PDA

View Full Version : Converting my Tabletop Connect purchase to an FG purchase.

Reyder Axeman
November 16th, 2015, 17:29
I just got a missive to apply my TC purchase credit towards FG. As I've not used FG before except as a player in someone else's game, I'm rather lost and in need of some suggestions.

First, what I signed up for in TC:
DM (24 minis, 6 terrain sets)
4 player licenses
4 more terrain sets
6 more sets of miniatures
Adventure-a-week for 6 months (26 adventures)

Successful stretch goals: The Tombs map and terrain set, cards and decks (shuffling, customizing, etc.), 1 set of Okumarts Minis, Geomorphs.

Yes, I bought a lot.

Now, judging by what I've read so far, it looks like I need what, FG Ultimate?

Does this provide permanent server access for the $150, or do I need to also pay $10 per month for server access?

Is the only difference between FG and FG Ultimate the ability to bring in free players? Looking at the comparison list, that's what it seems like.

According to the Rolemaster and CoC add-ons, they require buying FG2, not FG. What's the difference? Is there an FG2 Ultimate parallel to the FG Ultimate? Given that, should I even bother buying FG, or do I require it to play Pathfinder but FG2 for CoC and Rolemaster?

Given that FG includes library modules with Open Game content (D&D and Pathfinder), does this include monsters? I can't tell looking at the features list.

I assume that terrain sets and the geomorphs are out the window at the moment with the nearest equivalent being buying maps.

If I want to run bog-standard Pathfinder adventures, I assume I'll need to get the D&D Complete Core Pack and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. Yes?

If I don't want to spend all of my current credit, is it possible to use the remainder at the FG store for things not in the limited selection given in the Backerkit message?

If I get the Rolemaster add-on, where do I get FG2 (or possibly FG2 Ultimate) to run it?

The CoC add-on has the same notation that it requires FG2. So, should I even bother buying FG?

Summary guess:

DM + player licenses --> FG Ultimate or FG2 Ultimate
Terrain sets + Geomorphs --> DEAD. Closest equivalent being buying maps.
Miniatures --> D&D Core Pack & D&D Monster Pack (Yes, they also provide other things above *just* miniatures.)
Adventure-a-week --> UNDEAD. Dead, but can be sort-of done by buying things from the store.

Thanks for reading; I hope someone's got some suggestions because I've an open Backerkit site that I've got to finish filling in.

(And hopefully answers to this'll help anyone else who's switching over.)

JohnD
November 16th, 2015, 18:04
Hi and Welcome! :)

The only way there are monthly payments is if you go with a subscription. Since you seem to be talking about a purchase, there wouldn't be any monthly payment.

Ultimate means you can host "free"/demo users - as many as you want. That is the difference between Ultimate and Regular.

FG = FG2 they are the same program. You would need to buy the RMC ruleset but Pathfinder comes with FG via OGL I believe. No idea about CoC.

D&D Complete Core Pack and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack are 5E not Pathfinder. If Pathfinder is what you want, you get it out of the box, and there are a number of community modules you can download with feats, equipment, spells, etc... for free.

You can get FG via the Store link at the top of the page, or via Steam - they are the same thing. Although, if you are applying a TC credit, probably you want to buy it here because what does Steam care about that.

Welcome again... nice to see another Rolemaster person.

Reyder Axeman
November 16th, 2015, 20:01
Thanks for the info.

So I'll need to buy FG Ultimate (probably non-Steam) for Pathfinder/3.5, but can skip the D&D Core stuff. Excellent, saves me $100 in credit to apply to other things. Similarly, I can skip all of the D&D stuff in the Backerkit missive because it'll likely all be 5.0.

So, the only things I'd need to pick up in excess would be Rolemaster Classic and maybe CoC ruleset.

$185. That leaves me with $105 of credit unapplied and makes the question "Can I hold that for the FG Store?" much more urgent.

Thanks again.

(I ran Rolemaster for a while, still have the books around somewhere. I later used the IC critical hit tables as critical hits in D&D. The excess over minimum to-hit determined severity (1-4 / 5-11 / 12-16 / 17-19 / 20 for A through E) Nothing says fun like having to use a spatula to scrape up your enemy.)

damned
November 17th, 2015, 00:47
Hey there Reyder Axeman! Im not familiar with the TC credit so cant answer specifically about that.

You and JohnD are right about Ultimate. No extra payments to be made... although there is likely to be some sort of upgrade cost to Unity but nothing official/firm on that front yet. It could be another year away yet.

Rolemaster is great on FG.
Call of Cthulhu is good (and 7e will be available sometime early next year).
Pathfinder is included - not comprehensive but spells, equipment, monsters all are and there are other PGL (is that the right term?) modules available in the forums...

Id see if I could hang on to some credit because some of those things - 3d minis and stuff - are likely at some point to make their way into the Unity platform somewhere down the line... not straight away but once the Unity platform is public and stable, then they will likely build some (all?) of Carls cool things into the platform.

