PDA

View Full Version : Old School Player (1st and 2nd Edition) Looking to get my feet wet.

Shepard
November 26th, 2015, 03:46
Hello,

I hope this day finds you doing well.

I am an old school player from the 80s. Ran active campaigns for 16 years. My career has been an obstacle for the past 20-ish years and now I am looking to get my feet wet as a player using the new software.

I am most familiar with The Forgotten Realms.

Looking for some laid-back, chilled-out, mature gamers to play with.

I am available EST. Daily.

`Shepard

JohnD
November 26th, 2015, 04:06
Hi Shepard. Welcome to the FG community... I hope you will find what you are looking for here.

I would say, if you want to find a game, just like face-to-face, it can take some time to find a group that has people you get along with, playing a style of adventure that agrees with you, on the right day and time, and frequency.

It's not as daunting as the above sentence makes it sound, but you'll want to help yourself. Read the LFG forums on a regular basis and when you see a DM posting looking for player(s), reach out and make contact - don't wait for a DM to approach you. The old ratios of 10+ players for each DM still holds true here.

dulux-oz
November 26th, 2015, 05:09
Hi Shepard, and Welcome!

I'll echo what JohnD said - the best way to find a game is to actively look.

In the meantime, you can do yourself and your new GM & Group a favor by learning how to use the software. A good way to do this is to watch some of the excellent Tutorial Videos available on the FG Wiki (assuming you're not already doing this). Damned's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below). Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG forms the foundation of just about all the RPGs we play with FG, and by learning how to use FG wit the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you'll need to know to play any RPG with FG.

And keep on asking questions - we're a pretty friendly bunch here, and nobody minds questions being asked :)

Cheers

Wazoodust
November 26th, 2015, 16:12
Try this one, we need a couple players and the DM and setting are very good
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1644

Shepard
November 29th, 2015, 23:33
Thank you for the advice Gentlemen, much appreciated.

Wazoo, am I understanding the time difference correctly? The game you recommended plays at 1am est?

Thanks!

Andraax
November 29th, 2015, 23:50
I still have an opening in my Tuesday night (8-11pm US/Central) C&C game (very similar to old school D&D).

Shepard
November 30th, 2015, 00:12
Andraax, I am interested but not familiar with the ruleset or character creation. Is the learning curve steep?

Andraax
November 30th, 2015, 00:25
Not if you're familiar with D&D as played in the '80s. Here is the C&C quick start guide (https://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/cnc_qs.pdf).

Wazoodust
November 30th, 2015, 01:02
No, we usually are done around 10, starts 7PM EST

JohnD
December 1st, 2015, 05:04
Hi Shepard. PM me if you are still looking and haven't found something.

GunnarGreybeard
December 1st, 2015, 08:36
Intruder alert! ;-)

LordEntrails
December 1st, 2015, 23:22
Also I'd suggest taking a look at the FGDaze threads and games. They are one day events this coming weekend and would give you a feel for how the software runs as well as an introduction to some of the DMs and players around here.

Shepard
December 3rd, 2015, 18:43
JohnD,

Thank you Sir. It looks like I might have found a group. Anxious to see how it turns out. Thank you for the follow up.

Asturcan
December 13th, 2015, 20:42
Hi Shepard,

Welcome to FG. I’m trying to put together a group for this Xmas. Would you be available after the 24th December? I would like to do LMoP during Xmass holydays and see if we could find an ideal time slot for all and continue play.

AsturCan