PDA

View Full Version : PFS Module: Carrion Hill

KevenSimmons
November 26th, 2015, 18:02
The strange city of Carrion Hill has long loomed over the surrounding swamps in eastern Ustalav, yet its rulers have shifted many times through the centuries. Often enough that only a few sinister scholars and curious minds know the true nature of the hill’s original inhabitants—vile and depraved cultists of the Old Gods. Yet this morning, a dreadful recrudescence rises from the depths of buried nightmare in the vaults below Carrion Hill. A monster stalks the twisted alleys of the city, spreading panic before it and leaving destruction in its wake. Can the Carrion Hill Horror be stopped?

This will be the Carrion Hill Module run over 2 or 3 weekly sessions on consecutive Fridays 7:00pm Eastern Time (12:00 midnight GMT) - starting on Dec 4th. I am hoping it will be completed in 2 sessions, but scheduling for 3 so we don't have to rush through to the end.

As the module was designed for 4 characters at level 5 with no PFS adjustment options for larger tables, I'll be limiting table size to 5 to keep it challenging. Character levels 4-6.

Calendar Event: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1713

Post xml and chronicle here to register.

aerine
November 26th, 2015, 18:14
I would like to apply, .xml and chronicle forthcoming (waiting on chronicle from last night). I can make all three dates. Cleric of Iomedae, lvl 5.

JWMK
November 26th, 2015, 18:20
Would love to jump in on this, a level 6 dwarven fighter. Will register on the calendar. If you find level 6 is not compatible, happy to bow out.

Malkavian_Andi
November 26th, 2015, 18:25
I'm definitely interested, but I don't know if I can make tomorrow, as I have to work early the next morning.
Also, I already read through the module once as I want to run it sometime for my local players. (But already forgot some of the details.)

As this is my first PFS game as GM, I am still trying to find "official" guidance for allowed character levels or APL when running a module. I've seen comments that +/- one level is acceptable, but anyone with better information is welcome to set me straight. The official tier for sanctioned modules is the level they were written for +/- 1. This becomes apparent when you take a look at their chronicle sheet.
As with any sancitoned content, players may only play characters within the module's tier. As there are no subtiers for modules, you don't need to calculate APL.

KevenSimmons
November 26th, 2015, 18:35
Thanks for confirming the level info Mal. So levels 4-6 will be appropriate for this module folks.

Malkavian_Andi
November 26th, 2015, 18:41
How long do you plan to play each session?

After a quick look at my characters, I came up with a few options:
- 5th level conjuration wizard (lots of summon monster)
- 6th level melee rogue (feint and sneak, plus a bit diplomacy)
- 4th level monk/2nd level inquisitor (mostly high AC, but not so much on the offense)

I'm leaning towards the wizard, as he might fit nicely into the region.

KevenSimmons
November 26th, 2015, 18:47
Sessions will be targeted at 5 hours.

Blackfoot
November 26th, 2015, 19:50
Sounds good to me! Sign me up...

EDIT: Damnit. I can't make the times. I was looking forward to this one. :(

Malkavian_Andi
November 26th, 2015, 20:50
I think I'll play the wizard. Has been some time since I last played him.

btw: If you want, I can also upload tokens for the creatures I'm most likely to summon.

HoloGnome
November 26th, 2015, 21:01
I would love to play, but can't make the times. Have fun on your first run! :)

KevenSimmons
November 26th, 2015, 22:05
Hey Mal, you responded "yes" on the calendar for the 27th... Does this mean you are ok to start then or are you still on the fence because of work schedule?
Also, if you already have tokens for your summons, feel free to send them to me in email:
Keven( at )simmonsasylum.com

Malkavian_Andi
November 26th, 2015, 22:23
I can make it, but it would still mean less sleep for me. I just need to know whether there'll be a game tomorrow or not ^^

bigboom
November 26th, 2015, 23:39
I'm interested but can't make that time slot this weekend. I'll reflect this on the calendar.

I don't have a character at the right level, so if this starts up on a different weekend, I'll join with a pregen. Happy to play any pregen the group may need...

KevenSimmons
November 26th, 2015, 23:46
Still a little light on players so let's make the first session on the 4th and hopefully pick up another player between now and then.

aerine
November 27th, 2015, 01:09
Ok, here is the character, and the photo. However, I am waiting on Holognome to have my last chronicle...

Blackfoot
November 27th, 2015, 14:11
OK. I think I can make that work. Sign me up... I have a game ending right before some of those dates.. so I'll be hustling to the sessions... Hmm.. now who to play.. Levels are 4-6? Maybe I'll go with my Necromancer Prindlemire.
He's Level 6 and I want to play him on SLOW progression.
I'll get you the files a little later on.

Prindlemire's Inventory Tracking Sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eSipIXzQaoAoI6JHavtXtH_kFJ7h4w8wCd3iphHzzmU/edit?usp=sharing)

KevenSimmons
November 27th, 2015, 23:56
Nice to have you joining Blackfoot - that fills out the table. Any further requests will be on wait-list.

