PDA

View Full Version : NPCs and Hero Labs

Aircop
November 14th, 2015, 17:35
I have been using Hero Labs to write up our PCs, is there a way to import NPCs from Hero Labs to use with Parthfinder based game in Fantasy Grounds?

darrenan
November 14th, 2015, 19:33
You have two options, depending on how you want them to show up in FG:

1. If you want them to show up as an NPC, you can export a stat block (File/Output Hero Statblock... use the plain text option) and then use the PFRPG Creature Parser (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version) to parse the text file into a module containing the NPC. The text file can contain multiple stat blocks so you can import multiple NPCs into a single module this way.

2. If you want them to show up as a PC, you can export to a .hlfg file (File/Save Custom Output.../Fantasy Grounds) and then use the character converter that is included with FG to import that file into a campaign or convert it to an XML file on disk which you can import into a campaign.

Aircop
November 14th, 2015, 20:56
where would I find this "stat block"? in hero labs or FGs?

darrenan
November 14th, 2015, 21:35
In Hero Lab. From the menu, select "File", and then "Output Hero Statblock..." which will allow you to save the stat block to a text file. You can then parse that text file using the creature parser linked in my first post to convert it into a FG module.

Aircop
November 15th, 2015, 06:44
it will not allow me to place a portrait or a token on it like the PC one does in game?

damned
November 15th, 2015, 08:00
Hola Aircop.

When you add an NPC to the Combat Tracker without a Portrait/Token it will assign it a letter token based on its name automatically.
You can either drag a token onto it there in the Combat Tracker or you can open it in the NPC list and unlock it and drag it on to the circle beside the padlock.

darrenan
November 16th, 2015, 18:37
I think the problem Aircop is running into is that NPCs directly out of the module produced by the parser are readonly. You should first drag the NPC from the module into the NPCs collection for the campaign, accessible via the NPCs banner on the right side of the screen. Once you do that, you should be able to click the padlock in the upper right corner of the screen to unlock the NPC, at which point you can drop a token into the circle token control, also in the upper right corner of the NPC sheet. Hope that helps!

Aircop
November 17th, 2015, 22:16
no I am not using a premade module, I am using my own world from the old Iron Crown Enterprises system for Middle Earth, so I have a list of my own NPCs, I am just trying to input them in, also trying to use GM generator from Hero Lab to make NPCs and then bring them over to FGs

Trenloe
November 17th, 2015, 22:24
OK, we're encountering terminology differences here. A "module" in FG is a library module which, in the case of the Pathfinder Creature Parser, is a read only list of NPCs created by the parser. What Darren was saying is that in the FG library module created by the parser, the NPCs are read only and tokens etc. can't be added to them directly into the library module.

@Aircop - in order for you to add tokens and make any other modifications, you need to drag the NPC link from the library to the campaign NPC list (accessed via the buttons down the right hand side of the screen). Then you will be able to edit the NPCs - add tokens, etc..

Aircop
November 18th, 2015, 02:49
yeah I added 1 NPC it showed up in the Module Library I then moved it to the NPC list so it worked, i wish they could make the process easier

damned
November 18th, 2015, 03:07
yeah I added 1 NPC it showed up in the Module Library I then moved it to the NPC list so it worked, i wish they could make the process easier

There are reasons for this workflow and they make a lot of sense. How would you like to see it implemented? The devs do listen to whats going on here and when they see ideas that they like they often get included.