PDA

View Full Version : Rolling dice in Managing Characters section doesn't work...

Selvarin
November 21st, 2015, 21:35
For about a month--at least one update ago--my dice stopped working. Here's what I'm doing:

1) Start Fantasy Grounds
2) Check for updates, if any
3) Choose 'Manage Characters'
4) Click 'Start'
5) Click the Roll tab, set it to 6 rolls of 4, drop 1 and modify by 0
6) Roll dice, such as 4d6, they roll and...the results aren't collected in the 'Dice Rolled' rows.

Who else is having this problem, and how was this solved?

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2015, 21:39
This is working as expected for me. I know this is a silly question but you are rolling the 4 dice into the dice rolling window right?

Selvarin
November 21st, 2015, 21:49
Yes, that's correct. I'm aware that dice results aren't recorded outside of that window/boundary, so I aim them and roll. And despite landing within that space, the program doesn't record the results.

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2015, 21:55
I can't think of anything else other than something is maybe wrong with your installation. Is everything else working ok?

Selvarin
November 21st, 2015, 22:24
That's one thing I'm wondering about, earlier when I went into Control Panel/Programs & Features to uninstall or repair the installation....and I see nothing saying Fantasy Grounds, FG, SmiteWorks, any of that. I downloaded the installer once more and thought maybe I could get some sort of option to modify/repair/remove then, but no dice (pun intended--couldn't help myself).

Since I never confirmed that the initial installation was registered in Programs & Features, I can't say for sure that a patch update did this...but usually it's a red flag if it's installed, you know it did, but it isn't registering properly in the system. I'd hate to do it, but as a last resort I guess I can delete the reg keys, delete the folder structure, and run the installer again. Wanted to see if this was a known quirk or something before going down that route.

(Side note: I actually do software packaging/troubleshooting as part of my day job, although my scripting skills are 'meh' and I'm not a coder. Unfortunately I'm used to dealing with archaic commercial software installers or badly-written ones at work. Now I'm curious about how this one does its thing...)

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2015, 22:32
Hmm, sounds like the installation didn't go properly but I'm not an expert in these matters. Re-installing sounds like a plan at the moment though.

Moon Wizard
November 22nd, 2015, 00:51
Here's what I just tried, and it seems to be working:

* Start FG
* Choose Manage Characters button.
* Choose 5E in the Rulesets list.
* Click Start button.
* Click Roll tab on chat window.
* Choose 6/4/1/0 on the bottom of the Roll tab.
* Pick up d6, right click 3 times, and roll in the chat window.
* The dice roll appears in the top row of the Roll tab.

If it's still not working, please let us know anything else you can think of different than what I did:
* Also, which ruleset in Rulesets list of the launcher, or are you selecting a campaign entry?

Regards,
JPG

Selvarin
November 22nd, 2015, 16:34
I went down the list and no change in results. (No problems with v. 3.13, it started when it updated to 3.14.)

With regard to doing a clean install, is there anything special that needs to be done? I removed Fantasy Grounds from the registry, deleted the folder in program files (x86) as well as what was in the Roaming folder within my local user profile.

I'm about to install it on my laptop and retest to see what happens.

Selvarin
November 22nd, 2015, 16:50
(Correction: FG is 3.1.4, the updater is 3.1.5. Don't mean to get that confused.)

With that being said, my desktop workstation and notebook are as follows:

1) Windows 10/x64
2) Avast Antivirus, MalwareBytes

The test/trick you provided works on the notebook (the dice finally record), yet the dice are slow to roll. On the workstation the dice roll at normal speed but aren't recorded. Hmm.

Selvarin
November 22nd, 2015, 17:01
I just realized something.

Never mind the slow dice roll issue--it's documented elsewhere, no biggy. On the notebook, I did not update the settings to have it download the content I've purchased. I have the 5E PHB and Swoird Coast Legends, once they were pulled down/updated on the notebook the dice trick stopped working.

Perhaps that's a clue we've been needing.

Moon Wizard
November 23rd, 2015, 18:45
That shouldn't have any effect on the issue. I have every 5E DLC option installed, and that's how I ran the test.

I was able to recreate (but not consistently) by alternating between swapping chat tabs, selecting the Arrange Dice desktop menu option, and throwing dice. The dice capture area seems to get lost sometimes. In this case, I was able to re-synch the capture area by just switching back to Log tab and rolling dice on the Log tab, then switching back to Roll tab.

I'll have to investigate further to see if I can recreate consistently, and track down the cause.

Regards,
JPG

midas
November 23rd, 2015, 20:38
I was able to duplicate the original poster's issue. These are the steps I took (from Moon's post, with additional info in bold italics):

* Started FG.
* Chose Manage Characters button.
* Chose 5E in the Rulesets list.
* Clicked Start button.
* Clicked Roll tab on chat window.
* Rolled a test using the default 6/3/1/0 configuration, was successful.
* Changed number of dice from 3 to 4.
* Picked up d6, right clicked 3 times, and rolled in the chat window.
* Nothing happened, dice dropped in window but no scores were recorded.
* Repeated the above steps several times to no effect, including changing number of dice back to 3 (and back to 4 again after it still didn't work).
* Clicked on Log tab, then back onto Roll tab.
* Picked up d6, right clicked 3 times and rolled in the chat window.
* The dice roll appeared in the top row of the Roll tab.

This behavior did not happen every time--I closed and reopened 3-4 times and repeated the above steps with it working fine each time, then on the 5th time it happened again. It seems to be a small UI bug (since clicking another tab and going back seemed to resolve it).

This test was done on my machine at work (Windows 10 Professional, integrated Intel HD Graphics, 3.14 Ultimate license). I'll give it a shot at home tonight (also Windows 10, but with AMD Radeon R9 290X) and see if I can get it to flake out on me there.

**EDIT** Or not, as I see Moon Wizard essentially just said the same thing. :)

leozelig
December 6th, 2015, 14:59
I have also seen this bug pretty consistently. After FG loads for Manage Characters, do not click anything but the Roll tab. The dice will roll off the chat window without recording the results. If you click back to the Log tab and then again to the Roll tab, the dice will roll properly. Also, on initial load, if you click in the chat entry box (even if you don't enter any text) on the Log tab, and then click to the Roll tab, the bug does not occur.

Strange but as long as you know how to work around it, not a big deal.

Edit: Also noticed that the bug only happens when you right-click the d6 and select Roll 3 (instead of left-click and hold while right-clicking for additional dice).

midas
December 6th, 2015, 15:23
When I reproduced it I was left-clicking and then right-clicking for additional dice. It appears it can happen both ways, but yeah--clicking the Log tab and then going back to the Roll tab is the workaround.

gmkieran
January 13th, 2016, 22:53
I was also having this issue, however, when I logged in tonight an update was available (no update when I logged in last night). Post update rolls are recorded correctly with 6/3/0/0, 6/3/1/0 and 6/4/1/0 settings on the Roll tab.

Trenloe
January 13th, 2016, 23:23
I was also having this issue, however, when I logged in tonight an update was available (no update when I logged in last night). Post update rolls are recorded correctly with 6/3/0/0, 6/3/1/0 and 6/4/1/0 settings on the Roll tab.
The update only added the 5E SRD OGL product, so I don't know why that would make any difference.