PDA

View Full Version : Pointer Circles Affected Squares

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2015, 00:10
I've noticed that pointer circles often do not correctly highlight/select the proper squares. Most annoyingly, the behavior is inconsistent and even within a pointer, it selects squares unevenly.

Take a look at this image, this 20' radius circle is centered in a square and the bottom and the right edges have a square selected that the top and left sides do not.

I'm not sure which squares should be highlighted, and if you apply the optional 5E rule for counting diagonals, how that should change, but not that the pointer does not seem to change behavior if that option is changed.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2015, 00:19
This is inheriting the positioning of "squares" from the 3.5E AoE rules - position the middle of the circle on the corner of a square (the grid intersection, not the centre of the square or the centre of an edge). I don't know what this means for 5E or any of its options.

Salva
February 1st, 2017, 03:23
Hi, not sure if this goes here but it has relation:
What means the number in the center of a pointer.
I have discarded radius and diameter in a circle: This one for example has a "20" but the radius is of "25".
Thanks

damned
February 1st, 2017, 03:46
If you drag diagonally instead of vert/horiz it uses the D&D rules for calculating diagonal movement... or something like that.

LordEntrails
February 1st, 2017, 19:03
Yea, to get the sizes you want, always drag horizontal or vertical.

Salva
February 2nd, 2017, 02:45
Thanks!!!

MarianDz
February 2nd, 2017, 12:39
only for better imagination :) diagonal 15" is little bigger

damned
February 2nd, 2017, 12:48
No one is disputing that - it is done deliberately - although your players might abuse it - because of how D&D describes diagonal movement.
Whack your players with a big stick if they are doing this to gain advantage! :bandit:

LordEntrails
February 2nd, 2017, 15:33
No one is disputing that - it is done deliberately - although your players might abuse it - because of how D&D describes diagonal movement.
Whack your players with a big stick if they are doing this to gain advantage! :bandit:
What them with a stick, or even better, a fireball from the BBEG where you use the diagonal distance to YOUR advantage!