PDA

View Full Version : Any way to do spatial instead of planar?

GuardianLurker
November 16th, 2015, 18:33
Is there any way to control/set/indicate height differences between tokens within FG?

This specifically came up last night when running HotDQ, as my players were fighting the dragon while they were defending the keep. I worked around it by translating the 3d vector (120' up, 160' away) to a 2d projection (200' away), but is there a better, more direct way?

Zacchaeus
November 16th, 2015, 21:25
There is no way to set or control height differences. I think you'd just have to use best judgement. You could give melee attackers advantage if attacking from a higher level (or give the enemy disadvantage) maybe.

Callum
November 16th, 2015, 21:38
I use a small additional token with a number in to indicate the height, which I drop on the corner of the creature's token.

damned
November 17th, 2015, 00:18
I use a small additional token with a number in to indicate the height, which I drop on the corner of the creature's token.

Nice tip Callum. I do similar to what Zacchaeus does - I stick with the horizontal range and apply a modifier depending on if they are shooting up or down...

dulux-oz
November 17th, 2015, 00:31
A good "rule of thumb" when trying to apply a 3d range to a 2d map is to look at the distance along the ground (as shown on the map) and the height distance (not shown, obviously) and take half the smaller distance and add it to the larger. For example: if the target is 100' away on the map and there is a 40' difference in elevation then the target is 100' + 40'/2 ≅ 120' distant.

Incidentally, the same technique works if the target is on a non-orthagonal vector (ie on a diagonal, not directly "vertical" or "horizontal" on the map) - take the horizontal distance (the X-Value) and the vertical distance (the Y-Value) and add half the smaller of these to the larger.

Or you can always use Pythagoras' Theorem: x^2 + y^2 = z^2

Cheers

Edit: Just to please damned and Nylanfs ("=" is now "≅") :p

damned
November 17th, 2015, 01:05
Shame on your casual use of the = sign in conjunction with some broad approximations!

dulux-oz
November 17th, 2015, 02:28
Shame on your casual use of the = sign in conjunction with some broad approximations!

Fine! Care to give me the ASCII for the correct sign (I believe its supposed to be either three horizontal lines or the tild over the equals sign - can't remember which) AND have it accepted by vBulletin? :p

Nylanfs
November 17th, 2015, 04:06
≅ I just copy and paste ;P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mathematical_symbols#Symbols_based_on_equa lity_sign