PDA

View Full Version : PC Stat Block

warderbrad
November 10th, 2015, 21:12
Hello,
I tried to look on the Wiki and did not find this. I was wanting to have a way to view a PC as a single stat block. As a DM I cannot say what info I will need to know and it would be much easier to have a single window with the info. It would not have to have buttons for actions or the ability to edit. Does such a thing exist?

jshauber
November 10th, 2015, 21:14
As GM you can just look at the character sheet of any character you want. Also, use the party sheet to see most things listed on a couple tabs that you will need for all party members. You can also use the party sheet to make rolls for a wide variety of skills/abilities against a DC you set.

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2015, 23:40
I believe their is also an extension for the combat tracker that adds stats to the CT. Not what you are looking for, but maybe sufficient?

warderbrad
November 11th, 2015, 02:56
The main thing I like to be able to see is all the PCs skills (and by extension their passives) in kindof a table format. While I could have all the characters open, to answer a single question of "what is the passive insights of the party" becomes an exercise of many many clicks.

As an aside.
I am not sure why the suggestion of having the character sheets open was made as I stated pretty clearly in my OP that I was looking to have all the info in one display. As the character sheet doesn't fit that then it would not be the solution. It is a solution but anyone who has looked at the wiki or watched the videos would know that. I waited quite a while in replying hoping that the insult I felt would be less if I waited. I felt as if jshauber was assuming that I spent no time or effort in trying to find a solution and he needed to feel superior in his reply. Like I said I waited in hopes that I would feel differently but this exchange and some others I have had have left me not wanting to even read these forums anymore.

Trenloe
November 11th, 2015, 04:48
The main thing I like to be able to see is all the PCs skills (and by extension their passives) in kindof a table format. While I could have all the characters open, to answer a single question of "what is the passive insights of the party" becomes an exercise of many many clicks.
The ideal place for this would be the party sheet. In 5E the skills aren't listed in the party sheet, whereas in the 3.5E, Pathfinder and 4E rulesets the PC skills are available. I'd recommend you add a "Skills tab in the party sheet in 5E" request to the wishlist: https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

I am not sure why the suggestion of having the character sheets open was made as I stated pretty clearly in my OP that I was looking to have all the info in one display. As the character sheet doesn't fit that then it would not be the solution. It is a solution but anyone who has looked at the wiki or watched the videos would know that. I waited quite a while in replying hoping that the insult I felt would be less if I waited. I felt as if jshauber was assuming that I spent no time or effort in trying to find a solution and he needed to feel superior in his reply. Like I said I waited in hopes that I would feel differently but this exchange and some others I have had have left me not wanting to even read these forums anymore.
I really don't know why you felt insulted by jshauber's reply. He was only trying to make suggestions to help you. I really don't see any insult or insinuation that you hadn't done your research. When I respond to posts I very often include links to wiki entries or other posts - because it means I don't have to retype something and it saves me time. By your comments you'd take that approach as a serious insult - as you'd think I was posting the links to show you up and infer that you should have searched more for information. Whereas my intent is not that at all.

It is very easy to read the wrong intent into text based communication. jshauber was trying to help. If his response isn't what you're looking for then that's cool, you've further clarified exactly what you're looking for and now everyone should be clear on that.

Please don't take any of these posts as insulting. People are trying to help and a lot of us read all of the posts on these forums and try to help where we can. As there are a lot of posts it means that sometimes we don't read things as thoroughly as we should, and/or that our responses are briefer then perhaps they should be in an ideal world.

Keep posting questions and please don't feel insulted. :)

Zacchaeus
November 11th, 2015, 11:51
Not ideal but you could get a general picture of what the party's average insight score would be by glancing down the Wisdom column on the Party sheet. This wouldn't tell you if the character was proficient or not however and so might be of limited value.

As Trenloe suggests a visit to the Wish list might be in order :)

JohnD
November 12th, 2015, 05:55
Isn't passive perception in the party sheet?

kylania
November 12th, 2015, 06:57
Isn't passive perception in the party sheet?