Blackfoot
November 29th, 2015, 05:14
Did some serious vacillating on what to take for my 1st (and only) 3rd Level spell. There are a few good ones but no really good Necromantic ones. Fly, Fireball, Dispel Magic.. are all good.. Fireball is always a solid choice. I think I'm going to go with 'Howling Agony' it is a good overall, untyped debuff that hits multiple targets. Prindlemire really has few 'damage' spells and his DC for Fireball wouldn't be great (although his DCs for necromancy are pretty awesome)
Does anyone have any experience with this spell? Seems like it is a 'debuff or staggered' with a short duration... but it should help the party overall without Prin stealing the spotlight by exploding all the baddies.

bigboom
December 2nd, 2015, 07:14
Kevin, do you have a fixed time limit in mind for each session? If not, that's OK, I don't have a time limitation.

I ask only to check if I'll have time to join another game afterwards that's a part of FG Daze weekend.

Update: Oh wait...duh. I just saw that you specified about 5 hours per session. Nevermind me!

bigboom
December 2nd, 2015, 13:24
Looks like we've got a sorcerer, cleric, wizard, and fighter. Any suggestions which pregen class I should pick up for my level 4 pregen? I'm thinking bard, rogue, swashbuckler, or paladin.

Kevin, do you already have pregen XMLs or shall I post it up for you?

Blackfoot
December 2nd, 2015, 15:38
Play whichever pregen seems fun to you. It wouldn't be a bad thing to have some roguish skills as we'll likely be shy on those.. but we will get by regardless.

bigboom
December 3rd, 2015, 03:51
Sounds good to me! I'll roll with the pregen rogue Merisiel.

Kevin, I assume that you don't already have the pregen XML, so I'll post it up here shortly...

bigboom
December 3rd, 2015, 05:35
Here is Merisiel's XML and portrait!

KevenSimmons
December 4th, 2015, 00:06
Thanks for the pregen xml. I've always liked Meri.

aerine
December 4th, 2015, 03:17
I bought chainmail, that is an easy upgrade to do tomorrow before the game. Everything else stays the same.

Blackfoot
December 5th, 2015, 05:41
A larger version for a little clarity on what is Gnome and what is Mustache.

JWMK
December 5th, 2015, 05:47
A larger version for a little clarity on what is Gnome and what is Mustache.

Wow - That is some Nose and Mustache! I will try not to hit them when I am smashing things around you... :)

JWMK

bigboom
December 11th, 2015, 23:51
I'm experiencing some technical issues at the moment. I might be a little delayed, but trying to get online asap!

JWMK
December 11th, 2015, 23:57
Same here, rebooting now to see if that fixes things. See you all soon.

aerine
December 12th, 2015, 07:35
thanks for keeping me up way past my bedtime :P

KevenSimmons
December 12th, 2015, 18:44
Here are the chronicles from the game. Thanks to all of you for making my first PFS game as GM a fun one. Let me know if you find anything wrong with the chronicles.

Blackfoot
December 12th, 2015, 18:46
There is a setting in Adobe that let's you 'lock fields on signing' or something like that.

KevenSimmons
December 12th, 2015, 19:32
I am using NitroPro, but there's probably something similar. I thought the fields were being locked by default, but I guess not.

KevenSimmons
December 12th, 2015, 19:52
Found it. I needed to "Certify" the document, not just "Sign" it. The Certify function has security options that the signing function does not. I replaced the files previously posted.

Blackfoot
December 12th, 2015, 19:58
Looks good. Thanks.

aerine
December 12th, 2015, 20:10
We didn't use the right chronicle... I uploaded one last night, didn't I? I have vague memories of that...

KevenSimmons
December 12th, 2015, 20:33
We didn't use the right chronicle... I uploaded one last night, didn't I? I have vague memories of that...
The one you just posted matches what I used, and it looks like the roll-forward of xp/pp/gp to the new sheet is correct - but I don't claim to be perfect. Where do you see the mismatch ?

aerine
December 12th, 2015, 20:55
because I keep uploading the wrong one. last try. I blame HoloGnome (joke, thank you for putting the time to edit my character).

KevenSimmons
December 12th, 2015, 22:00
OK - I have updated the "chronicle" post above to have the corrected one for Gundred.

bigboom
December 13th, 2015, 01:53
Thanks for running it Keven and congrats on GMing your first one!

What's next??? ;)

KevenSimmons
December 13th, 2015, 03:27
What's next??? ;)

Probably another module - they're already paid for and sitting in my library waiting to be used :)
I have to go through them all again and find one that looks like a good fit for a PFS game.

JWMK
December 14th, 2015, 05:15
Count me in, I had a great time on on that and it nice to play a longer PFS mission like that as well, and by taking it SLOW, it doesn't take away for the fun of progressing. Look forward to what you will find!

Malkavian_Andi
December 14th, 2015, 08:28
I'm in, too. Provided I haven't played it already and can make the time, of course :)