PDA

View Full Version : FG Crashing- a lot.

goonalan
November 22nd, 2015, 18:22
Hi there, been using FG for a while, Ultimate license.

Since updates 3.1.3 & 3.1.4 FG has been crashing every now and then- not often 2-3 times in total, I get the spinning circle and message- FantasyGrounds.exe is not responding- do I want to a) wait or b) close

If I a) wait then nothing happens- I left it for 30 minutes one time- nada.
If I b) close then it shuts down but when I restart FG it it just does the same thing again (on the loading screen), the only way I can get back in is by restarting my machine and going again- although once that didn't work, I had to restart a second time.

This afternoon it has crashed out 4 times in maybe 2 hours.

Just to note I have no actual players connected, except me via local host- I'm just checking out the guys upcoming encounters for our Wednesday night session in LMOP (#15).

My PC is working fine otherwise- no error messages, plenty of other games played via Steam etc- no issues. This only happens with FG.
My internet connection is good- new router, had it 6-8 weeks, been using it to play lots of stuff including FG online every week with 5 other guys dotted all around europe- no issues.
No outstanding updates etc.

Any suggestions?

If I need to uninstall and reinstall then can someone advise how to do this without compromising all the campaigns/data/PCs I've got saved- sorry I'm not a computer guy.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks goonalan

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2015, 18:33
What operating system are you using? If it's windows, is it 32 or 64-bit?

If Windows, keep the Windows task mamager open on the processes tab and monitor how much memory FantasyGrounds.exe is using - what value is it when FG crashes/stops responding?

goonalan
November 22nd, 2015, 21:51
What operating system are you using? If it's windows, is it 32 or 64-bit?

If Windows, keep the Windows task mamager open on the processes tab and monitor how much memory FantasyGrounds.exe is using - what value is it when FG crashes/stops responding?

Trying to replicate it but not getting it to stop responding.

But in answer to your questions- I'm using Windows 32
a) FG is using 920,000 k at rest
b) FG (2nd) Local Host is using 440,000 k at rest

Replicating what I was doing earlier the numbers jump to a) 970,000 k and b) 500,000 k

I then tried to make it crash by opening 70+ windows and making lots of rolls, the numbers went up to a) 1,025,000 k and b) 525,000

When I then exited b) FG (using Local Host) I got some spinning circle not responding (but not on the main FG), although it soon went away and closed down fine, the numbers at this point were as above.

CPU usage at rest 1-2% with everything open 10%
Physical Memory usage at rest 44-50% with everything open 53%

Cheers Paul

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2015, 22:05
On 32-bit Windows FG will start to misbehave after 1.5GB of memory use on an individual instance - with the frequently resulting in a crash. Keep an eye on the memory usage in future and see if this might be the issue. If this is the case, one of the causes can be having a lot of tokens in the <FG App Data>\tokens directory (not in modules) as these are all loaded at runtime and take a lot of memory.

goonalan
November 22nd, 2015, 22:40
Got it to stop responding again- not really trying to do so but it did all the same. Same set up as before with FG & FG (Local Host)- numbers as follows

a) FG is using 1,150,000 k at rest
b) FG (2nd) Local Host is using 330,000 k at rest

And when stopped responding-

a) FG is using 1,154,000 k
b) FG (2nd) Local Host is using 440,000 k

I've got a shed load of tokens connected- I'll ditch a lot of these.

See how it goes.

Thanks as always- superb piece of software, wonderful support in the forums.

Very much appreciated.

Cheers Paul

goonalan
November 22nd, 2015, 23:21
Right so dumped 170 Meg of tokens, back up and running-

a) FG between 500,000 k at rest and 545,000 k in play
b) FG (Local Host) 300,000 k at rest and 325,000 k in play

And it stopped responding again- CPU usage 10% max Memory usage 35%

Help.

Thanks goonalan

Trenloe
November 22nd, 2015, 23:27
OK, more info please:

What ruleset are you running?
What extensions, if any, are you running?
What modules do you have open?
Are you doing anything when it stops responding? e.g. sharing a map, opening something, etc..
Are you using any backup/cloud sync application to backup/sync your live FG data?
Confirm you are only running one instance of the player side connecting via localhost?

goonalan
November 22nd, 2015, 23:59
OK, more info please:

What ruleset are you running? D&D 5e
What extensions, if any, are you running? 5e Theme- Wizards, 5e LMOP Decal & PHB Decal
What modules do you have open? Previously LMOP & PHB, now KOTS (converted to 5e) & PHB
Are you doing anything when it stops responding? e.g. sharing a map, opening something, etc.. Just had 6th crash today, doing lots of different things every time, from memory- Pressing next actor, targeting enemy, drawing pointer, loading map, and two others I can't remember, not the same thing twice.
Are you using any backup/cloud sync application to backup/sync your live FG data? Nope.
Confirm you are only running one instance of the player side connecting via localhost? Correct- FG and one instance via Localhost

Just crashed again- numbers same as last time a) 520,000 b) 330,000 when no response.

