PDA

View Full Version : Fey Ancestry: How do I code this?

Maleioch
November 29th, 2015, 15:50
Hi,

I just purchased FG and have spent the entire weekend in the wiki and on youtube getting to know it. Love it so far.
I am experimenting with the game mechanics before I officially launch a campaign. I have come across a bump in the road.
I created an Elf - Rogue PC and I wanted to put his Fey Ancestry in the Actions tab of the Character Sheet. I think I have the Sleep immunity correct with the syntax of IMMUNE:sleep;[SELF]. But I have know idea about the effect for "You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed".

I have stared at the EFFECTS wiki page for hours it seems and I haven't yet comprehended it. I wish it had some screenshot examples. At this point I'm just stumped.

Zacchaeus
November 29th, 2015, 16:22
I'm afraid that you won't be able to create an effect for either of those possibilities. At present you can't check for incoming spell effects such as charmed or sleep. The effect that you have for sleep won't do anything. Fantasy Grounds checks for effects when a player or NPC makes a melee or ranged attack, when a saving throw (including death saves) is made or an ability check is made. So you could test for the condition 'charmed' to see if it exists on someone that you are about to attack but you can't test for an incoming charm spell.

All you can do is create a 'dummy' effect which will sit on the character as a reminder that they have the Fey Ancestry ability.

Oh, and you'll find some screenshots of how effects are created in the Character Creation (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet) wiki

And finally welcome to Fantasy Grounds and the community.

Maleioch
December 1st, 2015, 02:52
Thanks for the clarification on this. I guess I need to learn a little more in regards to what is automated in FG and what isn't.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm excited to get back into D&D after some decades away. :(

Xorn
December 1st, 2015, 03:29
I'm always sure to put those Advantaged Saves in their special defenses on the Main tab, because then I can see them as a reminder on the Party Sheet.

TMO
December 1st, 2015, 05:45
Thanks for the clarification on this. I guess I need to learn a little more in regards to what is automated in FG and what isn't.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm excited to get back into D&D after some decades away. :(

Wow, you sound like me. Played D&D 1e (and some of 2e) heavily back in high school and college then life took over (job, family, house, yada, yada) and I had to walk away. More than two decades later I'm getting back in with a lot of excitement. I kept in touch with the evolution of the rules and all I saw was an endless cycle of new publications focusing on specialty rules. I kept thinking of how little time and money I would have had I tried to stay current. 5e/Next came around at the right time for me and the advent of great online tools like Fantasy Grounds has me playing again even though my friends are in different states.

Maleioch
December 4th, 2015, 00:52
Wow, you sound like me. Played D&D 1e (and some of 2e) heavily back in high school and college then life took over (job, family, house, yada, yada) and I had to walk away. More than two decades later I'm getting back in with a lot of excitement. I kept in touch with the evolution of the rules and all I saw was an endless cycle of new publications focusing on specialty rules. I kept thinking of how little time and money I would have had I tried to stay current. 5e/Next came around at the right time for me and the advent of great online tools like Fantasy Grounds has me playing again even though my friends are in different states.

Yup. Exactly my case here. :)