Nylanfs
November 17th, 2015, 01:39
Purchase a gift certificate and send to yourself maybe?

Reyder Axeman
November 17th, 2015, 18:35
So, I'm the 201st person to use BackerKit to transfer from TC to FG.

JohnD
November 17th, 2015, 19:27
There are a few RM modules available for purchase as well.

damned
November 17th, 2015, 21:56
So, I'm the 201st person to use BackerKit to transfer from TC to FG.

Cool - and again - welcome. FG and TTC are very different products and they both do things really well that the other doesnt. Hopefully we will see some really awesome things that offer the best of both in the future!

Reyder Axeman
November 18th, 2015, 21:23
Thanks to assorted bits of help from others, I've now got it finished. Bought the game (and Rolemaster) and I've started looking at some other things to pick up. We shall see how it goes.

JohnD
November 18th, 2015, 21:37
If you want some tips, PM me and we can meet on TS one evening.

Valdus
February 25th, 2016, 00:42
So I have filled out my Backerkit, filled it out and it is confirmed. How do I turn that into a fantasy grounds purchase?

damned
February 25th, 2016, 01:11
Welcome Valdus - email [email protected] directly and they will work thru it with you.

Valdus
February 25th, 2016, 01:16
Already done, just covering all the bases. Looking forward to joining the FG community.

Batman13
March 1st, 2016, 13:37
Reyder,
You are stuck with what the FC people will give. They are certain that their 2D assets are on par with 3D ones you bought with TTC. I disagree with this, but there is not much you can do. Even if you buy into FG, you will have to pay again when the unity port is finished. I when I took the deal to the the Ultimate subscription deal I was unaware of being charged again. Unless you are really going to start hosting games, I would take the lowest membership and waite till they port over to unity. Most of the modules are just scan from the books with simple 2d image to serve as the monsters. It is nothing special in my opinion. I can wait to see if they allow custom map building and all of the small things that made TTC special. Dont get me wrong this is a good software, but the outdated graphic really do not inspire me. Doug has stated to me that the 3D stuff is not a priority, so I am not holdng my breath. I would just love to see an isometric map with a few 3Dish parts. I do not need multi levels. There is a lot of possabilities here, but the lack of any timeline or specifics to what will and will not be in the Unity build is a bit frustrating. Overall, mooch of someone elses Ultimate account untill you get the hang of the system or more information come out about the Unity port. Then make your decision. I have high hopes for this software, but between the network issues, and the lack of a really helpful LFG system it is hard to find groups if you live in certin time zones. Good luck, and I hope you find a great home here. The people are really helpful.

I just got a missive to apply my TC purchase credit towards FG. As I've not used FG before except as a player in someone else's game, I'm rather lost and in need of some suggestions.

First, what I signed up for in TC:
DM (24 minis, 6 terrain sets)
4 player licenses
4 more terrain sets
6 more sets of miniatures
Adventure-a-week for 6 months (26 adventures)

Successful stretch goals: The Tombs map and terrain set, cards and decks (shuffling, customizing, etc.), 1 set of Okumarts Minis, Geomorphs.

Yes, I bought a lot.

Now, judging by what I've read so far, it looks like I need what, FG Ultimate?

Does this provide permanent server access for the $150, or do I need to also pay $10 per month for server access?

Is the only difference between FG and FG Ultimate the ability to bring in free players? Looking at the comparison list, that's what it seems like.

According to the Rolemaster and CoC add-ons, they require buying FG2, not FG. What's the difference? Is there an FG2 Ultimate parallel to the FG Ultimate? Given that, should I even bother buying FG, or do I require it to play Pathfinder but FG2 for CoC and Rolemaster?

Given that FG includes library modules with Open Game content (D&D and Pathfinder), does this include monsters? I can't tell looking at the features list.

I assume that terrain sets and the geomorphs are out the window at the moment with the nearest equivalent being buying maps.

If I want to run bog-standard Pathfinder adventures, I assume I'll need to get the D&D Complete Core Pack and the D&D Complete Core Monster Pack. Yes?

If I don't want to spend all of my current credit, is it possible to use the remainder at the FG store for things not in the limited selection given in the Backerkit message?

If I get the Rolemaster add-on, where do I get FG2 (or possibly FG2 Ultimate) to run it?

The CoC add-on has the same notation that it requires FG2. So, should I even bother buying FG?

Summary guess:

DM + player licenses --> FG Ultimate or FG2 Ultimate
Terrain sets + Geomorphs --> DEAD. Closest equivalent being buying maps.
Miniatures --> D&D Core Pack & D&D Monster Pack (Yes, they also provide other things above *just* miniatures.)
Adventure-a-week --> UNDEAD. Dead, but can be sort-of done by buying things from the store.

Thanks for reading; I hope someone's got some suggestions because I've an open Backerkit site that I've got to finish filling in.

