PDA

View Full Version : Undo adding a class level

PsychoPif
November 13th, 2015, 16:10
Hello,
Maybe I'm just too new to the 5e ruleset, but is there a way to remove a class from my character and all the features related to that class level at the same time?

Let's say I had a barbarian level to my character, it will add the unarmored defense, rage and other skills and feature to my character sheet. But it was added by mistake, or I change my mind, I cannot just remove that level from the character levels window, I need to go hunt for the feature that were added at the same time.

For the first level, it's not that bad, I can always restart the creation process. But if it's the kind of mistake I make mid campaign, I fear my character might no longer be abiding to all rules if I miss something to remove.

whiteTiki
November 13th, 2015, 16:45
I'm not an expert on the 2 latest versions of FG (I haven't had a session for 2 weeks now). but unless it wasn't modified from version 3.1.2 to 3.1.4, the short answer to your question will be no.

I understand what you're saying but I really don't think its really difficult to remove the features you earned on a level. The only thing you need to do is open your library in FG (or your physical boos if you have it), then move the window so that it covers no more than half of your screen, then open your character windows and move it to the other half and finally just remove the 2 or 3 features you received on your last level.

In case of spells you don't even have to delete them; lets say with your new level you gain the ability to cast 3rd level spells and you've already selected and added them to your actions tab. The only thing you need to do is tell FG you have 0 3rd level spell slots available and when you enter combat mode, your 3rd level spells won't even be displayed.

Hope it works,

Cheers!

midas
November 13th, 2015, 19:39
This is currently not supported, no. You'd need to manually adjust whatever was added when the class was added. In the case of new characters it's usually easiest to create a new character than to "downgrade", but I understand that this isn't optimal for a character that's been used for awhile and a class was added as a test/by mistake when leveling.

Moon Wizard
November 13th, 2015, 20:39
This is not supported. The level of detail necessary to support full character management is beyond the scope of what we plan to offer. It is an entire project in itself. (i.e. PCGen, Hero Lab, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
November 13th, 2015, 22:14
It's possibly fiddly I know but I'd advise that if you have doubts about a particular level up then before you do so export the character then change your character's name then do the levelling up. If you don't like it you can delete that character and import the old one which won't have been touched.

damned
November 14th, 2015, 00:26
I dont think manually rolling back is all that hard is it?
Level, HP, Spell Slots? What else is automatically adjusted after level 1?

Zacchaeus
November 14th, 2015, 09:35
I dont think manually rolling back is all that hard is it?
Level, HP, Spell Slots? What else is automatically adjusted after level 1?

Yeah, it shouldn't be too hard. Most of what you get at level up isn't automated like most abilities or features, so as you say it's mainly the Hit points.

PsychoPif
November 14th, 2015, 13:05
This is not supported. The level of detail necessary to support full character management is beyond the scope of what we plan to offer. It is an entire project in itself. (i.e. PCGen, Hero Lab, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

I understand that you are a small team and you need to prioritize. But as you're probably already aware, there is no other software right now that can use the 5e license. Hero lab is waiting on some form of 5e OGL before they can include it and I guess PCGen is in the same boat since they don't support it either. You should capitalize on that.

I'm sure I'm not the only one looking for a one stop shop VTT. You already have the best (IMHO) game running feature, the most complete licensed content, you just need to lower the learning curve a bit and help on the game setup.

Anyway, off course I can live with validating manually my PCs each time they level or they gain a new item. It's just that I'd rather not :)

Hawker75
June 14th, 2016, 04:19
I know this is old, but everything that was changed is stated in the chat log. Just go back and delete those that are listed.

epithet
June 14th, 2016, 20:10
I try to back up the characters after each session, so if a player completely FUBARs a character I can roll it back.

ffujita
June 15th, 2016, 06:31
I try to back up the characters after each session, so if a player completely FUBARs a character I can roll it back.

As a player, at the end of every session, I will save a new *.xml file showing the changes. After the character name, I include the level and a letter as a sort of version control. Conan5b.xml; Conan5c.xml; Conan6.xml; Conan6b.xml; etc...

DAWPage
June 20th, 2016, 23:36

Regards,
JPG

Maybe some kind of autobackup feature before adding a level?

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2016, 23:52
Maybe some kind of autobackup feature before adding a level?

Export. Save the character to a backup folder with the level at the end of the filename.

nomadtv
June 8th, 2018, 03:21
This is still the case?

to manually go find all the changes is a PITA, there should be a way to simply adjust level and have the changes reflected, if they can automatically add all the pertinent abilities ect, why not subtract?
I accidentally leveled a character up 3 times trying to figure out how to edit the level and at this point it would easier to make a new character which even if just copy and pasting, would be an hour of time minimum.

Simple edits like this are or should be a no brainer.

Also, resizing boxes from any corner would be really really helpful ;/

damned
June 8th, 2018, 03:24
Hey nomadtv creating a character when you know what you want - especially if you have a copy of it (even with a few errors) is seriously a 5min job.
Add your Attribute values.
Add your Background.
Add your Race.
Add your Class as many times as is required.
Drag and drop equipment.
Drag and drop spells.
There is not much more to do.

Nylanfs
June 8th, 2018, 17:11
Also FG is NOT designed to be a character generator, like PCGen is.