PDA

View Full Version : Expanded Fantasy Language Fonts (FG v3.1.3+)

Trenloe
November 9th, 2015, 18:58
Fantasy Grounds v3.1.3 comes with most of the old language extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets)functionality added to the base product, with the addition of being selectable directly through a dropdown combo box in the chat window, and maintained through a GUI language list.

However, not all languages/fonts in the original extension are included with the base FG system. So, I've put together an extension that replicates the languages and fonts used in the original language extension. See screenshots of the languages and fonts here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets&p=166710&viewfull=1#post166710

FG Classic only. Cannot be used with FG Unity. Unity version available here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?63345-Golarion-Languages-and-Fonts-for-FGU

Extension attached below.

Note: If you've already created the campaign before loading this new extension then FG won't use the new mappings, it will use the old ones from the base FG settings, and won't show the new language names (although the new fonts will be available). Edit your campaign db.xml file and remove the <languages> section (all of it, including the <languages> .. </languages> tags). Then open up your campaign with this extension enabled and the new mappings will be there.

Edited to add RolemasterClassic to the allowed rulesets.

Trenloe
November 9th, 2015, 18:58
How this extension works - if you want to change the mappings or add your own fonts.

The GameSystem.languagefonts table sets up the fonts that can be assigned to a language in the Languages admin screen (available from the Options window). The name in square brackets is what will appear in the drop down list in the Languages admin window and the name after the = is the actual name of the font within Fantasy Grounds (defined in graphics\graphics_fonts.xml in the base ruleset or extension.xml in this extension) and is, strangely enough, the name that will appear in the list once the font is selected. I'd recommend making the name before an after the = the same.

The GameSystem.languages table is the list of the base language name to font mappings. Whatever is in the square brackets is the actual language name and after the = is the FG font name - within this extension it doesn't have to match to entries in the GameSystem.languagefonts table it can be a valid FG font name, but this might get confusing and it won't be available in the drop down fonts list.

Summary: Setup new FG fonts in GameSystem.languagefonts and map language name to font in GameSystem.languages

Zacchaeus
November 9th, 2015, 20:46
Nice Work, young man!

David32780
May 22nd, 2016, 13:53
Hello everyone.

I have been trying to get this language extension to work for some time now and have tried remaking a campaign, deleting the db.xml file and have still had no luck at all trying to get this extension to work and to show the embedded fonts.

Thanks in advance for any insight that could help get this working.

Nylanfs
May 22nd, 2016, 14:16
I think this extension was rendered obsolete and rolled into the main program.

Zacchaeus
May 22nd, 2016, 14:37
No this extension provides more fonts and languages than is in the base product.

David, it doesn't look like you have any fonts in there at all and you should have the basic language list even without this extension. What ruleset are you using? And do you see a list of languages without the extension.

damned
May 22nd, 2016, 14:41
That is a CoreRPG screen shot I believe - and no - there are no languages loaded by default in CoreRPG (afaik).

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2016, 14:52
Hello everyone.

I have been trying to get this language extension to work for some time now and have tried remaking a campaign, deleting the db.xml file and have still had no luck at all trying to get this extension to work and to show the embedded fonts.

Thanks in advance for any insight that could help get this working.
1) What ruleset are you using?
2) Do you see the extension loading message in the chat Window:

David32780
May 22nd, 2016, 15:16
Hey Zacchaeus

I am using CoreRPG and unfortunately there are no languages in the drop down box while using the base rule set with no extensions added.

I am using MoreCore. Would that have anything to do with it or probably not.

David32780
May 22nd, 2016, 15:24
1) What ruleset are you using?
2) Do you see the extension loading message in the chat Window:

1. Core RPG

2. No, I figured it was not needed anymore when I read this in the CoreRPG extension list

Or is this extension on the list something totally different than what I thought it was as being the base for the symbols?

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2016, 15:24
This extension was not created for the CoreRPG ruleset itself as it was a direct replacement for the older languages extension (which didn't work in CoreRPG). So, I'm guessing you're not loading the extension as "Fantasy Language Fonts" isn't available as an option for CoreRPG based campaigns?

