PDA

View Full Version : Campaign and Module Creation

MathemAddicts
November 16th, 2015, 00:21
I think I am slowly getting the idea behind the flow of FG; however, the campaign I have been running for the past few years is very large. It is separated into chapters in the text and it is a total of over 300 pages. My question is about organization.

Do I create everything in one campaign file, or would it be better to create a campaign file and a module for each chapter?

There are well over 300 NPCs/monsters in this campaign. Should I have all the tokens in the "host" subdirectory of the main "tokens" directory? If I create modules for each chapter, are the tokens placed in a special directory?

When I load the campaign, are tokens and graphics sent to the clients on a need basis, or are they all sent across my horrible DSL connection even if they are not in use for a specific encounter?

Really, the only data I would like to send to the clients are the items, creatures, and maps for the specific encounter. How can I do this?

Chat/Voice capability: I have not found the section of the Wiki dedicated to this, but I am assuming that voice chat is possible in game. How, and what about video capabilities (not that I think they are necessary)?

I think that's it... for now.

Thank you for any advice. I super appreciate it.

Roy

Nickademus
November 16th, 2015, 00:38
This may help a bit (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/tutorial/xorne-adventure-1a.wmv). Spread the data around in modules and run the game in a single campaign that has no data.

Andraax
November 16th, 2015, 13:08
Use the TeamSpeak server (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17071-Voicechat!-Community-TeamSpeak3-Server) for voice chat.

Zacchaeus
November 16th, 2015, 14:44
MathemAddicts:

1. For something that is the size you are talking about I would split it up into chapters. You can have one overarching campaign which contains the basic stuff you would need such as characters, overland or general maps, and anything else which flows through all of the campaign. The chapters would then include the story text, local maps, encounters and anything else that you would need to run that particular chapter. If you think of it like a book; your main campaign is the index and the book covers and the rest are individual chapters.

2. Leave tokens where they are. Once you have assigned a token to an NPC or PC FG will 'find' the token again (even I believe if the token module isn't actually open). Other than tokens assigned to a PC no tokens are transmitted to the Players.

3. You send graphics to your players on a need basis. All images start off in the ownership of the DM and only once they decided that the players need to see the image would they then share it with the players.

4. As above, you decide when to share a map and you then share it. Items are given to the player's via the Party sheet; the players aren't given monsters. You place these on the map which you have shared and the PCs can then see them (and hit them with big swords).

5. FG does not have any kind of internal voice communication option. As has been suggested above you can use the FG Teamspeak server or you can use whatever else takes your fancy. If you choose Skype (and I wouldn't) make sure you don't host the call if you don't have a fast connection.

6. Video I know nothing about but there's a few videos kicking about which shows you how to set that up using various external bits of software. I just can't find one to link for you right now.

Nylanfs
November 16th, 2015, 17:17
For video/audio see this thread.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24282-How-to-make-an-overlay-and-setup-OBS-for-streaming!

MathemAddicts
November 16th, 2015, 17:22
MathemAddicts:

1. For something that is the size ...

Thank you. That was what I was looking for.

MathemAddicts
November 16th, 2015, 17:23
Thanks to all. I am now back in business. I appreciate all the info and links. This community is super awesome!

Nylanfs
November 16th, 2015, 22:24
No, YOU'RE super awesome! :)