(And hopefully answers to this'll help anyone else who's switching over.)

ddavison
March 1st, 2016, 15:36
I just wanted to chime in to say that I don't think I ever said the "3D Stuff is not a priority", it is just not the #1 priority. The 2D stuff has to come first. Carl has been busy plugging away at that since November, but the plan it so have him continue work on the 3D stuff as soon as the primary port and 2D interfaces are solid. We work with publishers who produce everything in 2D, so in order to support all publishers, we have to get the 2D stuff nailed down. If we *only* did 3D stuff, then you'd be looking at far fewer releases being made and probably only for the very big licenses since the return on investment wouldn't make senses for most smaller publishers.

JohnD
March 1st, 2016, 18:10
There's always someone dedicating themselves to maintaining an extremely negative and partially accurate point of view.

Batman13
March 2nd, 2016, 14:14
There's always someone dedicating themselves to maintaining an extremely negative and partially accurate point of view.

You may see it as a negative post, but I see it is 100% accurate. They are my opinions, and Doug even convirmed that 3D is not a priority though he does clarify by saying not the #1 priority. Lets be honest here. FG is a good piece of software with a large learning curve and it is hard to customize. As I say this I have limited experence with the software. I know in roll20 I can create a map and character sheet in the same time I can try to connect to a server using FG. The interface is outdated and very complacated. As I say this, I would not post here if I did not have some expectations that it will improve. I can like somthing and still point out it's flaws. I think it does no one any good to not be honest and forthcomming about ones views. Hell, I posted on twitter to have R.A. Savatore bring his RPG to FG. So what you see is negative I see as honest. I do see your point of view, I was just giving advice to another person who was in the same situation that I was in. After all he did ask for an opinion.

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2016, 16:49
Batman,

I hope the resistance to your views doesn't discourage you from continuing to participate in the FG community. And I hope my reply here is well enough written to be understood in the manner I intend.

It's easy for others to see discrepancies between their experiences and your statements and then become defensive. For instance, take this statement;

I know in roll20 I can create a map and character sheet in the same time I can try to connect to a server using FG.

For most in the FG community, reading this, it's hard not to get a negative impression. I say this because of a couple of things; 1) for most of us, connecting to an FG server takes 5-15 seconds. To think that anyone, in any software can create an original, non-randomized non-generated map or character in this time is... ludicrous. 2) FG is not a map making program. This has been complained about by many new/unfamiliar users that it gets to be... off-putting to many of the community members when someone implies or complains about FG's map making and it has been politely and positively discussed in many threads since I've been here, and undoubtedly many more from before my time..

Also note, that the accuracy of a statement really has little or nothing to do with the statement being positive or negative. (Just ask my wife about the problems I have in real life with my "tone".)

I can like somthing and still point out it's flaws. I think it does no one any good to not be honest and forthcomming about ones views.

Absolutely, and hopefully you have a positive enough view of FG to work within it's current limitations to get you where you want to be. The community is really good at helping each other do that.

Batman13
March 2nd, 2016, 17:04
Thank you for your responce. In roll20, you can drag an image and create a map in a matter of of a few seconds, and creating a character sheet is as simple as right-click and and add new character. That all can be accomplished in the time it take me to open, update, and connect to a server. Nothing I said is ludicrous. It only seems so becasue you asume I am creating from the ground up. I understand that the community is hyper-protective, but the fact that many of these issues have not been addressed yet should only highlight possibles issue. After allit is a busness. There is little money in fixing issues if people do not address it I am trying to see if they will update the calander of I can efficently find a group. Why would they do theat when thery can add pictures for BGII and the Witch Hunter kit and other less helpfull stuff that actually generates money. I am pragmatic, I get it. I also understand the squeeky wheel gets the greese too. Like I said before, I may come off like a ****, but that is only becasue I speak my mind and I try to be as honest as I can be.

Nylanfs
March 2nd, 2016, 17:09
In roll20, you can drag an image and create a map in a matter of of a few seconds, and creating a character sheet is as simple as right-click and and add new character.

And it's exactly the same process in FG, are you experiencing something different? I drag an image into the FG open it throw a grid on it. Right click in the PC section and add new item, it's a blank character sheet.

LordEntrails
March 2nd, 2016, 17:49
So, you're not talking about creating a map. You're adding a map. In FG adding a map takes seconds and sounds like it is a nearly identical process ("Images" > "Folders" paste or drag map file into folder). In FG creating a blank character sheet also takes seconds ("PCs" > "Edit List" > "Add Item"). So why compare one set of functions (adding a map or a character sheet) to a completely different function (launching, applying a software update and connecting to a remote server)?

The response you get should seem to be pretty predicable in any community, not just the FG one. (i.e. poor analogy, but if I were to go to a Corvette forum and complain that a scheduled service costs more than the 0-60mph speed of my Mustang, people would think I was ... something.)

I don't see the FG community as hyper-protective, but I don't think that topic is particularly important or valuable to discuss.

What I am trying to do is figure out where this discussion should go and what would be the most helpful to discuss.