PDA

View Full Version : Which character upgrade first? (not about FG)

ffujita
November 20th, 2015, 18:50
I have a min/max question that is all about 5e, but not actually about FG.

I've got a 3rd level Halfling Rogue Assassin who at level 12 will have a 20 Dex, the Sharpshooter Feat and the Crossbow Expert Feat. That's four upgrades from now ... Currently I have a 16 Dex and no feats. Which will be best for me from Level 4 to Level 8? +2 to Dex seems the safest upgrade. The Sharpshooter Feat gives me +10 damage when my target's AC is low enough that I can subtract 5 from my to hit roll, which is very awesome, but it'd be easier to subtract 5 from my to hit roll when my Dex is higher. My DM ignores the loading property on Crossbows, so I'm thinking that the Crossbow Expert Feat would give me the option to use my bonus action (by using a hand crossbow) when I don't have to hide (when at least one party member is within 5 feet of one target), but that's all.

Down the road, the Observant feat would be great for its RP possibilities since my passive perception would be 20 :) and the Alert feat would be great because of its synergy with Assassinate, but I think those will have to wait till after level 12.

Is there something important that I'm missing? Is this a no brainer, but I'm just not seeing it?

SirArion
November 21st, 2015, 19:20
Don't forget that Crossbow expert removes the disadvantage on using the crossbow within 5 feet. That is equivalent to removing a -5 penalty.

If you can stay at range then consider dropping the Crossbow Expert idea and maybe think of two levels of ranger. Take archer for a +2 to hit (helps Sharpshooter) and go after humanoids.