Just to reiterate I've never experienced this before with FG, I updated 3.1.3 & 3.1.4 and it stopped responding in the next session I used it, and then once or twice more since, today it has stopped responding 6 times in maybe 4 hours (off and on) of play.

Game is running significantly faster now tokens dumped, initial start up time now less than 1 min- previously averaged about 2-3 min.

Thanks again.

goonalan
November 23rd, 2015, 00:10
A little more info, this is happening more often than I thought- been into Action Center reliability and problem history- all FG

5th Nov Stopped Responding x1
12th Nov Stopped Responding x3
14th Nov Stopped Responding x3
15th Nov Stopped Responding x1
18th Nov Stopped Responding x1
21st Nov Stopped Responding x1
22nd Nov Stopped Responding x13 (yeah, thirteen)

Been back through to August- no other instances.

Last bit and every time it stops responding and I exit I have to restart the machine before restarting FG.

Everything else working fine.

Cheers PDR

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2015, 01:03
Everything looks fine. All I can think of before a reinstall (which you can do easily without losing your data) is to check the versions reported in the FG chat window when you load up the campaign. What version is reported for both the 5E *and* CoreRPG rulesets?

ddavison
November 23rd, 2015, 01:35
What path do you have set for your Application Data Folder and your Program Folder within your FG settings. If it just sits open and you don't do anything, does it crash? If so, the only action that should be occurring in the background would be a save operation every 5 mins or so. Can you launch a fresh campaign and type /save into the chat window and does it crash still?

Other things to check would be upgrading the graphics drivers for your system. Are you connected to the Internet when you are running or off? If it started behaving this way, is it possible that your system performed an automatic update before it starting acting this way on November 5th?

goonalan
November 23rd, 2015, 21:47
Everything looks fine. All I can think of before a reinstall (which you can do easily without losing your data) is to check the versions reported in the FG chat window when you load up the campaign. What version is reported for both the 5E *and* CoreRPG rulesets?

Sorry for late reply, only just getting in from work.

Reports 3.1.3 for 5e and CoreRPG.

I take I just uninstall through Control Panel-Programmes & Features- Uninstall.

Sorry for asking just not great at this.

Cheers PDR

goonalan
November 23rd, 2015, 21:55
What path do you have set for your Application Data Folder and your Program Folder within your FG settings. If it just sits open and you don't do anything, does it crash? If so, the only action that should be occurring in the background would be a save operation every 5 mins or so. Can you launch a fresh campaign and type /save into the chat window and does it crash still?

Other things to check would be upgrading the graphics drivers for your system. Are you connected to the Internet when you are running or off? If it started behaving this way, is it possible that your system performed an automatic update before it starting acting this way on November 5th?

App Directory: C:\Program Files (x86)\Fantasy Grounds II
Data Directory: C:\Users\Paul\Documents\Fantasy_Grounds_Data

When I leave it doing nothing it doesn't crash- it only crashes when I have half-a-dozen windows open and I'm doing something like combat, or moving through init tracker, or else (once only) when I'm sending map to localhost.

I have no problems with /save function- I use it quite a lot but it's never crashed when I'm using it.

I am always connected to the internet when running FG, even when I'm just making changes- I usually play (DM) two sessions of FG/week with players in other countries.

I'm sorry to say I have no idea how to do anything with graphics drivers, I'll have a nose around and see what I can find but I'm not that up on such things.

Thanks as always.

Trenloe
November 23rd, 2015, 23:27
I take I just uninstall through Control Panel-Programmes & Features- Uninstall.
Yeah, your data should remain.

However, if you're worried about losing any of your FG data, backup your data directory before doing an uninstall. It should be left in place, but better to be safe than sorry.

goonalan
November 23rd, 2015, 23:48
Yeah, your data should remain.

However, if you're worried about losing any of your FG data, backup your data directory before doing an uninstall. It should be left in place, but better to be safe than sorry.

