PDA

View Full Version : First time poster, old time player

Renoverant
November 28th, 2015, 09:00
Greetings all,
I just bought Fantasy Grounds , after a considerable time debating on it. I am a quasi-experienced player from all the way back to 1st edition D&D (red box anyone?) I have a face to face group that plays Pathfinder., but I've been wanting to play 5th ED, and other systems as well as Pathfinder. We haven't played in almost 2 months, and I'm getting the shakes from RP withdraw. I hope i can find a game/group here. I am free on Fridays and Saturdays, where i can play all day or all night if need be. I'm on the EST zone (NC here ). My past experience has been !st Ed D&D, 2nd ed d&D, Pathfinder, Shadowrun, and Paranoia. I enjoy getting together to have fun, rp and kill dragons. I been away from table top games for a while due to job and other things. But I'm back to my first love. Lets get together, roll some dice and become legends in game and our own minds.

Mask_of_winter
November 28th, 2015, 09:14
Hi there! And welcome!
The best advice I can give you is to keep checking the LFG section for GM announcements. GMs don't typically go looking for players and rely on players to apply to their campaign announcements.

Also, worth looking into is FGDaze (click on my banner). It's a one-day virtual rpg convention for Fantasy Grounds organized by the community. All the games are free, newbie-friendly and only require the demo version. Even if you're mainly interested in a steady campaign, it's the perfect place to meet other players and GMs. That can lead to groups getting formed or invites to some of the GMs ongoing campaigns.

Good luck to you!

JohnD
November 28th, 2015, 12:36
Hey Man... welcome!

Best advice I can give is to be patient - as in face-to-face it can take some time (and a few attempts that don't work out) to find a group where the timing of games is right, the people mesh with your personality and the game fits into your idea of "right". Keep at it and don't wait for a DM to approach you with an offer - if you see someone posting that their game has an opening, make your interest known or someone else will jump on it.

As in face-to-face, the prospective players outnumber the DMs by at least 10:1.

Skellan
November 28th, 2015, 13:49
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds. I am sure that you will find a game to suit you soon

Ellspeth
November 28th, 2015, 16:33
Welcome to one of the friendliest places on the internet. No matter your level of experience, the people are awesome, helpful and welcoming. Your timing is excellent because as Mask said FGDaze is a perfect chance to get to meet people, and it is just a week away. It may take a little time to find the game and group you enjoy, but a year ago (seems like yesterday) I came here, not just new to the forums but to FG, RPG's I had less than a years experience. John was one of the first here to make me welcome (do watch out for his Friday night CnC, the infamously lowest rolling group on FG). Over the year through the FGCons, FGDaze events, being invited in after posting here, meeting people, I have found many games, tried many new things. A personal recommendation because you had mentioned you could play anytime of the night, Damned's Dungeon World game runs a really odd time this time around, otherwise he would have to hide it from me, and it is a very cool game, very open, he is an excellent GM. Not that others here aren't, but these two I have played in their games, and it is always a pleasure and fun.
Hang in there, if they let me in you shouldn't have any problems at all finding what you are looking for.

Wazoodust
November 28th, 2015, 18:40
Welcome to Fantasy Grounds, as an old school player myself I think you'll enjoy it here.
I sent you a PM about a 5E game I'm playing on Wed nights, it's a good homebrew game and a good DM. If you're interested get ahold of the DM, last I knew he was looking to fill out the players. We use Teamspeak for chat, I can't seem to locate the info for it right now, but it's all over out there (that brain cell must be in hibernation)
Also you may want to mention where you're at (time zone especially) or put it in your profile, and don't be shy, most everyone here is cool, I've only been on here since July and have met everyone in this thread so far and many many more