PDA

View Full Version : Working on a new ruleset in french and stumble on a possible bug :confused:

IchiSkaar
November 27th, 2015, 23:54
Hi,

Been dabbling on a new ruleset for a game in French: an extension of CoreRPG that will be D6 based. Since this is a french game, there is a few accentuated characters and chose to specify the file encoding to UTF-8, in hope to simplify the authoring.

I tried the tree (3) following syntaxe to no luck:

<string name="char_label_nationality">NATIONALITÉ</string>
<string name="char_label_nationality">NATIONALIT&#x00C9;</string>
<string name="char_label_nationality">NATIONALIT&#Eacute;</string>

Now, this lead me to believe the default Font is not UTF-8 compatible since in all the cases what is displayed is 'Ä%' in place of 'É'.

Trying to display the lower case equivalent display 'Ä©' in place of 'é'.

First: I would like to try to load a Unicode Font. Any link on how to proceed?
Second: (if first fail) Is there any workaround to this limitation?

Regards to all the guru that try to assist me in advance.

Moon Wizard
November 28th, 2015, 20:58
Fantasy Grounds only supports ISO-8859-1 currently. Also, any display characters used will be automatically mapped to characters in the range of 32-256. This is a known limitation of Fantasy Grounds and the current architecture.

We're looking at expanding international character support for the next major revision (i.e. Unity version), but we haven't gotten to the point where we know for sure what will be supported yet.

We do have many users using Fantasy Grounds in the European Union over a variety of languages, but they are just using the characters included in ISO-8559-1.

Regards,
JPG

IchiSkaar
November 28th, 2015, 21:22
Thanks for the fast reply Moon Wizard. Note that from the application itself the two character used in my example work fine: when input in the chat window or in a text field.

The issue is with the XML parsing. My understanding of the bug is that somehow the string are sent to a Unicode variable and then displayed as a Windows-1252 string without proper handling of the accentuated character.

Best
LMA

IchiSkaar
November 30th, 2015, 22:21
Found my issue!

This is the proper way to insert an accentuated character:

<string name="char_label_nationality">NATIONALIT&#xC9;</string>

Hope this help other developers more used to the HTML/XHTML method.

Apparently I was failing miserably at my Intelligence check...

Thanks again to Moon Wizard for the hint.