PDA

View Full Version : Adventure module.

stimpy1234
February 6th, 2005, 21:37
I have been working on an adventure for a group that I will be running. I figured I would share what I have done and continue to update it. The intro and the first 50ish rooms of the castle/dungeon are there, though may end up being tweaked for where monsters are and difficulty. Feel free to use it and comment on it.

Here it is. (https://www.adventuresomedreams.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61)

I am also hosting this on adventuresomedreams.com (https://www.adventuresomedreams.com) that I found through msd. There is alot more stuff there also so be sure to check it all out.

stimpy1234
February 8th, 2005, 05:38
I have added a bunch to the adventure and also made it smaller. I had originaly used bmp's for my images and when I exported the adventure it ended up being very large. After converting all of the images to jpg's it dropped the size by about 1/4 with all of the images (which the first upload didn't have all of). I still have to finish up one of the levels and the ending. Take a look at the updates and please let me know what you think.

The previous post has the link to the adventure.

richvalle
February 8th, 2005, 15:48
I had taken a very quick look at your first version. Looked nice. Only thing I saw bad were a couple of typos here and there.

rv

stimpy1234
February 8th, 2005, 16:24
Yeah, if someone went through only looking for typos, I would be scared. Thats one of the things to go through before its finished is to check for typos and also format it a little better. Thanks for the reply :D

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 00:18
Hey Stimpy

I JUST got dinjin last night. Want me to start convert your map? Maybe I can start it and then hand it off to someone else to work on more when I get done. Make it a group effort.

:)

rv

stimpy1234
February 9th, 2005, 00:25
If you want to put the work into, I am all for including them!

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 01:14
Well, I'm not sure what is happening. I loaded up your new changes (you have been busy!) and notcied that I had things showing up twice. I figured I must have had the first one still loaded when I loaded up the 2nd. I made a new campaign and tried again and the software crashed. And it crashes every time I tired again. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software and its still crashing. :(

I'll work on it some more tonight but I'm not sure what to try next.

rv

stimpy1234
February 9th, 2005, 01:18
I was getting that too and though it was something in my campain because the demo one that comes with FG came up fine. Then it jsut started working . I will try exporting again and see what happens. Also I have noticed that If you leave a module active when you exit and then load that same campain back up it will leave the stuff from the module saved in the campain so when you activate another module (or the same one) you get duplicates. So just make sure to deactivate the module before exiting.

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 01:55
I was able to get it to work by loading up the campaing that comes with the game and then removing all the maps and then loading up your stuff. Now I just need to figure out how to get dundjinni to go to landscape.

msd
February 9th, 2005, 02:04
Now I just need to figure out how to get dundjinni to go to landscape.

<sarcasm_on>

Ahhh...you've just discovered one of the nice things about Dundjinni

<sarcasm_off>

Basically, to the best of my own knowledge, you can't do this. I always do it post-production in PhotoShop or whatever.

Dundjinni produces pretty maps and for that it is worth it. But, IMHO, the application itself totally sucks.

So many common usability elements are not there it simply boggles the mind...almost as if these people have themselves never used software.

Throw in the licensing terms and its laughable...

Having had my little rant, it does produce *very* pretty maps and from that perspective (which *is* after all the main perspective) is worth the money.

To summarize, post-production... :lol:

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 02:09
Hmm, Yeah I went to their website and found out landscape is not possbile. Man, that boggles the mind.

Hmmm, thats going to make this... interesting.

rv

msd
February 9th, 2005, 02:14
I'm sure everyone has their own post-production routine.

I always up the contrast a bit and lighten things a bit as I find the maps a bit dark for my taste. I also tend to give the colors a little more saturation.

Then I add the text for the licensing and the image and we're good...

But yeah, there's only so much you can do in the app...you just gotta kinda learn what you can do and what is better done in software designed by real developers...

:lol:

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 02:20
Sounds like I'll be handing them off to you when I'm done then. I don't have the software to do that stuff. :)

This will be my first attempts at maps. Don't tell Stimpy but I'm praticing on his maps so mine will be better. :P

rv

msd
February 9th, 2005, 02:25
Sounds like I'll be handing them off to you when I'm done then. I don't have the software to do that stuff. :)

No problems...just let me know when you need me :)

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 04:10
Posted what I have so far in msd's website.

rv

stimpy1234
February 9th, 2005, 05:29
The map is lookin' great! Good job! :D

I should hopefully have all of the basics of all the text done tommorow and then go through and edit. Also change some of the room descriptions so they don't seem like they were done with the same cookie cutter as the 10'x10' room with a chest guarded by an orc.

