PDA

View Full Version : A learned tidbit about sharing tables from a mod file.

Baron28
November 23rd, 2015, 19:09
A little background. I'm "that DM" who one night had nothing better to do than create the treasure tables in the DMG by hand in FG and all of the related tables. When you rolled on a given treasure table, it would auto roll on the related tables to tell you how many gold pieces you got for looting a body. I created a mod file and include it in all of my campaigns. When I opened the tables mod file, I could see all of the tables created and would share each table one-by-one. (Suggestion for a future enhancement: Provide a select all and click one button to share all tables). When I would close down my game session for the night and open it up the next time, the sharing was gone! Ugh! What I figured out is if I unlock and lock the tables, the icon next to each table would look like it had been modified within the campaign. I shared each table one-by-one (again)....and Huzzah! The table sharing persists after closing down and opening the campaign.

Question to FG Devs: Is this intended behavior (a feature) or did I stumble onto a bug? Another question to the DEVS: Am I allowed to share this mod file with community or no because of copyright issues?

Zacchaeus
November 23rd, 2015, 19:13
Yes it's intended, and No you cannot.

Andraax
November 23rd, 2015, 19:23
If you make the module "allow players to open" and the player opens the module, they should see all the tables without having to share each one individually.

Baron28
November 23rd, 2015, 19:39
If you make the module "allow players to open" and the player opens the module, they should see all the tables without having to share each one individually.

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Zacchaeus
November 23rd, 2015, 21:19
Just reading this again. Why are you sharing Treasure Tables with players?

Baron28
November 23rd, 2015, 21:35
Just reading this again. Why are you sharing Treasure Tables with players?

Say they kill 2 goblins. I spin up the individual treasure table: CR 0-4 and ask a character rummaging through the bodies to roll on the table 2 times. I tabulate the results in a parcel, share the parcel with the party and drop it in the party sheet.

It puts the onus on the players to determine what goodies they receive for their efforts and thus take the pressure off of the DM. Plus it adds a little bit of randomness. Say the character rolled really high and collected platinum pieces off the one of the goblins. I could use that tidbit of randomness in my story. I won't exactly say how because this scenario actually occurred and I don't want to give away a spoiler.

Zacchaeus
November 23rd, 2015, 22:08
Curiosity satisfied.