PDA

View Full Version : Joining Chat Boxes?

Targas
November 27th, 2015, 14:22
Although this topic is probably valid for other rulesets as well, I,ve noticed it in the LMoP DnD 5E module.

Some Chat boxes consist of paragraphs, splitting text block, like in P2-07.12. looking like this:

Assigned apeaker . Text which is read to the Players,

following a blank line, but still in one Chat box.
With more text to follow described to the Player.

Again seperated ba another blank line with another Chat message in the same box.

If I enter the Chatbox command, I will get three seperate Chat boxes, not a combined one. Is there a way to easily achieve the same result ?

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2015, 15:43
Em, I'm not seeing what you describe in that location. I see a chat box, a line of text, and another separate chat box. I've scanned other bits and I can't see what you describe anywhere.

However to answer your question, no it isn't possible to have multiple paragraphs within a chat (or any other) frame. The chat frame works on paragraphs and as soon as you press return you get a new paragraph, and the focus jumps out of any text frame that you were in.

Targas
November 27th, 2015, 16:15
Not to spoil too much, if you look at the attachment this is how the chatbox looks - and is displayed to Players. You're right, creating the same on my own I Need to have 3 chatboxes - and click 3 times to Show the Players the same text. Therefore I wonder if this is a bug or if the Interface can be improved to mimic the functionality, as in the module ?

midas
November 27th, 2015, 16:26
I see, so you want to type something and do something sort of like typing SHIFT+ENTER or ALT+ENTER in some programs to give you a break, but not send the text yet. At the end you'd hit Enter and it would send the text like it does in the module--as three (or whatever) paragraphs with breaks between them.

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2015, 16:28
Well, that's interesting. That isn't, as I said, how I see that paragraph. It's all just one block of text for me.

As far as I know it isn't a bug although I cannot explain why you should see things differently. The interface can't at this time handle such shenanigans. However that's not to say that it won't in time.

Targas
November 27th, 2015, 16:34
I see, so you want to type something and do something sort of like typing SHIFT+ENTER or ALT+ENTER in some programs to give you a break, but not send the text yet. At the end you'd hit Enter and it would send the text like it does in the module--as three (or whatever) paragraphs with breaks between them.

Exactly- I think the only 'workaround' to mimic the behaviour like in the module, would be to enter it in XML directly ?

damned
November 27th, 2015, 22:43
Thats correct - you can only do this with Par5e or in the XML.

TMO
November 28th, 2015, 05:18
Thats correct - you can only do this with Par5e or in the XML.

Forgive me, what is Par5e?

I was hoping for a way to format chat boxes myself as there are times when I want to present my players content that is intended to be formatted a certain way, like a song, poem, or limerick. I guess I'll have to start getting cozy with XML editing. :)

damned
November 28th, 2015, 06:55
Par5e is a tool for creating library reference books/modules. It was primarily created to convert the 5e books. It requires some learning but is very cool once you get your head around it.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2015, 17:05
... there are times when I want to present my players content that is intended to be formatted a certain way, like a song, poem, or limerick.
In cases like this, create a story entry - you'll have the full formatting available within FG formatted text fields: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Then share the story entry with the players when needed. The story entry window will appear on the player side (not in the chat window) and they can close and re-open it as needed (opening via the "Story" button the right side of the desktop). You can then unshare in future if needed (click the (p) icon next to the story entry).

TMO
November 28th, 2015, 19:10
In cases like this, create a story entry - you'll have the full formatting available within FG formatted text fields: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/The_Basics#Formatted_Text_Fields

Then share the story entry with the players when needed. The story entry window will appear on the player side (not in the chat window) and they can close and re-open it as needed (opening via the "Story" button the right side of the desktop). You can then unshare in future if needed (click the (p) icon next to the story entry).

Ahhh! Never thought of doing that. I have the entire adventure entered as chaptered storied entries (just following the pattern from the official WoTC adventures.) However, I never quite realized I could share the stories like I can with maps and images. Nice!