Try the attached (I've modified it to work with the CoreRPG ruleset) - but you'll need to activate it in your campaign (load a brand new CoreRPG campaign). If you don't see the loading message in the chat window (shown in post #8 above) then it's not loading.

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2016, 15:29
1. Core RPG

2. No, I figured it was not needed anymore when I read this in the CoreRPG extension list

Or is this extension on the list something totally different than what I thought it was as being the base for the symbols?
OK, there's obviously some confusion here. You haven't loaded this extension at all (the one included in post #1 of this thread). Extensions need to be loaded to be used. This extension adds a bunch of fonts that were in the old extension (which is no longer needed). But you need to load this extension (attached in post #1) in order to still be able to use the fonts from the old languages extension.

So - the question is: are you just trying to get basic language fonts to work? Or are you actually trying to load this extension and use the additional language fonts?

David32780
May 22nd, 2016, 15:49
I loaded the extension and it loaded the language symbols.

What I think got me was reading on the forum page that the old language extension was no longer needed and that was why I did not load the extension in the first place because I assumed they were added in the base CoreRPG ruleset.

Is there a way to now get the Dwarvish, Elvish, Sylvan, Primordial etc like what is in the 5e ruleset. Or is that just available there?

Thanks guys and sorry for any confusion here.

David32780
May 23rd, 2016, 11:28
Sorry to keep bothering you guys.

Is there a way to now get the Dwarvish, Elvish, Sylvan, Primordial etc like what is in the 5e ruleset. Or is that just available there?

Thanks

damned
May 23rd, 2016, 12:20
Get them from the 5e ruleset and use the extension that Trenloe uploaded for you and have a tinker... Im sure you will work it out.... :)

Dracius
December 5th, 2016, 07:57
For some reason when I use this extension, the "Elven" font shows as a blank entry on the language selection list.
Image attached.16774

Dwarven and a few other fonts also don't show up on the front drop down selection list. I've tried loading just this extension and no other extensions in a NEW campaign and the issue persists.

I've tried a few other combinations of the default language extension and this one and your other language extension and loading a new campaign each time. Yet I Can't seem to get this bug fixed so that it shows all the proper language fronts in the drop down.

PS. Sorry for the double post!

Dracius
December 5th, 2016, 08:05
Accidental double post. Delete this please.

Trenloe
December 5th, 2016, 08:32
For some reason when I use this extension, the "Elven" font shows as a blank entry on the language selection list.
Image attached.16774

Dwarven and a few other fonts also don't show up on the front drop down selection list. I've tried loading just this extension and no other extensions in a NEW campaign and the issue persists.

I've tried a few other combinations of the default language extension and this one and your other language extension and loading a new campaign each time. Yet I Can't seem to get this bug fixed so that it shows all the proper language fronts in the drop down.
Thanks for the heads-up. This is due to the 5E ruleset having the language string set to Dwarvish and Elvish, where the extension expects these to be Dwarven and Elven. I'll provide an update when I've thought of the best way to do this so that all rulesets using this extension keep compatibility.

Dracius
December 5th, 2016, 15:29
Can you please also add fonts for Druidic and Thieves Cant in the next update? :)

Trenloe
December 5th, 2016, 17:03
Can you please also add fonts for Druidic and Thieves Cant in the next update? :)
Druidic was in there (using the Aquan font) but that has also been removed from the 5E language names by the looks of it. I'll add that to the list to hard code - we'll lose "translation" of the interface by hard coding, but it will stop these issues occurring in future.

