PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle, "after roll but before the outcome is determinated"

ffujita
November 10th, 2015, 20:48
The Lucky feat (and I think some other abilities) allows you to know what you've rolled, but not whether the roll has been successful or not, before you decide whether to use one of your luck points. In FG the outcome of a roll is determined when the original roll is made. I am not complaining about this, nor am I asking for a change to be made to the software, but I would like to ask how GMs deal with this. I'm inclined to say that if the PC wants to maintain the option to use a luck point, that the Player needs to state before rolling something like, "I'll use a luck point if I roll less than a 14" and then be bound by that statement. But there might be a better way to handle these types of options that the players are supposed to have between the roll and the outcome determination.

Redemption77
November 11th, 2015, 03:01
I allow my player to decide if they use their luck roll right after making their roll before I let them know if they hit or miss. I give them a moment, sometimes I even ask them if they want to use a luck point. A few times they have used luck even though they had hit the target with their normal roll. Luck roll? Not so lucky. Good times

kane280484
November 11th, 2015, 04:08
Yeah, but the system tells them if it's hit/miss, that's what ffujta meant I guess.

JohnD
November 11th, 2015, 04:31
I would say that player needs to make untargeted rolls - they can see their result and decide whether or not to roll again. If they use the original roll, the DM pulls the result to the target in the CT and you see if it hits or misses. If a second roll is made, this one can be targeted normally.

epithet
November 11th, 2015, 05:55
I don't see it as that big a deal. After the first round or so my players will know what they need to roll to hit a target, unless I go out of my way to throw them a curve ball. I'm not going to go to any extra effort - or make my players do so, either - to strictly adhere to that rule. FG and the combat tracker speed up combat by a significant factor, and I'm not looking to get in the way of that.

Zacchaeus
November 11th, 2015, 11:42
Yeah, but the system tells them if it's hit/miss, that's what ffujta meant I guess.

It will only tell them that if the DM chooses to set the option to allow the players that information. If it's switched off the players won't know the result.

Zacchaeus
November 11th, 2015, 11:44
The Lucky feat (and I think some other abilities) allows you to know what you've rolled, but not whether the roll has been successful or not, before you decide whether to use one of your luck points. In FG the outcome of a roll is determined when the original roll is made. I am not complaining about this, nor am I asking for a change to be made to the software, but I would like to ask how GMs deal with this. I'm inclined to say that if the PC wants to maintain the option to use a luck point, that the Player needs to state before rolling something like, "I'll use a luck point if I roll less than a 14" and then be bound by that statement. But there might be a better way to handle these types of options that the players are supposed to have between the roll and the outcome determination.

Not an easy one, since I always forget that the player has that ability and I'm usually in there telling them it's a hit or a miss before I've thought about it. Mind you the player forgets as well. So I'm pretty relaxed about it and don't stick to the RAW. If he wants to re-roll even though he knows the result I allow it.

LordEntrails
November 13th, 2015, 04:18
Bardic Inspiration has the same ... issue. What we do is that before the roll the player states when they will use their BI. It goes something like this, "on an 8 to 13 I use my BI" and then they do the roll. If it's a hit, they go as usual, and I remove the BI effect if the raw roll was 8 to 13. If it's a miss, and the roll was 8-13, then they roll the 1d6 and I tell them if they now hit.

I've thought about hard coding this into the effect, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Redemption77
November 13th, 2015, 14:19
I have it set so only the gm sees if the roll succeeds or fails so its never been an issue. Sure sometimes its obvious, if they are fighting some thugs and roll a 18 they are pretty sure they hit, but its like that at a table as well. My players never know before I tell them if they hit or they miss