PDA

View Full Version : Denizens and Devices, Dungeon Crawl 3.5

xaotik1
November 27th, 2015, 00:07
Hey folks, I'll be starting up a new game in the next week or so (depending on players), and thought I'd give everyone a chance at join in if they like. As the title suggests, this WILL be a dungeon crawl, and while I do expect at least a bit of roleplay between characters, it will be combat and puzzle heavy, so keep that in mind when submitting characters. At the moment, I do not have a day or time set. I figured I'd let the players help out on that end. I can tell you that I am at US Central time, but my schedule is fairly open personally, so whenever you all want it is going to likely work for me.

So, on to the nuts and bolts of things. The system will be 3.5, starting character level will 4th. You may use any core book (PHB. DMG, MM), the arms and armor book, and one outside core of your choice when making your character. The only real restriction I have on your personal choice is that I don't want to have anything that requires me to add in new mechanics to every players sheet and not just your own, such as psionics handbook and book of 9 swords. Each character starts out with 2500 in gold for gear and either a +2 equivalent weapon (+2 short sword, +1 keen longsword, etc) or +3 armor/shield (+2 if plate). I do not care what alignment you choose for your character, and do not expect you to tell anyone else what it may be except through the actions of your character. I DO require the character you make to be able to work in a group. Feel free to send any sheets to me here in a pm, at [email protected], or via Skype at xaotik74 (look up Troy Kaufmann if it's easier)

At this point, all I'd like you to post her in this forum is a description of what you see when you look at your character. I do NOT want you to give mechanical details, such as classes and such, JUST what others see. I'm aiming to have a game where no one knows the mechanical details of the characters of any other player, so please do not share classes, skill ranks, etc as that is not something others can tell from an incharacter viewpoint. If it helps, just post the continuation of this brief intro:

For whatever reason, you remember having fallen asleep as normal, yet you find yourself waking with the oddest feeling, almost as if you were still sleeping, yet still aware of your surroundings as if awake. Cracking your eyes, you see a strangly blurry existance with hazy mists and odd distortions in the air coloring all you see in a surrealistic patina of shapes and colors. Beside you stands a mirror, it's silvery surface surrounded by an oddly twisted block of black glass, its frame twisted into unusual shapes that your eyes simply refuse to follow. Gazing into it's glistening surface, you see. . .

Hoping to hear from a few folks soon. Again, feel free to pm me at any time.

Vhok
December 1st, 2015, 13:14
I'm in as long as I can make the times. I have a game Friday nights and Saturday afternoons atm. also how many people is this for?

xaotik1
December 1st, 2015, 17:23
Looking to get 4-6 players for this one, though it looks like it may take a while to start since christmas is coming up. Getting a number of replies, but most seem to want to wait until after the holidays. I will start running it if we can get 3 people who want to play though.

Crazy Aido
December 1st, 2015, 23:07
I could potentially start before the holidays, but I'm kinda dependent on it being a weekend. Sheet to follow.

kenneth_burnell
December 2nd, 2015, 22:21
I would be interested in joining. I'm also able to start before the holidays too. The weekends are open for me mainly Friday and Saturday nights. I will work on the character sheet and send it to you to look over.

kenneth_burnell
December 3rd, 2015, 02:14
For whatever reason, you remember having fallen asleep as normal, yet you find yourself waking with the oddest feeling, almost as if you were still sleeping, yet still aware of your surroundings as if awake. Cracking your eyes, you see a strangely blurry existence with hazy mists and odd distortions in the air coloring all you see in a surrealistic patina of shapes and colors. Beside you stands a mirror, it's silvery surface surrounded by an oddly twisted block of black glass, its frame twisted into unusual shapes that your eyes simply refuse to follow. Gazing into it's glistening surface, you see an elven male peering back you. His light brown eyes are the first thing that is noticeable about him with the golden flexes in them. Just before pulling the hood of his tanned brown cloak covered with leaves and pine needles upon his head, his long flowing auburn hair which is pulled back in a pony tail. Fully taking a better look at the image in the mirror one end of a wooden longbow can be seen hanging from his back. The cloak sways away from him as he moves and the hilt of a longsword sheathed to his left hip is shown.

whtknight6464
December 6th, 2015, 18:26
I would be good for say every other week on sat nights. I live in California.

For whatever reason, you remember having fallen asleep as normal, yet you find yourself waking with the oddest feeling, almost as if you were still sleeping, yet still aware of your surroundings as if awake. Cracking your eyes, you see a strangly blurry existance with hazy mists and odd distortions in the air coloring all you see in a surrealistic patina of shapes and colors. Beside you stands a mirror, it's silvery surface surrounded by an oddly twisted block of black glass, its frame twisted into unusual shapes that your eyes simply refuse to follow. Gazing into it's glistening surface, you see a rough looking human reflected in the mirror. His long brown hair is hanging around his face where his rough beard hides much of his face. From over his large shoulders you see the gigantic hilt of a sword. As he turns to leave a large muscled tattooed arm is exposed where his chainmail does not cover his arms, as if on purpose.

xaotik1
December 7th, 2015, 01:32
excellent, glad to have you on board :) Waiting on a few sheets, but will likely begin soon as we seem to have enough willing to start before christmas.

kenneth_burnell
December 7th, 2015, 14:45
I might have one other person that might be wanting to join as well. I will talk with him and see what he is wanting to do. Then I just have to get him signed up for an account on here so that he can get setup if he is wanting to join too.

xaotik1
December 8th, 2015, 17:24
not a problem at all. I welcome anyone who wants to play and am willing to lend a hand to anyone not familiar with fg. I do not have the ultimate license though, so just a reminder the they would need to have a players copy at the minimum to connect.

