PDA

View Full Version : When FG Gains Focus

Nickademus
November 10th, 2015, 21:30
I know that when FG gains focus it used to check the images folder for any new images added or images removed. It would do this as soon as Windows gave the application focus so that it would seem that FG updated the image list in real time. (And I think this is a great feature.)

But since the update, FG locks up for about 4 seconds when Windows gives it focus. I've noticed the new Store buttons on the Images and Modules windows. Is FG, by chance, checking the hard drive for Store material every time it gains focus as well? Or was something else added that FG checks for that would be causing greater delays when focus is gained?

I hop back and forth between Word, Notepad, Notepad++, jpgs, and folders of stock data quite a bit when making adventure content. This is causing a noticeable slow-down in my production having to stop and wait every time I do something outside of FG and return to it.

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2015, 21:43
There haven't been any changes to the image and token refresh code, since v3.0.4. Have you added any token files or images lately? Perhaps large/problematic image files or a large increase in token files is a factor?

The Store buttons are purely URL links sent to the OS to open in your browser, so have nothing to do with activation activities.

Regards,
JPG

Nickademus
November 10th, 2015, 23:29
This started today. I run with very few tokens, and all in modules that are closed when not needed. There are a few images, but also in modules that are kept closed when not needed. Regardless, when I am working on content, I'm in a campaign that doesn't access any of the other campaign material (because I later export the campaign as a module for that section of the campaign). Also, I have added nothing since yesterday.

Besides, I'm seeing this happen every time I switch back to FG. I can be in a Word file, click on FG *lag*, click on the Word file, click on FG *lag*, click on the Word file, click on FG *lag*, etc. Obviously I'm not adding more files as I'm clicking back and forth, so I'm wondering what FG is doing now on Focus Gained. Might just be on my end, but it started when I updated yesterday (best I can tell) so I'm not sure if it's coincidence or update problem.

I'll try to collect more data.

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2015, 23:34
It has to do a comparison of your existing token archive and image database vs. what is on disk. It can't assume that nothing has changed, so it runs through and checks by file name.

JPG

Nickademus
November 11th, 2015, 00:01
I figured as much. But it wasn't taking more than a fraction of a second a couple days ago. I may have added one image since, but it is hardly a difference to account for several seconds of delay. I'll keep looking into it when I'm not running a game.