You can add "languages" in yourself - within a campaign, go to the "Options" window, click the "Languages" button, then add the language name you want to match in FG and the most relevant font you want to use. The fonts this extension adds are shown here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20332-Tenians-Language-Chat-Extension-for-select-FG-3-0-rulesets&p=166710&viewfull=1#post166710

deifdark
July 26th, 2017, 12:50
Hello. This is my first post. I´ll try to write English as better as I can because my maternal language is Spanish.
Well, I´ve load the MoreCore ruleset in my standard license of FG y all right.
Then I tried charged the "Expanded language fonts" extension but it doesn´t work for MoroCore ruleset. For 3.5E, 4E, 5E works, but not for MoreCore ruleset.
Is there any error?,
Is Expanded language fonts" extension compatible with MoroCore ruleset?
Thanks a lot.

Trenloe
July 26th, 2017, 16:19
Is Expanded language fonts" extension compatible with MoroCore ruleset?
It wasn't compatible, but I've just done some tests and it appears to work OK with the recent releases of CoreRPG and therefore MoreCore.

I've updated the attachment in post #1.

Post any issues/questions to may have in this thread.

deifdark
July 26th, 2017, 22:15
Superb. I've load the new attachment and it works perfectly in MoreCore.
Thanks so much and I'm sorry, I've written my first post in the wrong threat.

Trenloe
January 12th, 2018, 17:25
Added SavageWorlds to the rulesets. I've only done basic testing. Let me know if there are any issues.

Rastroll
April 9th, 2018, 21:20
How this extension works - if you want to change the mappings or add your own fonts.

The GameSystem.languagefonts table sets up the fonts that can be assigned to a language in the Languages admin screen (available from the Options window). The name in square brackets is what will appear in the drop down list in the Languages admin window and the name after the = is the actual name of the font within Fantasy Grounds (defined in graphics\graphics_fonts.xml in the base ruleset or extension.xml in this extension) and is, strangely enough, the name that will appear in the list once the font is selected. I'd recommend making the name before an after the = the same.

The GameSystem.languages table is the list of the base language name to font mappings. Whatever is in the square brackets is the actual language name and after the = is the FG font name - within this extension it doesn't have to match to entries in the GameSystem.languagefonts table it can be a valid FG font name, but this might get confusing and it won't be available in the drop down fonts list.

Summary: Setup new FG fonts in GameSystem.languagefonts and map language name to font in GameSystem.languages

Hello, I am trying to add a custom font to your extension or to Fantasy Grounds. I don't quite understand where to look for GameSystem.languagefonts and GameSystem.languages so that i can modify them.

Thanks.

Trenloe
April 9th, 2018, 21:22
Welcome to the forums!

Hello, I am trying to add a custom font to your extension or to Fantasy Grounds. I don't quite understand where to look for GameSystem.languagefonts and GameSystem.languages so that i can modify them.

Thanks.
They're LUA tables - see the LUA script file scripts\languages_extension.lua in the extension in post #1.

Rastroll
April 9th, 2018, 22:39
Thanks and thank you for the quick reply.

Miko_Chan
April 11th, 2018, 07:24
Okay, I have never modded anything before in my LIFE, but I wanted to add a custom Thassilonian true-type font I found online to this extension. I figured out how to turn the EXT into a zip file, I figured out what I needed to type in the languages_extension.lua. And I think I know what to add to the extension.xml file. But I noticed all the fonts link to fgf files? And not the actual font files? What do I need to do from this point?

damned
April 11th, 2018, 07:37
Hey Miko_Chan there is a FGFontGenerator.exe floating around somewhere that converts fonts to a bitmap.

damned
April 11th, 2018, 07:38
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGFontGenerator.exe

Miko_Chan
April 11th, 2018, 07:58
Hmm, okay I thought I had the grasp of this, but apparently I must have made a minor mistake somewhere. Oh well! Nothing to it but to keep trying.

Thanks for pointing me at the converter!

Miko_Chan
April 11th, 2018, 08:13
Oh how a single forgotten quotation mark can be thy bane. But hey. I figured it out! Thanks to the mod authors and to damned for hooking me up with the converter program!

