PDA

View Full Version : FG V3.1.4 Ultimate Question

Tivaan01
November 14th, 2015, 17:23
Hello
I am new to FG and I have the Ultimate edition and was going in through the 2 systems I will be using D&D 4E and D&D 5E. The 5E system has the books spell etc which i can just simply start working with 5E characters but the 4E library has none of these books no spells rules etc. Is this correct? Do I need to create everything form scratch?

JohnD
November 14th, 2015, 17:38
Yes for 4e.

ddavison
November 14th, 2015, 19:07
Our license with Wizards of the Coast does not allow us to sell any modules for editions other than fifth edition.

damned
November 14th, 2015, 21:56
There is a 4e parsing tool if you have an active DDI subscription... search these forums...

damned
November 14th, 2015, 21:57
you will have to do some reading of the thread as it doesnt work quite as simply as it used to...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17485-4E-Item-Parser

MathemAddicts
November 15th, 2015, 16:21
Our license with Wizards of the Coast does not allow us to sell any modules for editions other than fifth edition.

Wait. I thought all the 3.5 edition core stuff was included. Am I wrong?

JohnD
November 15th, 2015, 16:24
Wait. I thought all the 3.5 edition core stuff was included. Am I wrong?

OGL which doesn't exist for 4e.

ddavison
November 15th, 2015, 16:27
JohnD is correct. It comes with libraries of items that are marked as OGL, but nothing else. For instance, you won't see the Sunless Citadel or any of the splat books for 3.5E unless our license is expanded in the future.

MathemAddicts
November 15th, 2015, 16:34
JohnD is correct. It comes with libraries of items that are marked as OGL, but nothing else. For instance, you won't see the Sunless Citadel or any of the splat books for 3.5E unless our license is expanded in the future.

Still, having the core d20 content for 3.5 is a god-send. Coming from a different virtual tabletop system (much more agnostic), I am beginning to see the huge advantage of having core content coded in. Out of curiosity (and because this was a major discussion on the competitor's site), can people share custom coded content (i.e., spells, feats, etc.) with other users? This would prevent the massive duplication of person-hours.

ddavison
November 15th, 2015, 16:41
Sharing content is only legal if it would be legal to share that content outside of FG. For instance, the Pathfinder community has entire threads full of additional OGL content that they've shared on the forums. Anything for D&D 3.5E that is specifically marked as OGL would fall under the same rule and could be shared.

Additionally, you can build whatever libraries you want for your own personal use and those can contain items not covered under the OGL. These can be shared during gameplay with connected players under fair user guidelines. When the players disconnect from your game, they no longer have a copy of the materials in a usable format, and therefore it complies with fair use.

Check this sub-forum for more information on modules which can be freely shared.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-3-5E-Pathfinder

MathemAddicts
November 15th, 2015, 16:47
Sharing content is only legal if it would be legal to share that content outside of FG. For instance, the Pathfinder community has entire threads full of additional OGL content that they've shared on the forums. Anything for D&D 3.5E that is specifically marked as OGL would fall under the same rule and could be shared.

Additionally, you can build whatever libraries you want for your own personal use and those can contain items not covered under the OGL. These can be shared during gameplay with connected players under fair user guidelines. When the players disconnect from your game, they no longer have a copy of the materials in a usable format, and therefore it complies with fair use.

Check this sub-forum for more information on modules which can be freely shared.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-3-5E-Pathfinder

Makes sense. Thank you.

Tivaan01
November 16th, 2015, 13:06
Yea I dont have a DDI subscription anymore guess I need to either fully build or look into other options.
Thanks

Griogre
November 16th, 2015, 19:24
The 4E parser is getting hard to use but it still is functional. If you want the 4E material just get a 1 month subscription to DDI and scrape the database. Its so worth it but because you can only use one browser now it will take a while maybe several hours depending on your Internet connection. Once you got the modules you are good since there won't be any more changes.