PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e | New Players Seeking GM and Group, Sunday PM, US CT

V1NC1T
November 30th, 2015, 00:06
I'm looking for a GM/DM and a group of friendly players. My 11 year-old son and I would like to get into the game.

I'm familiar with RPG culture going back to childhood, but never really had friends into playing when I was younger. More recently, I've made myself familiar with the new 5e rules. I've even spent a little time playing DM with my son at home; we played the first part of the LMoP adventure. That experiment confirmed for us that what we really needed was a group of fun people to play with.

We hope to find a group of patient, PG-13 types playing LMoP, Tyranny of Dragons, or another Forgotten Realms-set campaign or adventure. Of course, we're open to other 5e settings, too. The perfect time for us to play would be Sunday after 2.00 PM, US Central Time. In recent days, I've learned a lot about the features and functionality of Fantasy Grounds. We don't intend to hold a group back due to ignorance or incompetence.

I'm guessing finding a group that perfectly matches our wish list is a long shot, but I thought I'd throw a post out there and try.

damned
November 30th, 2015, 03:07
Welcome jmoster21.
You might find it more difficult finding a group that will also cater for your son - only in that the vast majority of players/gms here are adults and sometimes their conversation may inadvertently not be suitabel for an 11yo's ears. None of the groups that I have played with or run have contained adult only content but sometimes the language might stray out of PG13 range :)
There are a few recent threads here where people are talking about playing or introducing their children to RPGs. Mostly they are doing this offline - it does seem to hold the attention of younger minds better.
Dont take my comments as an attempt to dissuade you - just throwing some thoughts out there!
Im running a Dungeon World one shot session (DW is very easy for children to pick up) this Friday but I doubt it will be at a suitable time for you... :(

V1NC1T
December 1st, 2015, 02:34
Thanks for the reply. And, what you say makes sense. I'm not holding my breath...

Trouble is that it's proven to be frustratingly difficult (at least so far) to find a live, in person group that fits into the family schedule.

Oh well, I'm not giving up yet!

Going to check out Dungeon World; not heard of it before. I'll send you a PM if it turns out we're up for the Friday one-shot.

Truly appreciate your taking the time to share your point of view.

damned
December 1st, 2015, 03:36
Stay active on the boards and apply to stuff that looks like it *might* be suitable for you and your son.
You might find that your son might have 2 or 3 friends who might like to try RPGs and you can run them thru some basic games and then you might be able to find a game for you online here.
You can download the DW character sheets and moves here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/dwdotcom/Dungeon_World_Play_Sheets.pdf
and you can actually read all the rules online here: https://www.dungeonworldsrd.com/

It is quite different to D&D mechanics - Im still getting my head around them - but they are fun and they encourage the story over the min/max very well.

TMO
December 4th, 2015, 06:28
Hello,

I'm looking for a GM/DM and a group of friendly players. My 11 year-old son and I would like to get into the game.

I'm familiar with RPG culture going back to childhood, but never really had friends into playing when I was younger. More recently, I've made myself familiar with the new 5e rules. I've even spent a little time playing DM with my son at home; we played the first part of the LMoP adventure. That experiment confirmed for us that what we really needed was a group of fun people to play with.

We hope to find a group of patient, PG-13 types playing LMoP, Tyranny of Dragons, or another Forgotten Realms-set campaign or adventure. Of course, we're open to other 5e settings, too. The perfect time for us to play would be Sunday after 2.00 PM, US Central Time. In recent days, I've learned a lot about the features and functionality of Fantasy Grounds. We don't intend to hold a group back due to ignorance or incompetence.

I'm guessing finding a group that perfectly matches our wish list is a long shot, but I thought I'd throw a post out there and try.

Thanks,

Jason

Hi V1NC1T,

I might be able to help you. I have a 10 year old son who I introduced to D&D 5E several months ago (he was 9 at the time) and I've DM'd him through Lost Mine of Phandelver. He also played a few one-shot games with me at our local game shop (which, BTW, was surprisingly PG-13 friendly...something I did not expect). My young adult son was also playing with us but college course work has interfered with his free time so my younger son has not had much opportunity to play and I know he would love to get back into a game.

I've been prepping to DM Princes of the Apocalypse for my regular adult group, but we're still in Hoard of the Dragon Queen so I don't expect we'll be wrapping that up soon. I would be willing to spin up this campaign if we could get 1-3 (I would prefer 2-3) more players who are willing to be mature and PG-13. I have an Ultimate License so the free license of Fantasy Grounds would be sufficient for all players. We can sort out the audio (and video, if desired) later, but we have options. Like you, I was very familiar with RPG when I was much younger (mostly D&D 1e, but dabbled in a few others), then "retired" to focus on career and family, and have somewhat recently come back with the advent of D&D 5e. So, I'm familiar with the rules and Fantasy Grounds, but I still have much to learn. Hopefully this will be a profitable experience for all of us.

I'm Pacific Standard Time. Sundays would probably work well for me but probably not until closer to 2pm PST (UTC-8), thus 4pm Central Time. If you want, we can discuss offline to come to some understanding and agreements or continue to chat right here.

