PDA

View Full Version : Trading Magic Item Certificates Online?

Krampus
November 24th, 2015, 16:10
I'm not finding anything that says that trading certificates online is not AL legal and was wondering if there was a forum or place that people are already doing this? I DM'd every convention in the area during season 2 because we where short on AL judges during the slots I was supposed to play. Now my Warlock is 2nd tier and unable to play DDEX2-8 where the Rod of the Pact Keeper +1(uncommon) was available (which I ran multiple times and salivated each game when the item was discovered. Oh, the torture!) .

I know its a far shot but I'm looking for someone who may have rebuilt their character when Sword Coast came out and rebuilding 2nd tier characters was possible... and now finds themselves in possession of a rod that they are willing to trade. Anyone? Anyone?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place. I was unsure of where to post but thought FG was a good place to ask the question.)

mightymax474
November 24th, 2015, 16:18
I have one, but the only item I want is a belt of fire giant strength. You don't find those too often.

Krampus
November 24th, 2015, 18:32
I'm familiar with all the expeditions from season 1 & 2, as well as all the released expeditions from season 3 (as of a few weeks ago anyway) and can tell you that there's not an Expedition that contains the Belt of Fire Giant Strength so there would be no certificate for me to have in order to trade you.

mightymax474
November 24th, 2015, 21:38
Yeah, I know it comes from the D&D Epic Blood Above Blood Below. And i just checked and I don't have the +1 Rod of the pactkeeper. Sorry.

But your idea sounds pretty good! We should make a trade form, and a feedback form.

Krampus
November 25th, 2015, 16:52
That's too bad about the Rod, but I agree about the trade form and feedback forms! I looked for quite a while the other day and was really surprised that there's not something like that already out there.

FSHSchmo
December 3rd, 2015, 19:02
Please see below for the official word on magic certs within AL taken from the most recent season player's guide -

Magic items are rare and wondrous things, with permanent magic items even more so. At the end of some sessions, your group might have a small number of magic items to divide up among the characters. The Dungeon Master helps the group determine who gets the magic items, but in general, if everyone in the group is in agreement that a specific character should receive a magic item, then that character gets it.
If you receive a magic item, write the item in the adventure notes section of your adventure logsheet. If the item is a consumable item (a potion, scroll, or other one-use item), you can also write it on your character sheet, but make sure to erase or cross it out when you use it.
If the item is a permanent magic item, write the item in the adventure notes section of your adventure logsheet and on your character sheet. In addition, you’ll need to update the number of magic items noted in the magic item column on the logsheet (above the adventure notes). Your total number of permanent magic items helps determine who gets future magic items found in adventures. Permanent magic items that are broken, lost, stolen, discarded, or destroyed still count against your total number of magic items.
Certificates - Some events offer certificates for magic items or other rewards. Most certificates are representations of an item earned in an adventure. Some magic items have a trade log on them. If you have a certificate of a magic item, it might unlock the ability to trade the item to another character. You cannot trade magic items without a certificate. Characters can trade magic items only on a one-for-one basis, and can trade items only of equivalent rarity. The rarity of each magic item is noted on the certificate. Fill out the trade log to trade the magic item to another character. If a magic item doesn’t have a trade log on it, it cannot be traded. Most magic items can be traded a maximum of two times before being locked to the last owner. You do not need a certificate to show you have ownership of a magic item. Your adventure logsheet should have that information. If you lend out your magic items during play to other characters, they revert back to your ownership at the end of the session. There are also a few special certificates that aren’t obtainable through normal play. These certificates might provide additional benefits or exceptions to some of the rules in this document.

I know at some of the major cons they have a trading spot setup (Fai Chen's Fantastical Fair) and folks can trade them. So in short if you do not have a cert for the item you are not "legally" allowed to trade the item.

Krampus
December 3rd, 2015, 19:29
Right. Thanks. I do understand that but between Con's and even during cons it can be tough to find other players looking to trade certificates. I think it would be a good idea to make a thread where you can list the certificates you have and their rarity so you can barter within the parameters of what was quoted above. I can't find anything stating that trades online would be illegal (assuming certs are owned for items) so was reaching out here to verify that and to get feelers for what everyone else thought.

FSHSchmo
December 3rd, 2015, 19:37
Right. Thanks. I do understand that but between Con's and even during cons it can be tough to find other players looking to trade certificates. I think it would be a good idea to make a thread where you can list the certificates you have and their rarity so you can barter within the parameters of what was quoted above. I can't find anything stating that trades online would be illegal (assuming certs are owned for items) so was reaching out here to verify that and to get feelers for what everyone else thought.

I will ask the higher ups and have an answer for you shortly :D

FSHSchmo
December 3rd, 2015, 21:36

I will ask the higher ups and have an answer for you shortly :D

I checked with my AL Regional Coordinator and trading is allowed per the guidelines below and they do have a community setup for such a thing. The Fair at the cons is mainly for items not offered during adventures. Here is a link to the Facebook community - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1004726586226169/

Krampus
December 3rd, 2015, 21:57
Awesome! You sir, are a rockstar. Much appreciated.

FSHSchmo
December 7th, 2015, 16:55
Awesome! You sir, are a rockstar. Much appreciated.

You bet! Love the name btw. Ran a homebrew last week where you were the end villian... The kids got taken, along with the parties halfling.