Yup.

https://i.imgur.com/ik4vh27.jpg

Zacchaeus
November 12th, 2015, 09:30
He was mentioning passive insight not perception.

jshauber
November 12th, 2015, 13:21

As an aside.

Was not intending any insult just pointing out various ways to get the stats you needed.

Sorry, if we felt offended, not my intent at all.

warderbrad
November 21st, 2015, 15:46
I was having a conversation with a player today and we were talking about his interest in the Observant feat and the use of passive skills. While Perception is available, no other passive skills are listed and so it is more difficult to remember. How hard would it be to add a second column to the skills tab that would allow showing the passive skill values for all skills. This would allow DMs the option of giving bonuses to other passive skills and not having to just remember that the bonus exists. I would still suggest having an extra tab on the party sheet for all skills (maybe showing both the skill rank and the passive score).

I have posted a suggestion for this and would appreciate any votes others would wish to give.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/proj/?ia=99515

Zacchaeus
November 21st, 2015, 19:34
I'm not sure that the DM needs to see all of the skills since there's only a small number of them that would be used passively. Obviously perception is the main one and I can see that insight or investigation could be useful but I don't see any of the others coming up too often in a passive context. At present there just isn't room on the Party sheet as it stands to list a great deal more information I would have thought but I do notice that the AC is shown and I can't ever think that I've ever used or needed that. Perhaps if AC was replaced by say insight or investigation, that I think would be more useful and perhaps doable without a great deal of additional work.

warderbrad
November 21st, 2015, 20:29
I'm not sure that the DM needs to see all of the skills since there's only a small number of them that would be used passively. Obviously perception is the main one and I can see that insight or investigation could be useful but I don't see any of the others coming up too often in a passive context. At present there just isn't room on the Party sheet as it stands to list a great deal more information I would have thought but I do notice that the AC is shown and I can't ever think that I've ever used or needed that. Perhaps if AC was replaced by say insight or investigation, that I think would be more useful and perhaps doable without a great deal of additional work.

I think replacing any portion of the existing info is a bad idea. Ac for one would be used far too often by those who wish not to use the automation. This is why I suggested a new tab for the skills to be displayed on.
As for if a DM needs to see all the skills and their passives I can give you ones off the top of my head. Remember that asking for a skill check represents asking for an action, as such having the PC roll could result in less actions for the PC. It doesn't have to but this gives the DM extra ammunition to combat things that bog down the game and such.
Any of the five (Arcana, History, Medicine, Nature, Religion) knowledge skills for when a character would know information without need of a check and not only slowing the game down to ask for one but to also put at risk the chance of a bad roll and the character not learning the info needed to move the story along.
A passive persuasion/deception/intimidation to see if the character is so charismatic/so slick/ so intimidating that without even trying they convince someone to do something or tell them something. Again the reasons for the check are the same as the knowledge skills.
A passive stealth to see if the character is naturally someone who is quiet enough without putting in conscious effort to get by someone.
Passive Investigation for when the players are taking loot from a chest to notice there is a false bottom. Most DMs mistakenly use Perception here but if you read the skill descriptions it is more appropriate to use Investigation.
I am sure if I tried I could find ways to use passives for Athletics, Animal Handling, Acrobatics, and Survival. I agree that Sleight of Hand use would be an action and so any use would be a roll but it is an outlier in that way.

I hope I have shown that even though passive perception is definately the most common to use, that nearly all the skills could be used in a passive way and as such the info could be valuable to the DM. Also to not provide a way to track the passives for all skills it limits what the DM can do by not allowing a way to track a bonus that they may wish to give.
I have played in many games where based on your background story (not background path choices) that you would get a bonus to a skill or two. I have used this as well but thinking about it I would almost rather give a larger bonus to the passive only portion as it represents long used knowledge or skills. Either way with the suggestion specifically mentioning an extra tab it would not be limited to the space that is currently in use for the party sheet now.

Trenloe
November 21st, 2015, 20:39
This would be a handy addition as a separate tab (which is what warderbrad has suggestion in the wishlist). If GMs don't want it then they can ignore it. This is not a new idea, it is available in other rulesets, for example:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/File:3.5E_ps_skills.jpg