V1NC1T
December 5th, 2015, 00:49
This is great news. What you propose sounds exactly like what we're looking for. No doubt we'll have better luck getting a group going if we can seed it with a DM and three players.

I'll send you a private message to kick off additional correspondence.

Skellan
December 5th, 2015, 01:17
I'd have no problems with young 'uns in my games as long as they had an adult with them (unless it was a game with a specifically adult theme). I think most players would respect a PG 13 game if they knew beforehand. I GM'd for a kids table at a con recently and it was fun, they can really get into it. Also, I worry that the hobby has an old age base and it is great to see younger players taking up rpg's.

V1NC1T
December 5th, 2015, 01:48
Makes sense, Skellan. And, I wouldn't be too rigid or strict about the PG-13 idea anyway. As long as everyone is aware there are kids about, I think it would be fine. Over-sheltering isn't my parenting style. But, I do know people sometimes enjoy getting quite raunchy and rowdy, so I thought it only fair to others and my son to put the PG-13 idea out there.

TMO
December 5th, 2015, 01:50
Also, I worry that the hobby has an old age base and it is great to see younger players taking up rpg's.

Agreed. Lots of things fall into this potential problem.

Philip Wong
December 5th, 2015, 03:20
How may i join ?

TMO
December 5th, 2015, 05:32
Hi Philip. Welcome to the thread and Fantasy Grounds! V1NC1T and I just started to discuss this campaign privately. Our goal is to come to some agreements on how this game will work out. I doubt there will be much deviation from what has already been discussed, but I think it wise for us to establish some formal ground rules and post them here before we start accepting requests. In addition this being a family friendly game (i.e., the PG-13 reference above), we will probably not be able to start until December 20th since I cannot do anything for the next two Sundays. I would invite you to monitor this thread over the next couple of days as I am sure some official details will have been added by then. You can then review and decide if this is the right game for you.

I think there is a calendar feature on this forum. I'll look into that as well to see if it makes any sense for us to use. In the meantime, feel free to post any questions. I'm really excited about the opportunity to launch this campaign.

Philip Wong
December 5th, 2015, 11:30
Thank you for invitation ! Please give me the IP address if appropriate

TMO
December 5th, 2015, 14:53
Thank you for invitation ! Please give me the IP address if appropriate

Philip, I want to make sure you actually read my response. No one has yet to be officially invited to the game. I am asking you to wait until we post the official details about the game and then you can request an invitation.

I have seen your request for an invite on other threads as well. This is great, but I have noticed a pattern of you not actually reading the thread first. Thus, you have asked to be invited to games that were already full. I am hoping this is simply a matter of over-eagerness. :)

Philip Wong
December 5th, 2015, 15:17
I am real man but busy. I played the AD&D when i was teeneger. I use the same pattern to ask for a game. Actually, i do not have time to read those thread.

TMO
December 5th, 2015, 16:11
I am real man but busy. I played the AD&D when i was teeneger. I use the same pattern to ask for a game. Actually, i do not have time to read those thread.

Philip, I get it. We are all busy. But I respectfully submit that it is showing some discourtesy toward others if you do not put in some minimal effort to read the relevant posts in a thread (and these threads aren't really that long). You are expecting others to spend their precious time reading your posts and responding when it could have been avoided. Whether you intend it or not, you are saying, "My time is more important than your time."

Philip Wong
December 5th, 2015, 16:27
No such meaning. Thank you for your time.

Philip, I get it. We are all busy. But I respectfully submit that it is showing some discourtesy toward others if you do not put in some minimal effort to read the relevant posts in a thread (and these threads aren't really that long). You are expecting others to spend their precious time reading your posts and responding when it could have been avoided. Whether you intend it or not, you are saying, "My time is more important than your time."

T.K
December 5th, 2015, 18:41
I will be keeping an eye on this thread. I haven't ever used the fantasy grounds yet but I originally got it so my daughter could play. She is 9 and I have run a few games in the past with her and she likes it but I am just not that good at creating fun stories for her. If we played we would be sharing one character to make it easier since sometimes she gets bored and has a tendency to wander off and do something else.

V1NC1T
December 5th, 2015, 22:22
Sounds good, T.K. Additional details are forthcoming. Really excited that something is starting to come together here!

Streetd0g
December 6th, 2015, 01:35
If you are in need of more players I would be willing to play if it were 5E. It is the only version I know so far and am pretty well versed in it, so I can help where needed. Let me know.

shadowrain
December 6th, 2015, 21:56
I'd be interested in joining a campaign like this if Sunday is the targeted day. Long time gamer but just starting with Fantasy Grounds.

TMO
December 7th, 2015, 01:44
Hi everyone. I started a new thread to kick off this new campaign using guidelines that V1NC1T and I worked out. We only need 2 more players and we want them to be a good fit for the group. Please jump over to Princes of the Apocalypse - Family Friendly - Sunday Afternoons (UTC-8) (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27151-Princes-of-the-Apocalypse-Family-Friendly-Sunday-Afternoons-(UTC-8)) to review the guidelines and respond as needed.