PDA

View Full Version : PFS CORE - The Quest for Perfection Part 1, Friday 20 Nov, 7pm GMT

cmdisc
November 13th, 2015, 10:31
This is a CORE game in line with an ongoing theme of Season 3 before the Ruby Phoenix Tournament, and is a 3-part series.

Calendar here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1661

I am expecting to offer Parts 2 and 3 every other week (on 4 Dec and 18 Dec respectively). I am fine with running with the same group of PCs. But if someone can't make it or has already played parts of this series, I have no problem having PCs switch in and out as needed.

Posting here reserves a spot for you. Posting or emailing me your XML/Chronicle information secures it. Note the day and time. If you are not sure you can make it, please let me know. A tentative commitment earns a tentative spot.

JWMK
November 13th, 2015, 11:03
Would love to play this one as well and keep getting some CORE chronicles. Have signed up in Calendar as well.

d1wright
November 13th, 2015, 11:25
I have a Human Fighter to bring along for all three of the adventures. Looking forward to them.

Syaoran0503
November 13th, 2015, 11:34
I would like to play this session. I have a level 1 bard I can bring.

Edit: Here are the xml and portrait for Roxie.
And here (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PT3ayfI_RN-GFF2jV8Dnjl3XWD7F9QtSb-sClAB_Gvg/edit?usp=sharing) is a link to her inventory.

Let me know if anything is wrong so I can fix before the game.

aerine
November 13th, 2015, 15:29
I would like to play in this. I have a lvl 1 monk that I can bring. I would expect to be able to make all three dates.

bigboom
November 13th, 2015, 17:54
Please put me down as a tentative for now behind those who can make a firm commitment. I'll come back and confirm as soon as I can.

Blackfoot
November 13th, 2015, 18:22
I will be bringing my Level 2 Gnome Fey Sorcerer - Zwootwick.

AxitMaster
November 13th, 2015, 21:08
I would love to play as well if space remains.

cmdisc
November 14th, 2015, 10:11
Right now tracking:

JWMK
d1wright
Syaoran0503 (Roxie)
aerine
bigboom - tentative
blackfoot (Zwootwick)

AxitMaster is 1st Alternate in case bigboom or someone else find they can't make it.

Unfortunately I only have time to run through this series once right now. If there are others interested that either sign up as alternates or just can't make the date, I or another GM can look at running it again sometime.

aerine
November 14th, 2015, 18:03
BigBoom said he'd convert it for me, how awesome is that?

bigboom
November 14th, 2015, 18:14
Aerine: Here you go!

CM: I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it. I should be getting the latest chronicle for my character Jayne over the next day or two. I'll then confirm my spot by posting up the XML and chronicle.

aerine
November 14th, 2015, 18:25
helpful as always bigboom :) Thank you again.

bigboom
November 15th, 2015, 15:52
cmdisc, my character's portrait, XML and last chronicle are attached

cmdisc
November 16th, 2015, 09:59
Everything is looking good.

JWMK, I just need your information in order to reserve your spot.

Sean, make sure to get me Roxie's Chronicle once you have it.

AxitMaster, go ahead and give me your character info. If someone has to drop last minute, we can slot you in. Also keep track of the times I'll be offering Parts 2 and 3. If someone can't make those, you are first in line.

Syaoran0503
November 16th, 2015, 21:31
Wow! Can't believe I forgot the chronicle sheet. I'm having a bad week with being organized for games.

JWMK
November 17th, 2015, 02:53
JWMK, I just need your information in order to reserve your spot.

Sent you chronicle by e-mail, will get you character XML tonight. Looking forward to Friday (and if I survive, level 2 CORE)!

JWMK

cmdisc
November 17th, 2015, 18:24
Ok, I have all 6 of you loaded up. Party configuration right now looks to be:

Zwootwick, Sorcerer 2
Jayne, Ranger 2
Lucia, Fighter 1
Vulgar, Barbarian 1
Roxie, Bard 1
Vin Zhi, Monk 1

AxitMaster, feel free to send me your character information if you like. It's always possible someone might drop last minute.

