PDA

View Full Version : Par5e Problem

Elphane
November 17th, 2015, 05:05
Hello All,
New FG user here and new to Par5e.
I have been following Xorn's video tutorial and got the Backgrounds section built.
I am currently creating the Class section and decided to try parsing after inputting only one class, the barbarian.
When I run Par5e I don't even get an indication that the Class parse failed.

Below are a few screenshots and my class.txt file. I would greatly appreciate some help.

Cheers,
Elphane

evilmouse
November 17th, 2015, 06:03
Hello All,
New FG user here and new to Par5e.
I have been following Xorn's video tutorial and got the Backgrounds section built.
I am currently creating the Class section and decided to try parsing after inputting only one class, the barbarian.
When I run Par5e I don't even get an indication that the Class parse failed.

Below are a few screenshots and my class.txt file. I would greatly appreciate some help.

Cheers,
Elphane

Hit Points at 1st LeveI: 12 + your Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher LeveIs:

Turn those "I" in to "L"

here format
!
[##;{Name of Class}\n
[{Descriptive FormattedText Line}\n]
Hit Points\n
Hit Dice: {text}\n
Hit Points at 1st Level: {text}\n
Hit Points at Higher Levels: {text}\n
Proficiencies\n
Armor: {text}\n
Weapons: {text}\n
Tools: {text}\n
Saving Throws: {text}\n
Skills: {text}\n
Equipment\n
[{equipment text}\n]
[#fe;{Name of Feature};[{level},]
[{Feature Text Line}\n]]
#abh;{Name of Class Abilities}
[#ab;{Name of Ability}
[{Ability Text Line}\n]]
[#abf;{Name of Ability Feature};[{level},]
[{Ability FeatureText Line}\n]] \n]

Elphane
November 17th, 2015, 06:19
Thanks evilmouse. For some reason the PDF viewer I use has a lot of quirks like that when it copies to plain text.

Unfortunately that doesn't change anything in regards to it parsing.

I wonder if it's because I'm not bracketing the level options on features.

evilmouse
November 17th, 2015, 07:02
Thanks evilmouse. For some reason the PDF viewer I use has a lot of quirks like that when it copies to plain text.

damned
November 17th, 2015, 07:46

Its not your PDF reader its your OCR.

evilmouse
November 17th, 2015, 07:55
Its not your PDF reader its your OCR.

I gave the person the whole class in a txt maybe that will help

damned
November 17th, 2015, 08:26
you cannot share copyright material... please do not share raw or finished files.

Elphane
November 17th, 2015, 09:28
It did help, I had some formatting weirdness going on.
Which might be whats happening now...or maybe not since its something totally different.

I successfully built the barbarian class, and was able to open it in FG. When I added the Bard class Par5e compiles fine and I get the [Bard -OK] in the console output.
But it doesnt show up in the module in FG. Barbarian does though, from the same class.txt file.

Elphane
November 17th, 2015, 09:29
damned - thank you for the correction about the PDF Viewer vs OCR.

Elphane
November 17th, 2015, 09:36
It looks like Par5e isn't actually writing to the .mod when I hit the parse button.
I just tested it by removing the Barbarian section from class.txt and parsing and when I open up the module in FG Barbarian is still there and Bard is still nowhere to be found.

evilmouse
November 17th, 2015, 18:36
as some told me input it slow then you can create
here how i did i had make each class had its own then i combine into the main book. just make sure i got every class to work

evilmouse
November 17th, 2015, 18:41
like me im still try figue out one section on pg 81 how to write all that.

Elphane
November 17th, 2015, 21:22
Not a bad idea to take it bits and pieces at a time and then mash it all together. I'll try that out when I get home.

Rhylin
November 19th, 2015, 02:30
I'm going to piggy back on here as well...

I've been trying to Parse the book of lost spells, and it's not giving me a .mod file at all...

I've gone through multiple times to redo it from the beginning and I'm not having any luck...

Apolala
November 19th, 2015, 02:41
I'm going to piggy back on here as well...

