PDA

View Full Version : Taking NPCs into account when splitting XP?

jimmifett
November 17th, 2015, 19:35
Running 5e, How would I take NPCs into account to properly divide XP from the Party|XP sheet when awarding?
I suppose same could go with gold and items.

Poking around, it looks like I have to create a PC stub entry to handle the xp and loot division...

pacio49
November 17th, 2015, 20:29
When I run an NPC that sticks with the party, instead of rolling up the stats using FG's NPC tab, I spawn a new connection to my own game using "localhost" as the game destination in the "Join game" dialogue box and then roll up the "party NPC" as a separate character sheet. When I act as the DM playing this NPC, I just switch to the second window of Fantasy Grounds and play the NPC as though I were a player in my own game.

To handle the XP, gold, and items split, once the NPC character is logged in to the game session, from the DM's screen I just drag their portrait onto the Party tab. From then on all gold and XP will be split to include the NPC.

It adds the pain of switching windows all the time to play the NPC, but at the same time it separates out those NPCs who advance along with the party and those NPCs who are separate from the party.

Griogre
November 18th, 2015, 02:03
You only have to open the NPC once as PC in a second instance and then you can just open him off the combat track or PC list.

damned
November 18th, 2015, 02:51
You only have to open the NPC once as PC in a second instance and then you can just open him off the combat track or PC list.

Yep. You can run PC-NPCs just like you would Monster-NPCs while logged in as the GM.
Logging in and taking the NPC (once or permanently) has the advantage (or disadvantage) of preventing the players reading her stats.
Of course running the second window also lets you see what the players see and also to have a less cluttered window for playing that NPC-PC.