Blackfoot
November 17th, 2015, 18:27
Hopefully, Roxie can cover any healing and magic detecting that we need done. Zwootwick is mostly a brainteaser without much real understanding of how or why magic works the way it does for him. He has a few tricks but 'few' is the operative word there.

He can 'sorta' UMD a little... but not very well.

Syaoran0503
November 17th, 2015, 20:15
Roxie is very much a support caster bard, so healing is fine. Her magic detecting is good too. So I'm quite happy handling those duties.

AxitMaster
November 19th, 2015, 18:02
Hi

Here is Tyldyn - Cleric of Desna

cmdisc
November 20th, 2015, 18:03
Server is up.

Blackfoot
November 20th, 2015, 18:05
Are you sure? Can't seem to connect.

cmdisc
November 20th, 2015, 18:08
I'm getting a Success on the Connection Test. Let me reboot and try again. Last time my direct IP was required because my Alias wasn't getting translated for folks for some reason. I will repost when the Server is back up.

cmdisc
November 20th, 2015, 18:16
Ok. System rebooted and still seeing "Success" on the connection test. See if that works. If not, find me in TeamSpeak and I'll post my direct IP.

cmdisc
November 21st, 2015, 00:02
Well thanks all for playing. AxitMaster, sorry that we weren't able to get you a spot. Aerine, it was sad to see your monk get taken out so early in the game. Just a few bad rolls atop some steady damage. But if anything good can be taken out of it, it helped to free up your Real Life scheduling. And if it's any consolation to you, the party did a good job preserving your body and making sure it and your possessions were returned to the nearest Lodge in order to be turned over to your next of kin (after righteously slaying the beast that killed you). Maybe someday soon we'll be seeing a relative taking up the torch where she left off??? ;)

Blackfoot
November 21st, 2015, 03:59
Thanks for running it CMD.

cmdisc
November 21st, 2015, 11:31
I'm thinking about running this a second time to try and capture more interest beyond the 6 of you that played. I will need to negotiate with the wife to figure out the best times to offer this (possibly involving some flowers and chocolates). Maybe the afternoon GMT of 28 Nov to allow for more people? It's a holiday weekend for State-side folks, but might work. I'll know more later.

This will not affect my plans to offer Part 2 of the series on Dec 3rd.

bigboom
November 21st, 2015, 12:47
I'll have to double check but I might actually be able to join a Dec 3rd session afterall. I'll figure it out after you post up the calendar and I settle my schedule. Thanks for the game!!

aerine
November 21st, 2015, 16:12
it's ok. I will rebuild her, I guess. So I Don't need 2 weapon fighting??

bigboom
November 21st, 2015, 16:23
I'm no expert, but monks have flurry of blows. So as long as you're fighting unarmed or using monk weapons, no, you don't need two weapon fighting. Flurry is like a special monk-oriented two weapon fighting.

Blackfoot
November 21st, 2015, 16:24
it's ok. I will rebuild her, I guess. So I Don't need 2 weapon fighting??
The Flurry of Blows class ability reads like this:
Starting at 1st level, a monk can make a flurry of blows as a full-attack action. When doing so, he may make on additional attack, taking a -2 penalty on all of his attack rolls, as if using the Two-Weapon Fighting feat. These attacks can be any combination of unarmed strikes and attacks with a monk special weapon (he does not need to use two weapons to use this ability). For the purpose of these attacks, the monk's base attack bonus from his monk class levels is equal to his monk level. For all other purposes, such as qualifying for a feat or a prestige class, the monk uses his normal base attack bonus.

So.. the only extra thing that 2 weapon fighting does for you is allow you to use it with non-monk weapons.

Blackfoot
November 21st, 2015, 16:35
One other thing about flurry... monks use their Class Level as their BAB when making a flurry of blows, so at level 1 it's only -1 to attack rolls instead of a -2 (since their actual BAB is +0 and their Level is 1.. plus the -2=-1)
I'm thinking you were taking a -2 on flurry in the game and that wasn't right.

bigboom
November 21st, 2015, 16:38
One of the cool things about flurry is that you can use anything to compromise your two flurry attacks. Say you have a kama in one hand and a siangham in the other.