I've been trying to Parse the book of lost spells, and it's not giving me a .mod file at all...

I've gone through multiple times to redo it from the beginning and I'm not having any luck...

Make sure you got the correct format. You can't just copy paste it as Necromancer Games use a different template than wizards.
Been a while since I parsed that book, so can't remember having any issues after removing the line with "classes". Had to go back multiple times though to fix a spell I need to get the correct effect etc. But it should parse ok.

Rhylin
November 19th, 2015, 03:22
I only did the first 2 classes, and the first cantrip spell.

The problem I'm running into is that it's not parsing and creating a .mod file.

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. .................. [Book of Lost Spells]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]
Parse : spells .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : spells windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Parse : tables .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : tables windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : tables (campaign) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : tables (reference) .................................................. ................ [Completed]

If I uncheck the spells block, I get a different result...

Info : engine build .................................................. ..................... [v0.0.9-b62]
Info : ruleset library .................................................. .......................... [5E]
Info : module .................................................. .................. [Book of Lost Spells]
Info : ruleset .................................................. .................................. [5E]
Info : folder structure .................................................. ............. [Already Exists]
Parse : tables .................................................. ............................ [Completed]
Make : tables windowlists .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : tables (campaign) .................................................. ................. [Completed]
Make : tables (reference) .................................................. ................ [Completed]
Make : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Make : archive data .................................................. ...................... [Completed]
Make : module xml library entries .................................................. ........ [Completed]
Write : module xml data .................................................. ................... [Completed]
Write : module xml syntax .................................................. ............... [Well Formed]
Write : module xml definition .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module images .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module tokens .................................................. ............. [Completed]
Write : copying module thumbnail .................................................. .......... [Completed]
Cook : module archive .................................................. .................... [Completed]
Build : module .................................................. ............................ [Completed]

But I get no information in the module...

Rhylin
November 19th, 2015, 03:53
I think I figured it out. I had all the spell names by class, but only 1 spell, and it was wigging out.

Now, how can I give it a thumbnail?

Apolala
November 19th, 2015, 04:05
To know for sure where the error is try split the spell.txt up. Will it parse with only the Bard cantrip "decorate object"?

#@;
Bard Spells
Cantrips (0 Level)
Decorate Object

##;
Decorate Object
Transmutation cantrip
Components:
Casting Time:
Duration:
Range:
Area of Effect:
Spell Text here bla bla bla.

I didn't want to copy the spell text since it's copyrighted material. But that's the template you could use, I've removed the 2nd line in the spell, the "class line" under Transmutation cantrip that says "bard". I've also removed the Saving Throw line, but that is not necessary as it's after the Area of Effect line, so it comes as Spell text anyways.

Other things to watch out for is double spaces, and spaces at the end of each line. But these can all be fixed in a heartbeat on Notepad++. Just use the replace feature and search for " " (two spaces without the "") and replace with " ". and for the spaces at the end of each line search for " \r" (space+\r) and replace all with "\r".

Hope it helps

Zacchaeus
November 19th, 2015, 16:57
The thumbnail needs to be in a folder called images (and I believe it must be in the Input folder) and have the name thumbnail.jpg (And it actually has to be a jpg file I believe).

Rhylin
November 20th, 2015, 01:17
Tried that, made a thumbnail.jpg and a thumbnail.png and put it everywhere I could and still can't get the thumbnail to pop in. I've started parsing the spell, and my eyeballs are fried, and I want to go home :P

Elphane
November 20th, 2015, 03:28
My problem has now changed entirely. No matter what I do the class portion of the module does not show up in Fantasy Grounds even though Par5e says it has been built.

From what I understand with what is happening, Par5e is properly interpreting the XML inputs, compiling it, and then failing to update the .mod.
It's almost like it builds the .mod during the backgrounds.txt portion, and then parses the class portion and just doesn't rebuild the .mod with all the info.

I'm at a loss on what to do from here on out.

