PDA

View Full Version : Easy to make adventures

Art Wendorf
February 2nd, 2005, 01:59
FINALLY had some free time so started messing with Fantasy Ground again.

Just discovered how easy it is to do up adventures in Fantasy Ground. Did a conversion of Goodman's Games: Idylls of the Rat King.

If you have a PDF of a premade adventure (this goes for all those mini-adventures on the Wizards site, too), it's as easy as "cut-paste-minor edits", Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Anywaaaaaay, just two more cents from. . .

Elric
February 2nd, 2005, 02:58
That's what I'm doing with Tomb of Horrors. :wink:

Thore_Ironrock
February 2nd, 2005, 15:14
Just discovered how easy it is to do up adventures in Fantasy Ground. Did a conversion of Goodman's Games: Idylls of the Rat King.

If you have a PDF of a premade adventure (this goes for all those mini-adventures on the Wizards site, too), it's as easy as "cut-paste-minor edits", Rinse, Lather, Repeat.

Technically isn't that a copyright violation of Goodman's (or any other publishers) product? I'm not saying it can't be done for personal reasons between friends, but distributing it online might make a publisher angry and prompt legal action. Things like the premade WoTC adventures they give away for free would be fine, but your Goodman example is a violation of their copyright.

Though new to this forum and FG, I would have to say porting adventures to FG w/o a publisher's permission might be a bad idea. I would hate for FG to get a black mark from publsihers because their property is being illegally copied and distributed for free. I know of a few publishers that would be very much against this, while I think some might now care. In the end it may be best to get permission to do something like this first.

I would be interested to know what the FG staff's opinion is on this. I know that parts of the licensing of FG allow for people/publishers to distribute adventures and campaigns, but that does not include unauthorized use of copyrighted material ... right?

Art Wendorf
February 2nd, 2005, 16:07
Technically isn't that a copyright violation of Goodman's (or any other publishers) product? No, it's not. I at no time even whispered an offer to distribute what I'm doing. I own the product. I'm using the product I own for personal use.

I'm not saying it can't be done for personal reasons between friends, but distributing it online might make a publisher angry and prompt legal action. Things like the premade WoTC adventures they give away for free would be fine, but your Goodman example is a violation of their copyright.

Though new to this forum and FG, I would have to say porting adventures to FG w/o a publisher's permission might be a bad idea. I would hate for FG to get a black mark from publsihers because their property is being illegally copied and distributed for free. I know of a few publishers that would be very much against this, while I think some might now care. In the end it may be best to get permission to do something like this first.You're reading waaaaaay more into my post that I wrote. All I said is that it's easy to make adventures using PDFs and the like as a way to help people who are undecided come to the realization that it's easy to put together adventures in Fantasy ground. THAT'S IT. I'd be very disappointed in anyone who distributed someone else's adventures.

I would be interested to know what the FG staff's opinion is on this. I know that parts of the licensing of FG allow for people/publishers to distribute adventures and campaigns, but that does not include unauthorized use of copyrighted material ... right?I would hope that FG staff would condemn any person who attempted whatsoever to distribute materials they didn't have permission to distribute.

richvalle
February 2nd, 2005, 16:14
Already some talk about this here:

https://forums.fantasygrounds.com/viewtopic.php?t=285

Thore_Ironrock
February 2nd, 2005, 16:49
Technically isn't that a copyright violation of Goodman's (or any other publishers) product?

No, it's not. I at no time even whispered an offer to distribute what I'm doing. I own the product. I'm using the product I own for personal use.

I was not accusing you of anything Art, I was just posing a question. I had used OpenRPG several years ago, and there was quite of bit of distribution (much of it behind the scenes) of copyrighted material. There was quite a bit of talk back then about a "gray" area where you can't even do that for personal use, but it never went anywhere. Publishers are very protective of their products nowadays, especially since the market is rather depressed at the moment.

As I said, I would hate for FG to get a black eye in that respect. I would hate for a great product like FG be dragged into the mud over such issues. Legally they are not liable, but you hate to see that sort of stuff. With all of the P2P/PDF illegal scanning of products out there, it would be a shame if something like this happened with FG as the mechanism.

-Thore

Thore_Ironrock
February 2nd, 2005, 16:52

Thanks Rich. However, there are still a few unanswered questions. I'm not surprised at all about WoTC's response. I doubt anyone will ever get back to them, or they will get a quick and curt "NO" to their inquiry.

-Thore

Elric
February 2nd, 2005, 21:03

Thanks Rich. However, there are still a few unanswered questions. I'm not surprised at all about WoTC's response. I doubt anyone will ever get back to them, or they will get a quick and curt "NO" to their inquiry.

-Thore
I did. :D They said I could convert AD&D 1E Modules to Fantasy Grounds provided I just use the modules for my players and not distribute them.

Bagpuss2
February 2nd, 2005, 22:36
I did. :D They said I could convert AD&D 1E Modules to Fantasy Grounds provided I just use the modules for my players and not distribute them.

Heck, you can do that with 3rd Edition ones, without asking, I'm sure its covered by "fair use".

Delekahn
February 3rd, 2005, 06:46

Wow! I figured they wouldn't care about the out of print stuff. How naive I am...

Delekahn

Elric
February 3rd, 2005, 10:12
Wow! I figured they wouldn't care about the out of print stuff. How naive I am...
That's what I thought too and with all the discussions regarding copyright going on I figured I had better ask.

I sent another email last night:

I received acknowledgement today that I would be able to take AD&D 1E OOP Modules and 'convert' them into 'modules' that I can personally use for my own personal online gaming using a medium such as Fantasy Grounds.

What is the possibility of me being able to redistribute these 'modules' provided that:

A) I didn't charge for them.
B) They are in a 'package'/'uneditable' format.
C) They are not 'complete cover to cover' copies - i.e. the individual that wanted to run the adventure themselves would still need to purchase (probably as a pdf thru such sites as svgames.com, etc.) an 'original' of the module. The 'modules' themselves would only contain images (maps), the text that is presented to the players, and possible prepackaged characters that were already included in the module.

Would any of this fit into the OGL provided that I listed all original credit back to Wizards since you own the TSR logo?
I want to see just how much trouble this is really going to be. I'll at least do some conversions for me to use. :)

Art Wendorf
February 3rd, 2005, 16:27
The problem, as I see it, is that, while they (1st & 2nd edition adventures) are out of print in paper form, they are very much in print in PDF form through SVgames.com. Wizards is still making money off of those adventures and, as such, will probably not allow the distribution of their content even in FG form.