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 14:08
You know, the more I think about it the more it bothers me that I'm doing the map in 1 square = 10 foot vs 5 foot. Being 10 foot it will be hard to use the tolkens that people have made or use the map as a battle map.

The main reason I started it that way is because I can't turn the page to landscape in Dijin and did not want to have to map 'sideways'. I think I'll have to bite the bullet on it though and give it a try.

Thoughts? I like the idea of sticking to the standard 5 feet.

stimpy1234
February 9th, 2005, 15:09
I think sticking to the standard 5' would be a good idea. You can always do each room seperately and then either me (using gimp), or msd (who sounds to have photoshop and if willing) can splice them togethor after your done. Or we could leave the rooms seperate and use the DC2 maps for walking around and then in battles take out the individual maps that I can link to directly from the description of each room. Whatcha think?

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 16:13
Let me see how much trouble I have turning the map on its side. I might get used to it after a while.

Also I want to see if the whole thing will fit on one map when we double the number of squares. I think it will. If not we'll have to break it up and at that point I might just try doing it non-landscape.

BTW, I don't get a lot of time to do this sort of thing (3 kids at home!) so it will take a while. Hope you are not in a huge hurry. :)

rv

stimpy1234
February 9th, 2005, 16:19
Nope not in any big hurry (though the first map you did for it looked cool so I'm excited to see more).

I have finished the first draft of the adventure. The basics are all there like monsters, items, room descriptions (some are bad), and the overall plot of the adventure. So it should be playable at this time. Take a look.

Here is the link again. (https://www.adventuresomedreams.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61)

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 17:02
Well, I'm glad you liked it!

I'm taking a look right now (during lunch at work). The map won't fit even if I turn it sideways. I'm going to make a couple of chunks and lets see how it works with you putting them back together again.

rv

stimpy1234
February 9th, 2005, 17:06
Sounds good.

richvalle
February 9th, 2005, 18:19
Ok, I was able to make Manor Basement 1 Room 1.

Ummm, that is one big room. You might want to rethink the scale on some of those. I took the liberty of adding some stuff to the room so it was not so empty. Hope you don't mind and I can always remove it if you do.

Check out the torches... thought that was kind of cool.

Posted at msd's site. I removed the first one and replaced it with this one so we don't take up too much room.

https://www.adventuresomedreams.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63

rv

stimpy1234
February 9th, 2005, 19:15
Yeah that would look really empty without the other stuff. Yeah I will have to go through and re-do some stuff. And no worrys about adding stuff. It looks better that way :D

richvalle
February 10th, 2005, 02:35
Stimpy

Room 4 done. See if you can patch the two together and how it looks/works. I'll post it at msd's.

rv

richvalle
February 10th, 2005, 03:34
Rooms 5 and 6 plus part of the outside hallway posted. I'll stop now to see how the patching goes. I'm a little conserned by the file sizes. They are each a half meg + in size. Is there a lot of overhead on each one or will they all be added together for a really large file when we are done?

rv

stimpy1234
February 11th, 2005, 17:55
File size is going to be very large. After I looked at the file size I looked at approximately how large each square was and its about 1-2k for each square in the map. So for something like the first level that is 21x34 squares in the maps that I did and would be 42x68 when in 5' squares. Thats 2856 squares, so were looking at anywhere from almost 3-6+ megs depending on quality. Thats only for the first level. In total for the maps it would end up somewhere aroung 12-24+ megs approximately. That might be a tad too large. Thoughts?

richvalle
February 11th, 2005, 18:12
I used gimp to cut off the unused white squares on the map for room 1. The first time I used it and saved I said I wanted 100% quality. The 2nd time I used the default 85% and I think the file size dropped quite a bit.

Maybe we can try dropping it down to 75% and see?

rv

Nightshade
October 29th, 2007, 00:49
If anyone reads this, where do I find this adventure? Looked around adventureland, but not sure where to get it.

Griogre
October 29th, 2007, 01:02
I'm not sure if this was the Wizard's Amulet or the Oath of Kortis or something else. Wizard's Amulet is a free module. You can buy Oath of Kortis at RPGNow. IMPORTANT - these are FG1 modules and as far as I know have not been converted to FG2 by the makers.

The top sticky post in this forum is about the Wizard's Amulet. You can find more about them below.

https://www.mapventures.com/freebies.html