Zacchaeus
November 20th, 2015, 12:13
You definitely have an error somewhere in your build. Even if it par5es with an 'Ok' that isn't a guarantee that everything is actually ok. It could be for example that there's a missing ';' somewhere or that a list hasn't been properly ended or that there's a ';' too many somewhere. All that I can suggest is that you par5e small amounts at a time. The error is somewhere in the class.txt for Cleric. Take everything else out of that text file and just try to par5e the Cleric on it's own. If there's an error then go through it line by line until you track down the error. It's in there somewhere. If there isn't an error then the problem is elsewhere. As I said somewhere else par5e little bits at a time and keep checking that it's ok.

damned
November 20th, 2015, 12:24
...All that I can suggest is that you par5e small amounts at a time....

ultimately that is the best advice. one small chunk at a time. its quicker than thinking you got it worked out and doing a big chunk and then spending ages trawling back and forth...

Elphane
November 20th, 2015, 23:33
Well I figured out that it is my bard class. I guess we'll see where the error is.

Elphane
November 21st, 2015, 00:00
Well I figured out that it is my bard class. I guess we'll see where the error is.

EDIT: Whoops. Double post.

Elphane
November 21st, 2015, 04:22
Problem Solved. There was an extra doubled ls;

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2015, 11:22
Problem Solved. There was an extra doubled ls;

Jolly good, glad you got it fixed. It can be frustrating tracking down those type of things but now you know the kind of things to look for and the way to do it :)

evilmouse
November 21st, 2015, 22:00
I know even i get error have tract them down is a thorn in my side i have have music while looking for errors

jajen2003
November 22nd, 2015, 02:45
you cannot share copyright material... please do not share raw or finished files.

Which part of that was copyrighted material? I didn't see anything specific there. o.O

evilmouse
November 22nd, 2015, 03:10
Which part of that was copyrighted material? I didn't see anything specific there. o.O

he ref player handbook mm or any copywrite

Elphane
November 22nd, 2015, 03:23
Yeah. Evil and I both removed our links to copyrighted material.

havvokk1122
May 18th, 2017, 21:26
par5e will not link a token to any NPC that starts with the letter R. The console says it linked correctly, but the NPCs in FG do not have the token on the sheet. The tokens are available to manually drag onto the field from the token window

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2017, 21:52
Hi havvokk1122 welcome to FG. This is an issue with the public version of par5e I'm afraid; and since it is no longer supported it won't be fixed.

El Condoro
May 18th, 2017, 21:54
par5e will not link a token to any NPC that starts with the letter R. The console says it linked correctly, but the NPCs in FG do not have the token on the sheet. The tokens are available to manually drag onto the field from the token window

I have a reference module that has 3 tokens that begin with R - all import and 'attach' to the NPC record correctly.
[Edit] I take that back! I'm sure they were there a while back but just checked - not there.

havvokk1122
May 18th, 2017, 22:30
Hi havvokk1122 welcome to FG. This is an issue with the public version of par5e I'm afraid; and since it is no longer supported it won't be fixed.

Any chance i could get the source code so i can attempt fix it on my end?

havvokk1122
May 18th, 2017, 22:32
Also any guidance on how to choose a thumbnail image for the module? the original one i downloaded had the option, but the newer one does not

Zacchaeus
May 18th, 2017, 22:39
Any chance i could get the source code so i can attempt fix it on my end?

I'm afraid not.

Also any guidance on how to choose a thumbnail image for the module? the original one i downloaded had the option, but the newer one does not

Not sure what you mean. To include a thumbnail for your module create a png file about 75x75 or so and call it thumbnail.png and place it in the folder with your input file.

Maasq
May 20th, 2017, 00:03
Here's how to fix the 'r' NPC token issue. Assuming your tokens are named properly and in the folder, this should work....

Rename your '*.mod' file to '*.zip'.
Open the db.xml file in a text editor.
Search <token type="token">tokens\<MODULE>r
Replace with <token type="token">tokens\<MODULE>\r (where <MODULE> is the module name)
Save db.xml
Rename back to '*.mod'

Sorted :)