Trenloe
April 11th, 2018, 17:30
You can also use TTF files directly - see the CoreRPG ruleset for an example:

<font name="reference-page-header">
<ttf file="graphics/fonts/AlegreyaSansSC-Bold.ttf" name="Alegreya Sans SC" size="24" />
<color value="#000000" />
</font>

More info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/refdoc/font.xcp

However, Moon Wizard (main FG dev) has recently said that this can be inefficient - as FG has to do the conversion at runtime. If you have a couple of TTF fonts then it's OK using this, if you have a lot it is probably worth converting them to .fgf format first.

It may depend on the license the TTF file comes under - if it doesn't allow modification of the base TTF file, then you probably shouldn't be converting it in any publicly distributed FG material.

Viper007
April 13th, 2018, 18:10
Looking at the extension it seems that it could be modified to serve other rulesets that are based on CoreRPG. The one in particular that I am interested in is the N.E.W. ruleset by MadBeardMan.
Do you think there would be a conflict with it? My idea is to make a new set of languages that are science fiction based for particular alien species. They would be TTF fonts, made mostly by myself and a few I have found on the internet.

Another question is would the fgf converter have a problem with these TTF fonts, after I make them? I am thinking not, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Trenloe
April 13th, 2018, 18:11
Do you think there would be a conflict with it?
Probably wouldn't have a conflict. Give it a go.

Llisandur
April 18th, 2018, 02:26
Could you add a loadorder tag to your extension.xml? Because it doesn't have one it loads alphabetically, and since it overwrites the GameSystem.languagefonts and GameSystem.languages, any other extensions which add languages and don't overwrite have to be named in such a way as to load after your extension.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2018, 03:29
Could you add a loadorder tag to your extension.xml? Because it doesn't have one it loads alphabetically, and since it overwrites the GameSystem.languagefonts and GameSystem.languages, any other extensions which add languages and don't overwrite have to be named in such a way as to load after your extension.
I understand what you're saying, but changing the loadorder in this extension will only make it load later in the extension load process, not earlier - which will overwrite what earlier extensions have already done. Also, FG devs have said there is no actual guarantee of the exact load order for extensions with the same load order (default = 0). So, although it may appear to you that they are loading alphabetically, there is no guarantee that this will happen every time.

But, if you feel this will work for you, then you can make the loadorder change to the extension for your own use.

The code in the extension originally was coded to add fonts on the end of existing ones, but there were issues with this - although I can't remember the exact details as this was over 2 years ago. The original code is still there, commented out - you could uncomment the code, also change the names of the two tables etc. to make it populate the language and font table without overwriting. Hopefully the issues I had over 2 years ago will no longer be relevant now.

Llisandur
April 18th, 2018, 03:44
I did try that, which is why I asked. If I set the load order for your extension to some number and then set my extensions to a later number, it loads just fine. But without the loadorder tag on your extension, it seems to ignore the loadorder tags altogether, rather than defaulting to a loadorder of 0.

Anyway, rather than use the old code, I've found that
function onInit()
-- Add new fonts to the end of the current languagefonts table in manager_gamesystem.lua
GameSystem.languagefonts["language"] = "language"

-- Add new languages to the end of the current languages table in manager_gamesystem.lua
GameSystem.languages["language"] = "language"
end seems to work just fine for adding new languages. I'm not sure if it's possible to overwrite old ones with this method though, which I think your extension does. As such they just have to load after your extension or they'll be overwritten.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2018, 03:49
I did try that, which is why I asked. If I set the load order for your extension to some number and then set my extensions to a later number, it loads just fine. But without the loadorder tag on your extension, it seems to ignore the loadorder tags altogether, rather than defaulting to a loadorder of 0.
Sounds like maybe an issue with FG not reading/translating no loadorder to 0. Whereas changing to loadorder 1 (or something else) might seem to work now, if loadorder 0 is reinstated at some point, it will result in the extension not loading first. I'd prefer to get the base issue sorted thank do workarounds that might not be valid for long.

