PDA

View Full Version : miniature combat 3.5 style

nathal
February 6th, 2005, 20:02
I really like how the grid is user defined, scaled to whatever sort of token is preferred by the GM.

However, is there going to be any sort of effort put into creating a visual tactical battle grid, or extra features to quicken the setup and execution of skirmish battles, wherein the tokens can be made to associate automatically with combat sheet entries?

For example, it would be neat if dragging and dropping a monster icon onto a token would associate the two, and automatically generate an entry for that creature in the combat sheet, adding in the corresponding letter designation. Then, perhaps, dragging wounds onto the token automatically being applied to the entry on the combat sheet.

I guess this wouldn't work too well if the GM abandons the letter assigned tokens for picture icons. But can a GM assign a letter or number to a particular imported monster icon?

Maybe I'm babbling, but this program has laid the foundation for an incredible interface for interactive 3.5 miniature battles (or even the skirmish game), and with a few added miniature-focused features it would burn out the competition completely.

Thoughts?

Dupre
February 9th, 2005, 20:47
Good ideas. We have thought of linking tokens with combat tracker entries, but how this would actually work is in the open.

One approach would be to add a column to the combat tracker from which you can drag tokens to maps. Additionally, personality objects could also have a token linked to them so when you add a personality to the combat tracker, the token would appear there for you to drag elsewhere. Once the token is placed on a map, it would be able to display the name or damage taken or both.

Tokens are getting new features, but this sort of linking won't be in the 1.04 patch. Maybe next one though.

nathal
February 10th, 2005, 02:13
Good ideas. We have thought of linking tokens with combat tracker entries, but how this would actually work is in the open.

It would be great if a creature could be selected at once for DM chat, for its token movement and for the combat tracker, all selected and/or activated in one mouse click. That would make things really fast.

Also, when minimizing a character or monster stat sheet, none are distinguishable from each other. If each had a number, letter, or even the first part of the creature or NPCs name on the "round coin thingy", it would be easier to arrange and select those quickly. Of course, if double clicking the monsters name on the DMs list below the chat window brought up their stat cards, that would be neat (much like character portraits can bring up the stat sheets for PCs).

One approach would be to add a column to the combat tracker from which you can drag tokens to maps. Additionally, personality objects could also have a token linked to them so when you add a personality to the combat tracker, the token would appear there for you to drag elsewhere. Once the token is placed on a map, it would be able to display the name or damage taken or both.

Sounds great. Also, it would be splendid if you were to include very basic geometric tokens, arranged in circles or squares to fit standard 3.5 sizes, each color coded with either letters or numbers (DMs choice). So if I wanted to drop a large creature on the map quickly, I wouldn't need to worry about finding a token with an actual picture of an ogre, I would just select ogre, which would bring up a color-coded token filling the 2x2 area (or whatever it is). I could change the tokens color with its number being sequentially assigned, ideally.

Tokens are getting new features, but this sort of linking won't be in the 1.04 patch. Maybe next one though.

Please, please consider the very simple colored and numbered tokens in sizes appropriate to a grid of 5' in accordance with 3.5 rules. Remove the NEED for DMs to find just the right token for every darned creature. Note, however, I'm not suggesting a removal of the user defined grid on imported maps. I'd just like to see the best of both worlds.

Also on my wish list:

An option for a super quick battle mat to be displayed. A selectable grid made to work with the basic color-coded and numbered tokens I suggested (those tokens automatically associated with creatures of the appropriate size). DMs could replace a creatures basic token with an actual picture (like a Reaper mini 2D, or something home brewed), great for commanding monsters or important NPCs, but...well, you get the idea I'm sure.