PDA

View Full Version : Player can't get updates, or connect with different version

Callum
November 16th, 2015, 20:57
One of my players can't run the updater - he gets the following error: "ERROR - GetProducts: Network: invalid URL". (He also couldn't connect to me using the pass phrase, but managed it when I gave him my IP address.)

The funny thing is that he's on v3.1.2 and I'm on v3.1.4, and I always thought that versions that differed only in the last digit were compatible - but that doesn't seem to be the case here. He can't see the part of the chat window here you enter text, can't see the things we're typing in the chat window, and when eh tries to do an action from his character sheet, I get a whole load of errors in my chat window that say "Ruleset Error: window: Control(chatscroll) anchoring to an undefined control (chat) in windowclass (chat)".

Trenloe
November 16th, 2015, 21:57
Sounds like his installation is messed up, and he should re-install. Also sounds like he's having an issue connecting to the FG server - for both updates and alias IP address resolution. Where is he located? He might be using an IP address that is in a range blocked by SmiteWorks. If this is the case, then there's no point doing a reinstall until the IP address is unblocked.

damned
November 17th, 2015, 00:13
One of my players can't run the updater - he gets the following error: "ERROR - GetProducts: Network: invalid URL". (He also couldn't connect to me using the pass phrase, but managed it when I gave him my IP address.)

The funny thing is that he's on v3.1.2 and I'm on v3.1.4, and I always thought that versions that differed only in the last digit were compatible - but that doesn't seem to be the case here. He can't see the part of the chat window here you enter text, can't see the things we're typing in the chat window, and when eh tries to do an action from his character sheet, I get a whole load of errors in my chat window that say "Ruleset Error: window: Control(chatscroll) anchoring to an undefined control (chat) in windowclass (chat)".

Sometimes releases are deemed to have changed significant elements of the system and they wont allow earlier versions. The system is of course designed that everyone always be on the same version which is the latest version.

As Trenloe says - there is a communications issue between player computer and Fantasy Grounds servers. That needs addressing. It could be a software firewall blocking the communications, it could be a hardware firewall, it could be a blocked ip address/range....

Callum
November 17th, 2015, 13:09
Thanks for your input, guys. He was located somewhere different from normal, and so I believe that there was something there blocking comms with the FG servers. He could get onto Teamspeak without a problem, strangely enough. He's unlikely to be there again, so I'm not going to worry about that too much.

Hopwever, the other issue was also experienced by one of my other players (who was also having trouble running the update for unrelated reasons). Perhaps it would be possible for it to be made clear when an update leads to a version that isn't backwards-compatible?

damned
November 21st, 2015, 06:55
At a guess the next one will be too as it has some major upgrades for 5e to support the DMG.