Anyway, rather than use the old code, I've found that
function onInit()
-- Add new fonts to the end of the current languagefonts table in manager_gamesystem.lua
GameSystem.languagefonts["language"] = "language"

-- Add new languages to the end of the current languages table in manager_gamesystem.lua
GameSystem.languages["language"] = "language"
end seems to work just fine for adding new languages. I'm not sure if it's possible to overwrite old ones with this method though, which I think your extension does.
That code is doing exactly the same as the old code in the extension is doing. It doesn't add to any existing tables, you're overwriting any previously defined languages just like the current extension does. It's not changing anything.

Llisandur
April 18th, 2018, 03:56
It doesn't overwrite the previously added languages because it's simply adding to the end of the array. The extension's code uses GameSystem.languagefonts = {["language"] = "language"} which sets the array to a new array.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2018, 04:10
It doesn't overwrite the previously added languages because it's simply adding to the end of the array. The extension's code uses GameSystem.languagefonts = {["language"] = "language"} which sets the array to a new array.
Sorry, I was assuming you were copying a whole new table over - as you only had one line of code. It wasn't clear that you would have one line for each individual language. If it works, go with it.

Llisandur
April 18th, 2018, 04:11
Yeah, just copy both of those lines for each language. It works great.

Trenloe
April 18th, 2018, 04:29
It's another way of doing what the commented out code in the extension originally did. I remember what the original issue was - some rulesets, CoreRPG included, don't define the GameSystem.languagefonts in manager_gamesystem.lua, so using GameSystem.languagefonts["language"] = "language" produces and error and the script exits. That's why I hard coded the tables, not adding them onto any existing table - because it wasn't there. I could have coded around it, but it was basically a proof-of-concept extension, and it worked, so I didn't take it any further.

You can check the ruleset you're going to use the modified extension with and make sure both of the GameSystem language tables exist, and so adding in new languages to the end of a language table will work OK for all possible situations.

Maldev
May 16th, 2018, 00:41
G'day there. I have existing campaigns, so how do I

1/ "Edit your campaign db.xml file and remove the <languages> section (all of it, including the <languages> .. </languages> tags)."

so I can use the extension?
Cheers

damned
May 16th, 2018, 00:59
From FG splash screen click on Explorer folder icon to view your data file folders.
Go to Campaigns and your campaign.

Locate db.xml and make a copy as a backup.
Edit db.xml and locate the <languages> start and end tags and delete. that entire section.
Save the db.xml and start your campaign.

Maldev
May 16th, 2018, 07:31
Thanks for that, it's working.
Cheers

Sarifal
January 11th, 2019, 14:33
Hi, is there any way how to make your great extension to work in GURPS ruleset?

Thanks.

Trenloe
January 11th, 2019, 15:35
Hi, is there any way how to make your great extension to work in GURPS ruleset?

Thanks.
I don't know if it will work fully. You can edit the extension to add GURPS to be a <ruleset> tags, then load it up and test it.

Sarifal
January 11th, 2019, 17:22
I don't know if it will work fully. You can edit the extension to add GURPS to be a <ruleset> tags, then load it up and test it.

Looks like it works! Thank you very much!!!

SuperGeneric
February 8th, 2019, 01:34
I know it has been a while for this thread, but when you say that the extension allows you to make custom languages is that using the fonts from the extension? I have got the extension to work but have no idea if I can use it with a custom font.

For example, one of my PCs wants to be able to speak binary. I said I'll try and was wondering if there was a way to use the extension to make a font consisting of only 1's and 0's? I thought it would be a cool mechanic where he can talk with machines or automated contraptions as a way of gathering information, encourage the machine work faster, or something. Is this possible?

Trenloe
February 8th, 2019, 01:58
Post #2 details how to add new font files to the extension. If you find a font that replaces standard letters with something like a binary representation of sorts, then you can add that to your own extension (you’ll also need to define it as an FG font).

Open up the extension and see how the new fonts contained in the extension are defined, and do the same for a new font.