You can attack with each weapon once. Or attack with one of those weapons twice. Or don't use the weapons at all and do two kicks, or an elbow jab and a knee. Any combination can be used for those two attacks.

You also have damage type flexibility. With a kama in hand, you can do slashing damage, a siangham does piercing damage. And if your enemy is resistant to both of those, then use unarmed attacks (kneeing, elbowing, kicking, etc.) which are blunt damage.

At least, that's how I understand and visualize the ability.

cmdisc
November 22nd, 2015, 10:06
I will be working on Chronicles today and should get them posted soon along with the session reported to Paizo.

I have posted the next game on the calendar for Saturday, 5 Dec. Unfortunately the 3rd and 4th will not work for me, but hopefully enough people can make this. If not, don't worry about missing out. I plan to run this 3-parter again in Jan/Feb after things settle down once the Holidays are over. So if you miss a session here or there, you can pick it up on the 2nd go-around.

The 6 of you that went through Part 1 have priority. Right now AxitMaster is 1st alternate again. If we need to fill more spots, I'll put out an announcement. Also if anyone plays their characters in another session before this one, just make sure to get me your updated files as soon as you're able.

Also note that my Alias has changed. Hopefully we'll have better luck with this one than the last one.

Dave, can you send me a PM or email on how to customize one's Alias. I remember you showing me a few years back, but I can't recall how to do it. I might change it again. ;)

Syaoran0503
November 22nd, 2015, 11:42
Axit, you're in luck, I definitely cannot make Dec. 5th. That is my dad's birthday, so I will have skip this one, and hopefully can catch it on the second time around.

Hopefully can catch the next game.

cmdisc
November 22nd, 2015, 14:50
Sorry that you can't make that one, Sean. We'll definitely try to fit you in on the 2nd go-around.

If you need anything changed or see any issues please let me know.

I've reported this to Paizo. The only issue I had was Vin's information did not auto-populate as usual or come up with any PFC reference. So hopefully everything reported ok.

cmdisc
November 23rd, 2015, 20:34
Just tossed another date/time up on the calendar to test availability.

Syaoran0503
November 23rd, 2015, 21:03
Unfortunately, I still can't make that time. That is the same time I play in Holognome's weekly Reign of Winter game. Oh well, just have to catch it another time.

cmdisc
November 23rd, 2015, 21:54
Just removed that extra date/time as it doesn't work for 4+ of you.

cmdisc
November 24th, 2015, 09:08
Aerine, can you make the 7pm GMT, 5 Dec session for Part II?

cmdisc
December 1st, 2015, 08:33
I hope those of you that are State-side had a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. There are a lot of games being offered this week and beyond, so just wanted to make sure everyone was tracking the 5 Dec session. We have 5 slots filled right now. I posted an announcement about the 6th empty one, but haven't heard any replies yet. If anyone has any changes to their schedules, let me know. Otherwise we'll be good to go this Saturday.

Aerine, I'll need your xml when you get a chance. I'm fine with everyone else's unless they've been played in other sessions since Part I.

aerine
December 1st, 2015, 14:10
I have it on the calendar. I was figuring you could just use the first character, since it's virtually the same. Simply getting rid of 2 weapon fighting and finding something else to put in it.
Aerine

cmdisc
December 1st, 2015, 14:23
Will do. :)

bigboom
December 2nd, 2015, 12:50
Heya CM, just checking. You didn't yet distribute chronicles for part 1, right?

cmdisc
December 2nd, 2015, 13:59
I had posted those and since pulled them down. Sent yours again.

bigboom
December 2nd, 2015, 14:33
Ah thanks! Got it now!

d1wright
December 4th, 2015, 20:36
Ready for Part 2 tomorrow!

Still have 1 CORE opening.

cmdisc
December 5th, 2015, 17:08
I will have the server up in about an hour so that you can log in and make any adjustments that you need since the last adventure.

