PDA

View Full Version : [LFG] for 4E, evenings (any day), U.S. EST

eviorr
November 18th, 2015, 11:24
FG License: demo but will upgrade license if there is an opportunity to play
Time Zone: Eastern time, USA
Day(s) of week, frequency, and time: Available in the evening after 8 PM EST, weekday or weekend. I am looking for a play frequency ranging from every two weeks to once a month -- some flexibility in scheduling sessions (or understanding of the rare absence) is appreciated.
Term: Looking for long-term campaign.
Chat: Prefer voice or voice-video over text-only.

Game System Preferred: D&D 4th ed.
Game System Experience: Most experience with 4e including experience DM'ing, have also played some 5e.
Fantasy Grounds Experience: This would be my first experience with FG; previous VTT experience with Roll20.

Character Type Preferred: For 4e, I have a lot of ideas for potential characters and so could create a fun and interesting character to fill any specific role that is needed.

About me:
I am 36 years old, married with a 5 year old daughter, living in the southeastern U.S. About a year ago, I began playing D&D again after about 20 years hiatus (well, except for computer RPGs). I am pretty flexible and laid back, and prefer a mixture of combat and roleplaying. I like creating interesting characters, and while I try to make functional PC's, I do occasionally make sub-optimal choices (from a mechanics perspective) if it will meet the needs of the character concept and roleplaying. I don't really approach the game as a contest to see who can create the most optimized combat machine. I enjoy humor during the session, and do occasionally drop side comments during play (not sure I could stop that if I tried). I don't mind playing an unaligned or morally dubious character, but am not really interested in an evil-party campaign or one in which the players or their characters are overtly at odds which each other.

jaelwyd
November 18th, 2015, 14:14
I too would love to get into a 4e game, but alas they are nigh impossible to find amidst the sea of 5e :) It might take a while but I'm sure something will come up. You might consider starting a game yourself since you mention DM experience. Its a DM's market here so you would probably have players clamoring to play. Good luck!

eviorr
November 18th, 2015, 23:46
Yeah, I DM'ed a 4e campaign on a different virtual table for about 6 months. It was a lot of fun, but with the amount of effort I put into preparing each session, I could only really put together one session per month. I realized it's impossible to keep a group going at that frequency. One cancelled session, and people start not showing up, etc.

I've toyed with the idea of trying to find a second DM, to have a group that meets every other week. The DMs would run alternating independent campaigns and each player could have two characters, one in each campaign. Each DM would only have to prep one session per month, and would have the opportunity to play a character in the alternating campaign as well. I think with the right group it could work - eventually I might give it a try.

damned
November 19th, 2015, 00:00
My group play alternate weeks and play 5e one week and Star Wars the next week. Most of the group play both games some only play one or the other. Certainly it takes some load off the two GMs and it keeps things interesting. We will run a one shot if a GM cant run their session that week. Using the parser and a DDI subscription you can pull down a very large amount of 4e data in as modules ready for FG use. This helps reduce prep time significantly.

jaelwyd
November 19th, 2015, 01:05
I've toyed with the idea of trying to find a second DM, to have a group that meets every other week. The DMs would run alternating independent campaigns and each player could have two characters, one in each campaign. Each DM would only have to prep one session per month, and would have the opportunity to play a character in the alternating campaign as well. I think with the right group it could work - eventually I might give it a try.

I've never GMed D&D but I might be into this idea. If you ever decide to give it a go let me know.

eviorr
November 19th, 2015, 02:57
Using the parser and a DDI subscription you can pull down a very large amount of 4e data in as modules ready for FG use. This helps reduce prep time significantly.

The parser is awesome. I've already imported everything from my DDi subscription, and it's going to make a huge difference in prep time.

damned
November 19th, 2015, 06:34
learn how to prep an encounter (check the wiki) and learn how combat works (and add everything to combat tracker and from there to the map) and you will have enough ammo to get going!

Locke4VII
November 21st, 2015, 21:22
If you find a game, let me know! I'd love to join something 4e if I can find the time for it.

Using the parser and a DDI subscription you can pull down a very large amount of 4e data in as modules ready for FG use. This helps reduce prep time significantly.