SuperGeneric
February 8th, 2019, 02:04
Oh, I should have read the thread more thoroughly. I will try that. Thanks

Edit:

If anyone wants the .fgf for the font just ask :)

tahl_liadon
March 13th, 2020, 02:01
up until recently, i was able to assign different fantasy languages by selecting from a relatively extensive list of fantasy fonts (extension) using the "language" in options.

i think update 3.3.10 may have broke this... can someone confirm (there are only 5 languages in this list now)?

Trenloe
March 13th, 2020, 10:25
up until recently, i was able to assign different fantasy languages by selecting from a relatively extensive list of fantasy fonts (extension) using the "language" in options.

i think update 3.3.10 may have broke this... can someone confirm (there are only 5 languages in this list now)?
I've just tested in a new PFRPG campaign and all of the languages are present in the Options -> Languages window, and the chat window dropdown. Looks to be working fine to me in FGC v3.3.10.

See the note in post #1 about adding this extension to an existing campaign.

tahl_liadon
March 14th, 2020, 01:16
@trenloe, thx for that tip.

i followed instructions and it didn't work. i even re-downloaded the chat and font extensions.

it turned out that those weren't the problem. having lived the life as a fg extension addict, i had a hunch there might be a conflict somewhere.

sure enough, language extension conflicts with @kelrugem's advanced 3.5e and pathfinder effects extension. (gonna drop him a note in that thread and see if he can do something about it).

so right now, language is behaving as it should with the other one off.

epithet
March 29th, 2020, 18:29
When I try this extension in FGU, I get a bunch of errors.

[3/29/2020 12:23:35 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[3/29/2020 12:24:00 PM] Starting private server mode. [(192.168.1.10:1802) (ipv6deleted)]
[3/29/2020 12:24:00 PM] Game server started. [192.168.1.10:1802]
[3/29/2020 12:24:00 PM] Launcher scene exiting.
[3/29/2020 12:24:00 PM] Tabletop scene starting.
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Aquan). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Celestial). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Draconic). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Dwarven). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Elven). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Giant). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Infernal). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Gnoll). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Aklo). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Common). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Hallit). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Kelish). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Osiriani). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Polyglot). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Shadowtongue). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Shoanti). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Skald). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Tien). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Varisian). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:24 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] font: Missing TTF tag for font (Vudrani). [Fantasy Language Fonts (1)] [extension.xml]
[3/29/2020 12:24:45 PM] s'Adding new Golarion based languages...'

Any suggestions?

Trenloe
March 29th, 2020, 18:34
When I try this extension in FGU, I get a bunch of errors....

Any suggestions?
FGU uses a different font format to FGC. You can't use this in FGU. I'll note that in post #1.

Elvedui
March 29th, 2020, 18:51
Is there a plan to create a version of this for FGU? Also, what about making this compatible with RMC rulesets?

Trenloe
March 29th, 2020, 19:09
Is there a plan to create a version of this for FGU?
I don't plan to do it. If someone else wants to look for similar public domain TTF/OTF fonts and create a FGU extension then they're welcome to go for it.

Also, what about making this compatible with RMC rulesets?
It should be compatible with the CoreRPG version of RMC.
(https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55141-RolemasterClassic-ruleset-v2-0-(based-on-CoreRPG))

Siltoneous
April 25th, 2020, 05:46
It does work in the new CoreRPG version of RMC. At least with the test version 2.0.3. I get a couple of additional blank lines at the top of the language list when setting the languages font "Options - Language", but the chat window seems to work just fine. Checked with a second instance on the same machine, and the chars with the language spoken understood the language just fine, and it reported (in the GM chat window) who understood it.

Note, I did have to add "RolemasterClassic" to the 'extensions.xml' definition (just being clear). :)

Ardem
May 10th, 2020, 13:04
Hi Siltoneous, I modified Trenloe one to work with RMC 2.0 and also take out all the glorian start one and put in the standard RMC/FRP languages. It in the RMC forum channel.

@Trenloe if your not ok with this let me know, but i am pretty sure you will be fine kept your credit etc in it.

