the main thing that helped me get going (especially effects - which are the powerhouse of CC3) was Joe Sweeney's video tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/user/joesweeney88

pacio49
November 30th, 2015, 21:49
Thanks for the heads up. Unfortunately I never have any disposable income on Cyber Monday, so I usually miss the sales, but I'll definitely try the old logins.

Much obliged.

pacio49
November 30th, 2015, 22:09
Just sent out an email to their support team as per site instructions. It's definitely a long shot, but I'm tickled by just the possibility that my records may still be there. Not that I expect much more than the 20% off bundle pricing for CC, DD, and CD, which were the three programs I had originally. Now it's more for the laughs of being able to point to a registration from 20 years ago as possibly still being valid. I guess the internet stopped being 'new' while I was busy playing online.

It's the little things.

Skellan
November 30th, 2015, 22:14
The thing I like the most with cc is the ready made style sheets. They know what's a wall or a floor or a symbol or whatever and apply effects like shadows glow and fade automatically. Plus its hours of fun tinkering with the effects.
I use the annual with the Jon Roberts dungeon set in a lot, but its all down to personal preference.
Trenloe is spot on about Jon Sweeney's vids, they are really useful.
I'll be interested to see how you get on if you decide to take the plunge with it.

Zacchaeus
November 30th, 2015, 22:19
CC3+ is a significant improvement over CC3 but there are a couple of bugs in it which I'm waiting for them to fix before I can use it effectively (and therefore recommend it). Also most (in fact all) of the annuals are not compatible with cc3+ as yet.I would echo what Trenloe said, Mike Schley's stuff is very good and there's tons of symbols and other resources kicking about the internet which are useable. And you don't need City Designer if all you are doing is dungeons; but DD3 is a must if you are.

And, yes, it's a helluva learning curve.

pacio49
November 30th, 2015, 23:02
I do remember that learning curve.

I think I'm sold on picking up the programs again to jump back into things. It'll just be at the end of the month when the holidays have passed, or the beginning of next year. Right now I'm looking at the basic set first (CC, CD, DD) with the expansion symbols later on once I'm up to speed on the basics again.

I used to work as a professional graphic designer (I did packaging design for PepsiCo once upon a time). I've got a fine arts background as well, so what I used to do was sketch out my maps in pencil and then convert them to pen and ink drawings with light color washes for interest. Unfortunately my hands have a slight tremor to them nowadays so I no longer have fine motor control to the level necessary for that kind of detailed drafting, but my hands are steady enough for work on a computer. (That and the UNDO function is my friend!)

I'm good at diving in whole-hog to new programs to get what I need out of them, and then pushing on... My experience with the Adobe Creative Suite is only slightly rusty (I switched careers a few years back and no longer have access to CS on my home machine), and while it's not CAD-based I'm pretty good at picking up drafting and graphics-based programs, so the learning curve on this doesn't scare me. I view it more of an investment to bring my GMing in Fantasy Grounds to the next level.

And who knows... once I get back up to snuff on CC I might just start polishing up assets for my homebrew 5e modules to offer them as finished products. But that's a long ways off in the distance. Offering maps to the community after I'm done with them will be a good intermediate step. Still, it's good to have long-term goals and options. Though I'll be interested to see how Fantasy Grounds changes with the port over to the Unity platform and the integration with TableTop Connect, maps will still be necessary!

I guess it's just a matter of time and price for me to get back into Campaign Cartographer again. I'll let folks know when I've got maps to share.

Zacchaeus
December 1st, 2015, 12:10
Good stuff, looking forward to seeing those maps :)

pacio49
December 18th, 2015, 01:52
I decided to go ahead and purchase CC3+/3, CD3, DD3, and the SS4/Dungeons of Schley symbols pack. I spent yesterday going through the tutorials and today working on a couple of my own homebrew campaign's maps. Having owned and used Campaign Cartographer Pro years and years and years ago, the learning curve wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Now it's a matter of practice, spending time, and finessing things.

Here's the setting for the campaign, an aptly-named "Hidden Valley" up in the mountains.

And here's a shot of the kingdom of Tysdia where the adventure is taking place.

Trenloe
December 18th, 2015, 02:31
Looking very cool. Like the "Hidden Valley" especially... :)

Skellan
December 18th, 2015, 02:51
That's brilliant. Glad you are getting on well with it!

kalnaren
December 24th, 2015, 17:40
CC3 is very much a CAD program. Quite a steep learning curve but once you start to figure it out it makes a lot of sense. I highly recommend going through some youtube tutorials for basic maps. There's a lot of good content there.

I have the full suite but my most used ones are CC3, DD3, and Symbol Set 1. All the maps I've posted on the forum here are based on Jon Robert's Dungeons style (freely available from ProFantasy).