PDA

View Full Version : DND5E character portraits not selectable by players ?!?

Targas
November 13th, 2015, 17:58
In the character Sheets it seems only the DM is able to select the DND5E Folder with all the character Portraits ?
Is it meant this way ?

Seananigans
November 13th, 2015, 18:39
I meant to ask about this myself. When I run my own campaign, my players don't seem to be able to choose from those portraits, but when I connected to my friend's campaign last night, I (as a player) was able to change my portrait to any of the 5E ones. Any idea what the disconnect is?

Griogre
November 13th, 2015, 19:05
In FG, the default assumption is Players bring their own portraits for their characters. Just like a on real character sheet if the player has a picture on the sheet hes attached it. Thus the portraits on the local hard drive is used when selecting a portrait. The DM can assign a portrait to a character from his hard drive once the character is added or if the DM is using pregens.

Seananigans
November 13th, 2015, 19:33
So what, my computer has the portraits on them because I own the PHB deluxe and SCAG (it came with a few, right?) modules? But since my players are guests using my ult license, they don't have those?

This seems like a very odd way to operate this, considering everything else is shared from the DM running the campaign. Thus far, I've basically had to click through them all, guessing at what my players might like. "This one? How about this one?" And so on.

Yes, I realize anyone can download an image and make a portrait out of it, I'm just commenting on the odd choice for portraits specifically to work this way, if that's indeed what's going on.

Moon Wizard
November 13th, 2015, 20:41
What Griogre says is correct. The portrait files are only available to the current user. They are not shared across all users.

This is one of the artifacts of the platform we are running on, and we hope that our move to the next generation of our software will allow us to address this item. No ETA, but we are working on the next major version in addition to regular updates.

Regards,
JPG

Seananigans
November 13th, 2015, 21:05
Awesome! That next generation/major version being the Unity version that's in the works (which sounds amazing btw)? FG is already pretty great, it single-handedly got me back into playing D&D, you guys are doing a great job!

Moon Wizard
November 13th, 2015, 21:13
Yes, I was referring to the Unity version.

One caveat is that we are only committing to make the Unity version do exactly what FG does now for the first iteration. We have a lot of items that are getting thrown into the "can be fixed in Unity" bucket, so we'll still need to prioritize once we get there. The good thing is that we have all this great feedback to help drive our design as we work on the next version, and we'll probably get a few new items right out of the gate (but no promises yet).

Regards,
JPG

JohnD
November 13th, 2015, 23:22
Work around; screenshot your portraits and share it with your players then have them tell you what they want to use - 33rd row 4th column etc....

damned
November 14th, 2015, 00:23
If I create pregens I always assign a portrait initially. I reckon about half of my players change them and the rest just stay with the assigned.
Its extremely easy to source an image elsewhere and use it as a portrait.
It is an interesting design choice which has logic behind it but also probably an unnecessary limitation.