Trenloe
May 13th, 2020, 13:48
@Trenloe if your not ok with this let me know, but i am pretty sure you will be fine kept your credit etc in it.
Yeah, that's OK.

ElectricalChaos
June 14th, 2020, 08:49
Trenloe, I've been making some updates to get this working with FGU. Got most of the original TTFs matched and working, however I've had to make some changes due to not having all of the original files available:

Aquan / Beth-Luis-Fearn.ttf (matched)
Celestial / Espruar.ttf (matched)
Draconic / replaced by DND5EDraconicScript.ttf (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2jwsx2/dnd_and_other_script_font_collection/)
Dwarven / replaced by Davek.otf (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2jwsx2/dnd_and_other_script_font_collection/)
Elven / replaced by Rellanic.otf (https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/2jwsx2/dnd_and_other_script_font_collection/)
Giant / Dethek.ttf (matched, however font is generating some kind of error when trying to use this language in game - still looking into this)
Infernal / ValmaricEldamar-z8O3.ttf (matched)
Gnoll / Edhiron Asdhúriel v. 1.2.ttf (matched)
Aklo / Angerthas.ttf (matched)
Common / greekoldface.ttf (matched, however it's doing something odd - still looking into this https://prntscr.com/szdssu)
Hallit / TibetanModernA-31gL.ttf (matched, however it displays as boxes https://prntscr.com/szdsgm)
Kelish / Siddiqua.ttf (matched)
Osiriani / TheNileSong.ttf (matched)
Polyglot / EthiopiaPrimary (can't find this font)
Shadowtongue / cirnaja.ttf (matched)
Skald / HyrrokkinRunic.ttf (matched, however would AngloSaxonRunes.ttf work better for this?)
Tien / SBchinese.ttf (matched)
Varisian / Hetarosia-4n2D.ttf (matched)
Vudrani / replaced by Kruti.ttf (https://hindi-fonts.com/fonts/kruti-dev-010-regular)

And I added a couple others:
Qualith / Qualith.ttf (https://2ttf.com/LXFmiF6D)
Triglavian / triglavian-regular.ttf (https://github.com/zKillboard/zKillboard/blob/master/public/data/Triglavian-Regular.ttf https://prntscr.com/szdyth)

The Polyglot/Ethiopia Primary font has been a massive pain to find since everything with that script that I've come across is mapped to the regional keyboard and gives Latin in/Latin out when used. I was thinking that it could be replaced by Curvetic (https://www.omniglot.com/conscripts/curvetic.php). And then there's the issues with Giant/Dethek, which is throwing "[ERROR] Font error: invalid argument" when used, and whatever Common/Greek Old Face and Hallit/Tibetan Modern are doing. Any ideas or suggestions on these?

GaryMon
June 15th, 2020, 20:02
@ElectricalChaos
I went through the same thing you did, with the same difficulties. ( Never did find the polygot font )

I finally decide to replace most of the fonts that Trenloe originally used with fonts from Dafont website.
But most of the ones I liked, had restrictions. So, using FontForge and some youtube tutorials, I started designing my own fonts.
I have created 5 full ttf font sets ( or at least they work ) for my world that I am creating.
It has worked out pretty well, so far, with no worries about licensing or anything that.

( I like that curvetic font though )

A lot of work, but, its fun.

ElectricalChaos
June 15th, 2020, 20:57
Oh yea, it's an absolute blast playing with fonts. Every time I find an interesting one it gets downloaded and chucked into my master fonts folder. Last count I had just over 2200 different OTF and TTF fonts in there. I need to go poke around that omniglot site some more because there are some crazy fonts there to play with.

Mortex9
July 18th, 2020, 19:26
Has Anyone come out with a Unity version yet?

GaryMon
July 19th, 2020, 16:15
Easy enough to modify it yourself.
1: unzip the extension. ( if you do not have 7zip, just rename the extension by changing the .ext to .zip )

2: open the fonts folder and write down all the fonts listed, they will be .fgf

3: search the web for the ttf version of the fonts, and replace all the fgf fonts in the fonts folder with the ttf version. Good luck finding some of them. You will most likely have to find alternatives to some of them.