That being said though, we might as well get the game time sorted out. Seems to be that Friday or Saturday seems to be the consensus so far. How does 6pm-10pm central time sound? Either day works for me, so if you have a preference, just post it here or drop me a pm.

kenneth_burnell
December 10th, 2015, 21:20
I am good with the time. I am up for Saturday at that time. I just want to make sure though the exact time because I am EST. So going by central time that would be 7pm to 11pm my time from what I gather from that.

xaotik1
December 10th, 2015, 22:43
yep, sounds about right. Not written in stone though until we get a bit more input from the others.

Should be an interesting run as we seem to have a fairly diverse group as it stands. I may as well give you all a bit of the backstory so you can make whatever adjustments you all want for gear, etc before we get underway. Thew quest, so to speak, comes in 4 parts. You've been hired by a rather eccentric mage of renown by the name Egarius to gather the 4 Clasps of Arvin-Mel. These clasps were once used in conjunction with a wondrous cloak that was said to give the wearer the ability to lead his people with flawless wisdom and miraculous gifts of healing and succor. Unfortunately, the kingdom of Arvin-Mel was lost during a magical battle between two other neighboring countries, a great magical storm that tore the peaceful land asunder, and the clasps were lost along with most of the country.

Egarius the Seer, your employer, has narrowed down the locations of these clasps, but requires your group of intrepid adventurers to actually pinpoint and recover them from their current abodes. In order to facilitate this, he has had 4 portals opened, one to each of the clasps locations, or to within a few miles or so as best he was able to judge. Each portal opens into a vastly different kind of terrain and environment, and as such Egarius does suggest bringing along whatever resources you think you will require at each of these locations.

The first portal seems to be constructed of frozen black stone, and it opens into a blindingly bright expanse of frozen plains. Ice stretches as far as the eye can see, with little to be seen aside from the occasional hunk of ice laden rock poking up in the distance. The constant swirl of wind and snow tends to block out much of what you can see at any given moment, and the area appears to be lifeless.

The second portal is made of vine wreathed wood that seems to still be alive, it's leaves gently swaying in a phantom breeze. This portaal seems to open up into a wildly overgrown jungle. Thick vegetation bars sight beyond about 10 feet, and heavy moisture laden air thick with the scents of musk and rot drifts in through the opening. The thick vegetation blocks out much of what can be seen, but the sounds and smells of the local wildlife easily let you know that life there is plentiful and diverse.

The third portal opens into a vast desert waste. Thick spires of worn stone pierce the ever present dust and blowing sands, wide open vistas of stone valleys and bluffs with a few remote and varied creatures flying in the distance and crawling in the rock of the desert pavement. A narrow winding road wends it's way through the wastes, though no travellers can be seen traveling on it.

Lastly, the fourth portal is constructed from damp stone, and opens into blackness. What little light that spills in through the portal falls upon damp stone, and the smell of mildew and decay slowly waft from the dank darkness. Little else can be discerned here, aside from the sound of gently senseless echoes and the slow drip of water onto still stagnant pools.

You are free to proceed into any portal you wish, and Egarius will hand each of your party a token as you prepare. "This token may be used once, and once only, but it will return you to this room instantly and unerringly. Know this though, that should it be used, access to the portal in question will be cut off, and a new one need be constructed before you can return. Please use only in the direst of need."

Crazy Aido
December 11th, 2015, 10:35
Hey, sorry, I'm working tomorrow, so I wouldn't be able to join. But I could certainly make some other week.

xaotik1
December 11th, 2015, 17:45
still short on available players anyway, so no worries. I was hoping to get this rolling, but it does indeed look as if it will have to begin after the holidays. Ah well, gives me a bit more time to add a bit of polish to the campaign at any rate.

Crazy Aido
December 12th, 2015, 10:19
Apologies again. My work schedule seems to want to wait until the last moment before it kicks me in the knackers.

xaotik1
December 12th, 2015, 18:31
believe me, I understand. up until recently my employers changed the start times, days off, break times, lunches, etc on a 2 week notification. randomly shifting start and end times by an hour and a half daily, and no way to predict days off . . .gotta love corporate greed and their utter lack of concern for their workers families or lives.

xaotik1
December 22nd, 2015, 17:38
Well, got a few sheets in, and things are looking solid so far. We've room for a couple more if anyone else is interested, but I'll loosely set the start date as the first Saturday in January. I expect this to take a minimum of 4 sessions to complete, potentially much longer than that though, depending on the parties actions. This is not a module, as such player actions and interactions can drastically alter the nature of the game so to speak.

Vimes87
December 26th, 2015, 12:29
Sorry to be the late comer (brand new to FG as of the 23rd). I am definitely game and the times listed here (7pm-11pm EST Saturdays) seem to work with my schedule well. I shall have a brief character description (based on Xaotik's guidelines and specific instructions) today very likely.

Looks like great fun and I look forward to gaming with you all!

Vimes87
December 27th, 2015, 00:51
... Gazing into it's glistening surface, you see a well dressed Halfling with short dark hair and pale complexion. He wears noble attire though it does not suit him, and wears a disingenuous smile on a face more suited to smirking. He reflects that it is a strange place for a mirror and that the light and colors suit him not. Before he turns to face the mysts he ****s his thumb back and points a finger at his handsome reflection, and winks at whatever is staring back.

The Overlord
December 27th, 2015, 05:22
Gazing into it's glistening surface, you see. . .

A gaunt Human male, wearing a well worn crimson cloak. He shoulders a longbow and carries a long spear, using it as a walking stick at times. The absence of armor is betrayed by the occasional clinking rings of his unseen chain shirt. An icy, almost unatural stare greets you as you look into his eyes, and you get the sense he is not looking at you, but rather through you to another world entirely.