PDA

View Full Version : Changing theme elements

bullywug
November 10th, 2015, 12:02
I have been fiddling with themes I downloaded and they seem pretty easy and straight forward to edit for the most part. I'm wondering if it would be possible to change elements in the interface to make them larger. Specifically the scroll bars and some of the buttons. The reason is that we use FG on a touch screen tabletop PC and there are some elements that are difficult to press.

Moon Wizard
November 10th, 2015, 21:27
I answered in your touch screen post. It is definitely possible to adjust control sizes with an extension. The main consideration is that controls may begin to overlap or layout in unexpected ways given that the ruleset frameworks assume a certain control size for layout definitions. Also, you may need to update your extension when we updates the underlying ruleset frameworks.

Regards,
JPG

Patou
November 11th, 2015, 13:52
I'm a big time D&D DM & Player since 1987. One thing i've noticed is when you set the room, atmosphere, a little intro to the evening's game and even some physical elements (printed images of the upcoming events on the wall, map, npc picture, and a magical item which might be found) brings a spark in the players and a level of intrigue. I believe that setting this mood through the theme would be an awesome added feature for the DM. Something that is easy and user friendly. Allows you to go into an image folder and choose a jpeg, png, etc. and implement it on the background including changing elements from the icons and border (color, overcoating them with a material aspect such as stone, wood, and even water). This of course would be just an image and not an actual animated image.

Something for your R&D team:)

Pat

bullywug
November 12th, 2015, 16:41
Thanks for the info JPG. I've tried googling around but I've not been able to find out any kind of tutorial on how to modifiy the themes in Fantasy Grounds. Do you know of one you could point me towards?

Griogre
November 12th, 2015, 17:54
The best way is to take one apart and look at it. Take a look at one of my Core themes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20355-Alternative-Wood-and-Dungeon-Themes&p=166936

In case you didn't know, module and extension files are zip files in disguise. You can change the .ext to .zip and just unzip them.

Trenloe
November 12th, 2015, 17:57
A few theme examples here: https://www.fg-con.com/free-downloads/ Including custom decal instructions.

bullywug
November 12th, 2015, 18:27
Thanks. I was just hoping for something describing what component names are and stuff like that. I'll putz around with it and try to post more specific questions.

The best way is to take one apart and look at it. Take a look at one of my Core themes here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20355-Alternative-Wood-and-Dungeon-Themes&p=166936

In case you didn't know, module and extension files are zip files in disguise. You can change the .ext to .zip and just unzip them.

Trenloe
November 12th, 2015, 18:37
Thanks. I was just hoping for something describing what component names are and stuff like that.
Nothing like that is available, as it would be a huge task to complete and then keep updated as new ruleset versions come out. Plus, it's something that perhaps 0.00001% of FG users would actually make use of.

To start you on the right track, refer to this post (and post #1 in that thread): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20651-Modifying-the-CoreRPG-ruleset&p=170384&viewfull=1#post170384 This will give you an idea of which files to go to for different areas of FG. From there most XML control definitions will have a name that should be fairly relevant - for example, the scroll bar will usually be named scrollbar(something) or scroller(something).

The biggest issue you're going to have initially is working out where the templates that the end control uses are defined. They might be in the ruleset you're using or they might be in CoreRPG. This is where you'll want to extract the ruleset your using and the CoreRPG ruleset to directories and use "find in files" in your text editor of choice to find where the template definitions are. Be aware that templates might be based on other templates, so it can be a bit confusing at first - just be methodical and work your way from template to template to find the base template (if you even need to go that far).

You'll also want to look at the graphics definitions and files in the \graphics directory. If you change the size of a graphic you will probably need to change the frame definition (usually in graphics_frames.xml) or the size of the control that uses that graphic (in the control definition or an underlying template). But, as Moon wizard mentions above, changing the size of one component can have a knock-on effect on the rest of the window where that component resides.

Griogre
November 13th, 2015, 19:23
All that above, while true, isn't really necessary if you just want to change the look. I would just suggest you start by just changing the graphics in one of the theme extensions by using images of the same size. That is easy and quick to do and pretty effective.

bullywug
November 13th, 2015, 19:37
All that above, while true, isn't really necessary if you just want to change the look. I would just suggest you start by just changing the graphics in one of the theme extensions by using images of the same size. That is easy and quick to do and pretty effective.

Actually, what I'm trying to change I've not seen changed in any of the themes. The attack, hit, and effect buttons on the character sheets are really small and I need to make them bigger so my sausage fingered players can actually hit them. :)

Griogre
November 14th, 2015, 10:26
Ah, you might try telling them to scale up the ui to 125 or so and see if it helps.

ffujita
November 14th, 2015, 19:18
> it's something that perhaps 0.00001% of FG users would actually make use of

I didn't know that FG had a million users. Wow! :)

damned
November 14th, 2015, 21:55
> it's something that perhaps 0.00001% of FG users would actually make use of

I didn't know that FG had a million users. Wow! :)

story tellers are prone to a little hyperbole at times :)

Patou
November 19th, 2015, 20:10
Nice!!!!!

Thanks guys!