PDA

View Full Version : idea how to improve fantasy ground

evilmouse
November 27th, 2015, 06:15
Well here an idea that work do a map by hand on fantasy ground softwear. to put a map on fg you need save as a picture then turn. some dms like to create on the fyi

Willot
November 27th, 2015, 08:28
You can do rough sketches. Or (using the layers extension) you can place tiles

Zacchaeus
November 27th, 2015, 15:48
This request/idea has been around for a long time. Vote here (https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=40909) to add your support.

TMO
November 28th, 2015, 05:14
This was one of the features I originally wanted in a system like FG, but then I realized I was really trying hard to bring my old school D&D paradigm into a modern world where computer aided tools and digital graphics are so easy to come by. I finally decided I needed to rethink the way I DM. If I were to use rough sketches, I would want a way to use a device like my Surface Book/Pro so I could use a pen to draw on the screen.

My quibble with the drawing tools in FG is the lack of features like line thickness. My players can barely tell when I draw on a map.

damned
November 28th, 2015, 06:59
This was one of the features I originally wanted in a system like FG, but then I realized I was really trying hard to bring my old school D&D paradigm into a modern world where computer aided tools and digital graphics are so easy to come by. I finally decided I needed to rethink the way I DM. If I were to use rough sketches, I would want a way to use a device like my Surface Book/Pro so I could use a pen to draw on the screen.

My quibble with the drawing tools in FG is the lack of features like line thickness. My players can barely tell when I draw on a map.

There are some amazing mapping features that will come down the line in the months after the release of the next Major version upgrade.... yes - that means its some way off still but some of the things being worked on (have a peek at some Table Top Connect videos and see what Carl has been up to) are pretty cool.

Willot
November 28th, 2015, 08:27
Occurs to me, you could create a drawing called battlemap.jpg (or some such) in your favorite paint package GIMP, Paint.net whatever. Save a blank sheet to the image folder of the campaign your currently playing in. Then keep the paint application open, Draw on the map using the paint package as you need, save it and re open (reshare) it in FG?.

Change it, Save it, reopen (reshare) it? (sounds like a Daft Punk song)

Just had a bit of a go at it, it wasnt too bad
(mind you I have two monitors)

damned
November 28th, 2015, 11:54
interesting idea Willot. Dont change the image dimensions mid stream doing this though - or if you do save as another filename.

Trenloe
November 28th, 2015, 15:04
Yeah, interesting idea. Make sure when you save the file that you keep the settings such that the resulting file will be as small as you can get it to keep the re-share delays down as the new image is transferred to the players.

TMO
November 28th, 2015, 19:01
Occurs to me, you could create a drawing called battlemap.jpg (or some such) in your favorite paint package GIMP, Paint.net whatever. Save a blank sheet to the image folder of the campaign your currently playing in. Then keep the paint application open, Draw on the map using the paint package as you need, save it and re open (reshare) it in FG?.

Change it, Save it, reopen (reshare) it? (sounds like a Daft Punk song)

Just had a bit of a go at it, it wasnt too bad
(mind you I have two monitors)

Neat idea. I purchased a package that included player and DM maps and brought these into my campaign. I then updated both maps with my shortcuts, although I typically just open the player map as the DM since I am using Fog of War to control what they see. Well, just before the adventures entered an area I quickly caught that the player's map had one of the traps exposed. I'm sure this was an oversight. Fortunately, I was able to quickly edit the map, remove the trap, and force the refresh on-the-fly. Worked a treat. I gather that is similar to your proposal in concept.