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to do this going forward.

Longrath
November 24th, 2015, 14:34
Our specs are very similar.

I'm growed up - mostly.
Kids in bed by 8 EST
Played PnP since red box basic and fluorescent Varnet sunglasses frames were trendy the first time
CRPGs until five or so years ago when I learned VTTs were a thing.

Looking for a campaign as often as weekly on weeknights, with players who can accept some fumbling over re-learning systems.

jaelwyd
November 24th, 2015, 20:15
I am thinking of setting up a 4e campaign. I've never DMed D&D before ( I actually just started playing recently) but I really want to do 4e so I think I might give it a go. I am getting pretty familiar with FG, and reading up on 4e rules. If you want to get in on this let me know. Also I am open to story ideas. It might take a couple weeks to get going but I would like to try. Weekdays after 8 pm EST is perfect for me ( you know after kiddie bedtime��)

What say you?

Longrath
November 24th, 2015, 21:18
There are good times to be had just getting together, booking the regular time slot, to establish it, and rolling characters, or doing setting research.
I could start up next week on Tuesdays or Thursdays.

If the campaign isn't ready for a couple of weeks, so what? I have a lot of reading 4e rules to do before that.

I'm open to the idea.

jaelwyd
November 24th, 2015, 23:09
There are good times to be had just getting together, booking the regular time slot, to establish it, and rolling characters, or doing setting research.
I could start up next week on Tuesdays or Thursdays.

If the campaign isn't ready for a couple of weeks, so what? I have a lot of reading 4e rules to do before that.

I'm open to the idea.

You know what? You are absolutely right! We are clearly on the same wavelength. ��

Alright, let's do it!

I guess I'll start fishing for players

Rechan
November 25th, 2015, 16:38
I just joined the FG forum (I haven't even downloaded the FG demo yet), but I would be interested. I have a lot of 4e experience and would be up to assisting, etc.

A few questions.

You say "Weekdays" - that's kinda vague. Every night? Or have you not selected one yet.

Would you be interested in using voice chat (Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak) along with the FG base? I've found that at being able to verbalize speeds things up versus pure text-based play.

Level?

What books would be allowed (Or might be easier, what would not be?)

jaelwyd
November 25th, 2015, 17:18
Awesome! Would be glad to have you!

You ask really good questions. I should do a proper post...

It would be once a week, during the week, day TBD. So far I have a vote for tuesday or Thursday.
Using Skype.

Probably level 1 but would take advice on starting higher.

For the sake of making it easy on myself I would say anything from the 3 players handbooks is good. I might give an option to reclass at some point if the story lends itself or you feel like your character no longer fits his class based on RP.

I like to have the players give input in the story and shape it through their actions. I am of the "us" mentality not the "me and them" We all work together to build a good story.

Will take any advice.

DJPhoenix
November 26th, 2015, 04:08
Hey! I'm VERY interested in finding a group of people to actually play with as a player, and Thursdays is perfect for me (although any week night but Friday is fine). Currently I'm the DM of a ongoing campaign (we're at 4 months at 2 times a month now), and in the past I've very rarely been a player, mostly being a DM due to the lack of people willing to DM. I'm very flexible and will get into just about any character. I'm very familiar with 4E, I've been playing it the better part of 4 years now, and I've been into RPGs for more than half my life. I can PM you my Skype (or you PM me yours) if you'd like to talk more rapidly.

jaelwyd
November 26th, 2015, 15:46
Ok looks like we have some interest. I will make a calendar entry and invite everyone on this thread. Then we can hash out the particulars.

eviorr
November 28th, 2015, 23:13
I'm interested, absolutely!

jaelwyd
November 29th, 2015, 07:04
I would also like to play. I'm down today if you get a group together. Ill be in the LFG section of the Fantasy Grounds Team Speak.

We are full at the moment but will consider you #1 on the waitlist :)

Rechan
November 29th, 2015, 07:45
What are folks interested in playing? If not class, at least role?

eviorr
November 29th, 2015, 15:00
Melee-oriented, I'm thinking a defender, but am flexible depending on what other people would like to do.

Delm74
November 29th, 2015, 22:58
I would be interested if any availability opens up.