PDA

View Full Version : Background extension

Mixylplyx
November 20th, 2015, 20:33
I would love to be able to change the background of FG for my players based on the environment they're in. For example, a cave theme when they go spelunking, a tavern scene when they're getting plastered, a forest scene before the ambush, etc. I think it would help with setting the mode better. Any idea how to do it, or would someone want to do it on their own?

Moon Wizard
November 20th, 2015, 20:37
If you are playing using one of the rulesets based on CoreRPG, the background decal options can be added to by using an extension.

There's a sample extension on the forums, but don't have the link handy. Perhaps someone not on a phone can add a link.

Regards,
JPG

Mixylplyx
November 20th, 2015, 21:05
Ya, I've looked over the theme extensions and modified it. What I'm looking for is to change the background in-game, without having to disconnect the players to do so. As they go from environment to environment, I'd like to change the background.

Trenloe
November 20th, 2015, 21:17
MW is mentioning the changeable decal, not a complete theme. The decal is changeable in game through the campaign options Game (GM) -> Desktop: Decal Image setting, available in CoreRPG based rulesets.

See the "Custom Decal Tutorial" here: https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/

Mixylplyx
November 20th, 2015, 22:53
Got it to work! Thanks!

damned
November 21st, 2015, 04:06
and whilst the decals were originally a smaller image in the middle of the screen there is no reason you cant use a larger image (it will add to download time) - right up to 2048px I think...

JimSocks
July 7th, 2016, 15:34
See the "Custom Decal Tutorial" here: https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/

So, the extension downloads, but the link to the tutorial is dead. Does anyone have any advice for how to see what I need to do in order to use the extension and my own decal images? I realize this is an old thread...

JimSocks
July 7th, 2016, 15:35
For some reason it posted my message above twice... at any rate, I still can't figure out how to use the extension with my own images. I can see that it works (it adds the FG Con decal to my list of available in-game decals) but I have no clue how to alter which image it's pickings

damned
July 7th, 2016, 15:47
Hi JimSocks the tutorial link still works.
https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Mask_Decal_Class.pdf

LordEntrails
July 7th, 2016, 17:17
It's pretty easy. Let us know if you need help.

If you want another example of a decal extension, you can look at the 5E Quick Reference extension I have in my signature. I created it based off of the FG-Con example and tutorial. It has 5 or 6 different decals that it adds, so maybe that will help you see and understand which files get changed etc.

Zacchaeus
July 7th, 2016, 17:52
LordEntrails: Did you ever finish that extension? I have a note to sticky it but I see that there was never a post in that linked thread which said that you had.

LordEntrails
July 7th, 2016, 20:28
I thought I posted it. I have it working and use it myself. I'm not totally thrilled with all the graphics though. Let me take another look at the thread and the extension and I will PM you.

JimSocks
July 8th, 2016, 19:56
Oddly enough, the instruction PDF doesn't open on my laptop, but will open on my iPad. I think I am missing something however – I have no idea how to open/edit existing extension files.

I have tried notepad, word pad, word, and even an xml editor I downloaded called EditX XML Editor. I am not sure how to get to the code the instructions speak of, and google searches have been unfruitful so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have never dabbled in XML before.

EDIT: Google success! I changed the extension to a .zip and bingo! I was able to unpack the extensions contents.

Nickademus
July 8th, 2016, 20:10
Google Notepad++

Also, can you give more details on what exactly you are trying to do? I think you made an error, but I can't tell from the given info. FG extensions are custom packed.

Andraax
July 8th, 2016, 20:16
Rename the extension to ".zip", then open like a ZIP file.

Trenloe
July 8th, 2016, 21:02
More info on extension in the developer section of the Wiki here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/modguide/extensions.xcp

Varsuuk
July 8th, 2016, 22:35
Oooh this is good idea... will look to incorporating it into my system.
(DISCLOSURE: ummm ... also really posting so I can get back to this thread easily when my *SQUIRREL* brain distracts me away since I'm in middle of something now and can't check the ext or links...)

Khornishman
July 28th, 2016, 03:49
Can someone please make a video on how to customize an extension, to add a decal, one large enough to cover the "tabletop" in FG? I have made several attempts and must be doing one or more things wrong. They are not showing up in the launcher. I tried to copy and modify one of the existing themes, as the only change I want, at the moment, is to add a specific image and use that as the decal.

Much frustration here.... A video would be a great help.

damned
July 28th, 2016, 05:13
Hola Khornishman try this link:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+DamianHupfeld/posts/89FtsrYFqz6

Khornishman
July 28th, 2016, 06:51
Okay. There is some information missing from that link.

Do I create a folder for the whole extension to go into? Do I zip this folder when I am done?

damned
July 28th, 2016, 07:00
All extensions need to be either:
* unpacked in a folder in the /extensions directory
or
* zipped up without the parent folder and rename the .zip to a .ext and placed directly in the /extensions directory

Khornishman
July 28th, 2016, 07:34
Well, it is just not working for me. Nothing shows up when I open a new campaign, still the default themes. I have attached what I put together, following your instructions via the link.

I placed it, zipped in the extensions folder, changed it from .zip to .ext, but the properties still show it as .zip as file type.

Went to do a system restore, as my default programs to open the files is now screwed up...only to find that the system restore was OFF?..wtf!?

damned
July 28th, 2016, 07:56
Ok... so I downloaded your zip file and extracted the tst folder and placed it in /extensions
I created a new CoreRPG game and selected the FG Con SciFi Theme which is what you left its name as and I get your wallpaper.
What is it you did different to that?
You may have 2 FG Con SciFi Themes and you are selecting the wrong one? You may have loaded a ruleset other than CoreRPG or Numenera which are the sets defined in your extension? You may have zipped it up and not renamed it as .ext? If this .zip is your (un-renamed) .ext file it wont work as it also contains the subfolder - it should only contain the files and graphics subfolder? Are you confusing a background with a decal?

And what has a system restore got to do with an extension? This is just editing an XML file. If you want to open and close EXT files without renaming them download 7zip - it will recognize the file as a zip without renaming it.

Khornishman
July 28th, 2016, 16:44
Okay, I finally got it to work. I was missing a blank folder in /extensions and the extensions.xml and /graphics were sitting in with the other extension folders. I don't know how I did that when extracting the tst (test without the vowel) folder.

As far as system restore, I inadvertently changed the default program for opening the .zip files, there wasn't a program associated before, now there is. As a result, my zipped tst file, although it has a .ext suffix, is still seen as a .zip file (in properties) and is unrecognized by FG. This was not the case before I changed the default program. A system restore would correct this, but that is not an option for me.

Now, I want to remove that decal...

Thanks for your help and patience, damned.

damned
July 28th, 2016, 23:00
If you messed up the extensions - locate a file in Windows Explorer - right click and choose Open With find your app in the list or choose More Apps to find others directly and then select the app and tick the button to Always use this app...

Decals are able to be changed in Options while in game.

LordEntrails
July 28th, 2016, 23:52
Also, you may think you are renaming it to .ext, but if you do not have your folder options set to show extensions, what you are really doing is renaming the file to tst.ext.zip which is wrong. It must be tst.ext

Khornishman
July 29th, 2016, 00:02
Also, you may think you are renaming it to .ext, but if you do not have your folder options set to show extensions, what you are really doing is renaming the file to tst.ext.zip which is wrong. It must be tst.ext

I will have to check this out, thanks!