Except FG doesn't appear in the list of programs I can uninstall or change...

Er... any suggestions?

damned
November 24th, 2015, 00:24
Hey goonalan - can you test it in a New Campaign?
Yuo may have a corruption in your current DB?

goonalan
November 24th, 2015, 00:42
Hey goonalan - can you test it in a New Campaign?
Yuo may have a corruption in your current DB?

I'll try this but I've just uninstalled FG and then reinstalled, late now but I'll try to put it to the test tomorrow.

Just had a brief look through and everything is as it should be.

Re the campaigns however I have several built- or in the process of being built, they all stop working.

But I'll look into it tomorrow.

Thanks goonalan

Moon Wizard
November 24th, 2015, 02:28
Can you attach the modulestate.xml file and extensionstate.xml from your campaign directory in the FG data folder?

This will tell us which modules and extensions you have loaded to see if I can recreate.

Otherwise, I may need to get a copy of the whole campaign directory, and more detailed steps for which Windows you are opening.

Thanks,
JPG

goonalan
November 24th, 2015, 18:33
Can you attach the modulestate.xml file and extensionstate.xml from your campaign directory in the FG data folder?

This will tell us which modules and extensions you have loaded to see if I can recreate.

Otherwise, I may need to get a copy of the whole campaign directory, and more detailed steps for which Windows you are opening.

Thanks,
JPG

I will endeavor to do so, however before I do that I'm going to attempt to put the newly installed version of FG to the test- that said I have an terrifying work load this evening so it might not get done, which is a shame because I'm gaming tomorrow evening on FG- interestingly FG has only stopped working once in game, and I have 5 other guys dotted all around europe in game, with skype and shed load of other stuff running. It falls over, almost exclusively- now I think about it, when I have nothing much else running (except Steam- for obvious reasons) and have one localhost connection.

Cheers Paul

Fantastic piece of kit FG.

goonalan
November 26th, 2015, 19:27

Thanks,
JPG

Hi there- had a couple of problems in-game last night, did it again after 10 minutes in-game, we hadn't even started doing anything just talking about last night's game- maybe one window open (Party Inventory/XP etc)- just went to spinning circle. This is with five guys connected and dispersed all over europe- only skype running with FG.

Then all went well- 3 hours in game with lots of windows open and plenty of action- no issues.

Said goodnight to the guys at the end of the game, started just going through PCs and checking things for next session- maybe 2-3 windows open at any one time- left the PC to go and get a coffee, came back ten minutes later and on the spinning circle again, I was away for at least 10 minutes so FG was doing nothing.

Had Task Manager running all the while- FG idling at about 500-600,000 Max at 745,000 but when FG stopped working the numbers were towards the lower end, first crash maybe 450,000; one after the game 680,000.

No other machines/devices running in the house.

modulestate.xml and extensionstate.xml files from last nights campaign attached.

Thanks in advance.

Moon Wizard
November 27th, 2015, 03:03
Hmm, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary in the state files. It looks pretty straightforward.

A couple more questions:
* Which Windows OS are you running? (Assuming Windows 7, 8 or 10; since you mentioned Action Center previously.)
* Are you using OneDrive and/or DropBox? If so, can you check if your FG data directory is being covered by either of them.

Also, can you zip up the following files, load into DropBox or another file share location, and send to [email protected]?
* Entire campaign directory (including all state files, db.xml, images, etc.) inside campaigns subfolder of FG Data directory.
* Entire tokens directory inside FG Data directory.
* A copy of the Trap and Hazard Examples module

Thanks,
JPG

goonalan
December 2nd, 2015, 18:08
Hmm, I'm not seeing anything out of the ordinary in the state files. It looks pretty straightforward.

A couple more questions:
* Which Windows OS are you running? (Assuming Windows 7, 8 or 10; since you mentioned Action Center previously.)
* Are you using OneDrive and/or DropBox? If so, can you check if your FG data directory is being covered by either of them.

Also, can you zip up the following files, load into DropBox or another file share location, and send to [email protected]?
* Entire campaign directory (including all state files, db.xml, images, etc.) inside campaigns subfolder of FG Data directory.
* Entire tokens directory inside FG Data directory.
* A copy of the Trap and Hazard Examples module

Thanks,
JPG

Sorry not got back to you but work hectic, and... FG seems to be working, we're gaming again tonight but it's not done anything suspicious in the intervening week, although- as I say, not been able to get on FG much.

Thanks again for taking the time- much appreciated.

Cheers goonalan