PDA

View Full Version : Percentile dice error and colours

Spacecookie
November 30th, 2015, 19:28
Hello, I did a search and couldn't find an already created thread about this, but I noticed that when a non-open ended percentile roll is made, if the 'units' die rolls a 0 then it's counted as a 10 instead of a 0, so instead of rolling 70, with a roll of a 70 on the tens die and a 10 on the units die, I suddenly have a roll of 80 in total instead of 70.

Also, where is the option to change the dice colour for each separate player please? I assume it was omitted deliberately as there seems to be no option for this.

*Please ignore the colours thing as upon loading fantasy grounds again it started with a lot more bars and buttons.

Trenloe
November 30th, 2015, 19:52
Hello, I did a search and couldn't find an already created thread about this, but I noticed that when a non-open ended percentile roll is made, if the 'units' die rolls a 0 then it's counted as a 10 instead of a 0, so instead of rolling 70, with a roll of a 70 on the tens die and a 10 on the units die, I suddenly have a roll of 80 in total instead of 70.
There are two schools of thought with the D100 - a units of 0 is classed as 0 or it's classed as 10 (adding 10 to the 10's roll - usually when the units dice is 1 - 10, not 0 - 9), the latter is what FG uses. This means that (tens then units): 00 + 10 = 10 and 90 + 10 = 100.

Spacecookie
November 30th, 2015, 20:09
But unfortunately that isn't rolemaster percentile dice, or percentile dice generally. 00 is 100, it's not 110 (or should that be a result of 10?). The units die should always be classed as anything less than 10 otherwise, by definition, it isn't a units die any more, which is why we use two dice to obtain a range between 01 and 100.

The way you detail it makes it broken as we're using a die which is quite clearly defined as tens (able to achieve a number that is a multiple of 10) and a die which is quite clearly defined as units without the confusing mess.

Moon Wizard
November 30th, 2015, 20:14
The percentages are exactly the same for each roll, so it's really a style preference. (i.e. you have exactly one way of rolling a 100)

It's a limitation of the way FG was built in the past. We're looking at a future update to allow percentile dice to work "as they do at the table", but it's not a high priority item since it's cosmetic.

Regards,
JPG

ianmward
November 30th, 2015, 23:28
The units die goes from 1 to 10 and the 10s die does go from 00 to 90 so it is impossible to get 110...
The rolls go from 00 + 1 up to 90 + 10

I know it's a bit weird at first but it actally makes sense and gives the same probabilities, without the need to cheat on a 00 & 0.

But unfortunately that isn't rolemaster percentile dice, or percentile dice generally. 00 is 100, it's not 110 (or should that be a result of 10?). The units die should always be classed as anything less than 10 otherwise, by definition, it isn't a units die any more, which is why we use two dice to obtain a range between 01 and 100.

The way you detail it makes it broken as we're using a die which is quite clearly defined as tens (able to achieve a number that is a multiple of 10) and a die which is quite clearly defined as units without the confusing mess.