PDA

View Full Version : Gargoyle Resistance and Fantasy Grounds

ArteF
November 22nd, 2015, 18:45
Hello,

I'm curious about how magic weapons work against more complicated resistances.

The Gargoyle in 5e reads that it is resistant to slashing, piercing, bludgeoning damage from non-magical sources that aren't adamantine.

So a weapon that is magical should be able to beat that resistance? Or does that magical weapon have to be adamantine also?

When I tested this situation out in Fantasy Grounds I found that the system will not recognize magical weapons for the purpose of overcoming that resistance.

The weapon has a damage property of "slashing, magic" I tried again with "slashing, magic, adamantine". Even in the case with adamantine added it still was partially resisted.

With that being said, fire or any other element will ignore that resistance. Is this the way it was intended?

I looked at the coding for it and it showed !magic, !adamantine but I'm not sure what the "!" is about. I saw a spell example and read it which was "Fiendish Resilience" but the description clearly says that magic and silver get through it; the example used !magic, !silver as things that get through the resistances.

I assume that the ! means "not" but I'm not sure, so when it says "RESIST: slashing... ,!magic, !adamantine" it should be allowing damage through of those types... any advice on this would be appreciated.

Zacchaeus
November 22nd, 2015, 19:01
THe expression RESIST: slashing, piercing, bludgeoning, !magic means that the target will resist those damage types except where the source is magic. The Gargoyle will resit those damages provided the source isn't magical or adamantine. To make a weapon magical you are correct in that you append ,magic after the damage type (so piercing, magic). That will make the weapon go through the Gargoyle's resistance. Similarly if it's adamtantine then use piercing, adamantine

ArteF
November 22nd, 2015, 19:12
That's what I thought, for some reason in another game the damage wasn't going through regardless of adamantine or magic tag being in the damage section.

Thanks for explaining the intent of the coding.

Zacchaeus
November 22nd, 2015, 22:01
I should have said of course that you can include both magic and adamantine in the expressions. So the Gargoyle's resistance is RESIST:bludgeoning, piercing, slashing, !magic,!adamanitine and a magical adamantine weapon would be (say) piercing, magic, adamantine.

ArteF
November 22nd, 2015, 22:53
Right, the game I was in was not recognizing the !magic, !adamantine. So in short the issue dealt with the hosts coding. I'm not sure what was wrong with his side but when I tested a normal Gargoyle out on my side it acted as I'd expect. Resisting bludgeoning, slashing and piercing but not resisting bludgeoning, magic and all the other combinations with either ,magic or ,adamantine.

In our game the damage source was "piercing, magic" and it was resisting it. When I tested it out on my game and on a friends the damage went through, so I feel the issue is on his end.

Anyway thank you very much for the confirmation.

And yea in his game I made a damage source with "piercing, magic, adamantine" and it still resisted it.

Moon Wizard
November 22nd, 2015, 23:56
The GM might be using an extensions which replaces the ActionDamage script in the ruleset with older code.

Regards,
JPG