As Dave mentioned, there is still 1 space open for anyone who wants it. Just post your xml and previous chronicle (if necessary) to secure it. Remember this is CORE, not Standard.

cmdisc
December 5th, 2015, 18:11
Server is up.

cmdisc
December 5th, 2015, 23:06
Good game, all. No deaths this time around. :)

I've put the next session date up on the calendar. Star Wars day at 1pm EST. I know it's 6 hours before Carrion Hill, but we should be done in time for you to make that. Just think Convention timing and we'll pace along just fine.

cmdisc
December 8th, 2015, 14:13
Chronicles are up. Any changes, let me know.

bigboom
December 8th, 2015, 16:32
Looking forward to the conclusion!

cmdisc
December 8th, 2015, 21:56
Fixed Zwootwick's to reflect his mega Dayjob roll. :p

Blackfoot
December 8th, 2015, 21:57
Thanks. That gold piece could mean the difference between life and death!

cmdisc
December 16th, 2015, 20:10
Chronicles from Part II are posted above. Grab yours if you haven't yet.

We're tracking for this Friday at 6pm GMT/1pm EST for the final installment. I've pulled the characters over from II to III. So if you need to make any changes, hop on early and do what you need to. I'll have the server up an hour before gametime. If you've since played your character please pass along the latest Chronicle. Otherwise I have Part I for Roxie and Part II for everyone else to work off of.

We're on a hard deadline of 6 hours. I expect to finish well before then, but it's always good to start on time (if not a little early) just to be sure.

Blackfoot
December 16th, 2015, 23:37
It looks like the only ones that have been picked up so far are Jayne and Zwootwick.

I'm still good for Friday.

bigboom
December 17th, 2015, 00:48
Yup, I've picked up my chronicle. And yup, I'm good to go for Friday also. Seeya there!

bigboom
December 17th, 2015, 00:56
We're on a hard deadline of 6 hours.

Was the hard deadline due to the start of the other game, Carrion Hill? If yes, then actually, that hard stop no longer applies because we finished off Carrion Hill last week. So we no longer have a session scheduled 6 hours after the start of Quest for Perfection.

I assume (hope?) we'll finish within 6 hours regardless tho!

aerine
December 17th, 2015, 04:08
I have at least 3 hard conflicts for Friday. I will leave the one 1/2 hour early but it will still make me 15 minutes late. I'm very sorry, but everyone is putting meetings this week b/c the holidays are next week :(

Blackfoot
December 17th, 2015, 05:07
Do we want to (can we) just plan to start a half hour later?
With the wrap of the Carrion Hill game I also don't have anything behind this. (Obviously cmdisc needs to get to bed of course)

cmdisc
December 17th, 2015, 06:03
I don't mind starting later. We were going earlier because of Carrion Hill (and I remember someone having a work conflict if we went too long). But we can push it off to 6:30 or even 7pm GMT. I'll still put the server up by 5pm and we'll just start when everyone has shown up.

Unfortunately Roxie will not be making it as Syaoran's schedule has changed. So there's a space free if anyone comes along and wants it. Otherwise we'll run with 5 again.

bigboom
December 18th, 2015, 00:13
I'm fine with a 630pm or 7pm GMT start time.

cmdisc
December 18th, 2015, 17:05
Server is up. If you can't get in, I will be on TS in a little while and will send you the IP if you need it.

aerine
December 22nd, 2015, 01:41
Um. Looking for my last chronicle.....

cmdisc
December 22nd, 2015, 09:12
Yes. Working on them. Will have them posted in the next few hours. :)

cmdisc
December 22nd, 2015, 12:18
Chronicles are ready. It's been a busy weekend preparing for Christmas, having my oldest fly home from college, and fitting in Star Wars (twice). :)

Any issues, let me know.

Blackfoot
December 22nd, 2015, 15:09
Looks good.

HoloGnome
December 22nd, 2015, 16:24
Yesterday, aerine had looked for her chronicle only to discover that it was a quest for pluperfection.