4: open extension.xml and replace the fgf fonts designations with ttf font designations.
example:
<font name="Giant">
<ttf file="fonts/Dethek.ttf" name="Dethek" size="36"/>
<color value="#000000" />
</font>
You may also need to add your ruleset to the extension.xml
example:
<ruleset>
<name>SavageWorlds</name>
</ruleset>

5: zip the extension back up, do not zip up the folder containing the extension. It will add an extra layer.
Go into the folder containing the fonts and scripts folders, extension.xml, select all and right click send to zip. Rename the zip file to whatever.ext and move to your extension folder.

If you have created your own world, with completely different languages than 5E, like me ( I run SWADE with my own world ), then you may need to edit the script ( .lua file in scripts folder ) to remove the 5E languages. Also, use notepad++ to edit this stuff, it will save you some heartache.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything, and hopes it helps.

Mortex9
July 20th, 2020, 20:54
OK Thank you GaryMon I got this to work.....sort of. I got it to load with no errors, I was able to link all the languages in the setting/languages tab, BUT.....When I use ANY language the script shown is very tiny and always the same script. The letters will change if you type something different but it is always the same script and so small I can not make out any of the characters.

After further testing with a second instance running it appears as the script type is changing. The script is still too small to see.

I'm an Idiot. I missed the size portion of the java script. When I followed all the instructions it works great. Thank you.

YggBjorn
July 26th, 2020, 00:30
The Conan ruleset comes with three fonts total for over a dozen languages and one of them is in a readable english font so it is pretty useless. I edited my copy to work with the Conan 2d20 ruleset and then assigned the fonts to the Conan ruleset languages using the campaign language UI box. Thanks for putting this together! Works great and looks great!

Trenloe
July 30th, 2020, 12:57
RolemasterClassic added to the allowed rulesets.

Elvedui
August 5th, 2020, 21:50
So I saw that someone was trying to modify this for FGU. Has this been accomplished?

GaryMon
August 7th, 2020, 22:47
I use it in FGU all the time.It has to be modified, but it is easy enough to do. See a couple of post up.

Elvedui
August 13th, 2020, 18:33
Unfortunately, doesn't sound easy at all...which is why i asked if someone had already done this.

vaughnlannister
August 16th, 2020, 11:25
Could someone post their FGU version please?

SmackDaddy
August 18th, 2020, 22:11
Definitely interested in whomever gets this working for unity and can get it uploaded!

Shireling
September 7th, 2020, 09:56
I use it in FGU all the time.It has to be modified, but it is easy enough to do. See a couple of post up.

I tried following your steps but even when I completed making my final set of free fonts for my FGU campaign, they are still not accessible regardless if I also have the extension called "Feature: D&D - Official Language Fonts (FR)" or "Feature: D&D - Official Language Fonts" selected or not. Suggestions?

Trenloe
September 8th, 2020, 16:32
I tried following your steps but even when I completed making my final set of free fonts for my FGU campaign, they are still not accessible regardless if I also have the extension called "Feature: D&D - Official Language Fonts (FR)" or "Feature: D&D - Official Language Fonts" selected or not. Suggestions?
Make sure the name="......." text is correct for the internal name of the font. This can be quite different for each TTF file. Open it in Windows (double-click on the file) and make sure that the "Font Name" displayed in the TrueType font view is what you use in the name field in the extension.

For example, the Font Name for BethLuisFearn.ttf is "Beth-Luis-Fearn"

Trenloe
September 8th, 2020, 17:00
I've just loaded this up in a brand new campaign and with a quick test it displays the new languages and uses some of the fonts.

Make sure you test in a brand new campaign, because languages and fonts are only setup the first time a campaign is loaded. See the Note in post #1.

Callum
November 6th, 2020, 08:58
I've made an updated version of this extension that works in FGU. You can find it here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?63345-Golarion-Languages-and-Fonts-for-FGU&p=554016#post554016).