PDA

View Full Version : Identification: What's your method?

Seananigans
November 8th, 2015, 23:00
I just wanted to poll some DM's (or I guess players' preferences work too) on how they like to run identification in 5e. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the base rule of allowing someone to simply hold the item during a short rest and know all its secrets, so I'm probably going to be using the variants that anchor it in more historical methods of needing a spell or something. I wouldn't mind some sort of compromise between the two, though, so if you run your campaigns with house rules, speak up!

I was thinking I'd use something like identification is necessary, but also allowing a char proficient in Arcana to discern certain run-of-the-mill items, perhaps with a skill check. Like my campaign's bard would be able to figure out a magical longsword was a Longsword +1 (again possibly needing a successful Arcana check), but would need a spell for something more complex like a Brazier of Elemental Summoning, a Staff of Defense's extra properties above the +1, and so on.

Thoughts?

Aaron
November 9th, 2015, 02:02
In our campaign, I require the use of an identify spell to identify permanent magical items. Until it is identified the item will appear magical through a Detect Magic, but without being able to attune with it (which requires the 'name' of the magical item through the identify spell) the magic won't activate, even if used in attacks, etc (in the case of magical weapons).

For scrolls, if the character is of a class which can normally cast the spell, such as a Wizard looking at the title of a Fireball Scroll, then they can easily find out what it is without an identify spell.

For potions, I require someone with either Alchemy or Herbalism to look at, taste, and make a skill check to figure out what it is without an identify or drinking a use of it.

gm_chris
November 9th, 2015, 03:30
The attunement rule makes things so much simpler, I just recommend you use it. It makes the Identify spell less useful, but I'm okay with that. (I make sure to let players from previous editions know my judgement about this before they select their spells.)

epithet
November 9th, 2015, 06:06
I use the new rule, but I don't put always put all the cards on the table. Some items keep secrets, some become more powerful with use, and others function at a certain level unattuned but when attunement is unlocked and achieved (which might take some effort) those items display more and stronger abilities.

I like to give out items early in the campaign that will level up along with the characters. Holding an item during a short rest, or casting the identify spell, will tell a character what the item is, but not necessarily what it will become. Sometimes, I don't even know when I give the item to the party what will become of it, because it depends on factors like which character uses the item. I do communicate to the player identifying the item that it might contain secrets that have yet to be discovered.

Zacchaeus
November 9th, 2015, 11:29
This is another of these questions where it doesn't really matter what other people do; it's your choice so do what you are comfortable with and what your players can stand.

For me there's no point in having magical items if the PCs have to jump through a whole series of hoops to identify it - and in the party that I have just now there's no arcane spellcasters anyway. So, I go with the identify at the end of a short rest and attune at the end of a long one just like the book says. I like the simplicity of 5e and have never liked things over complicated.

OneSidedDie
November 9th, 2015, 16:48
For magic items that don't require attunement I let them take a short rest to determine if it is magic and what it does. For magic items that require attunement I let my players take a short rest to determine if an item is magic but not know it's properties unless they attune to it. Unless it is obvious of course like if the command word is written on the item somewhere. It allows me to keep some mystery in what an item does but not require identify or detect magic.

5E parties should be able to open locks and disarm traps without a rogue, heal without a spellcaster (hit dice and healing kits), and use magic items without identify. Just not as good or convenient as if they have someone that specializes in it.

Seananigans
November 9th, 2015, 22:03
This is another of these questions where it doesn't really matter what other people do; it's your choice so do what you are comfortable with and what your players can stand.

Is it against the rules to poll people for ideas? I realize it doesn't matter what others do, and I realize it's my choice, of course it is, this is D&D. I was just looking for ideas. Apologies if I'm breaking forum protocol here.

JohnD
November 9th, 2015, 23:14
Personally I make them use Identify, or some other method such as a higher level NPC looking at it.

kane280484
November 10th, 2015, 07:09
Depends of how many magic items there are. If they are as scarce as in my campaign, even a simple Longsword +1 was made on certain purpose, has it's history and players to be sure it's Longsword +1, need to dig up a little bit of history. Sometimes it's as easy as talking to someone, sometimes needs more work or even a quest. I sometimes make more uncommon magic items 'dormant' because of a long time they were forgotten and lying in some desolate treasure hoard or they are damaged and players need to figure out how to turn them on again. But if magic items are not that rare, requesting too much effort towards identifying them spoils fun for the players. And certainly, in my opinion, one-use items like potions or scrolls should always be identified quickly and easily, so the effort needed to identify them never surpasses their power.

When we talk about identyfing items, it is also good to make some backstory to every item, when players discover it, they feel attached to this object, not being just a note on the character sheet. For example, my 5th-level fighter found a flame tongue in a tomb. Having no idea what it is, he took it to a master blacksmith in a remote elven town, which took some effort not only to enter the woods, but to convince elves to help a human. Elvish blacksmith eventually looked at the item, identifying this as '+1 longsword', but also telling the pommel lacks important and rare gem it once had. Long story short, retrieving similar gem took another quest and some time, a travel to 'arabian-like' kingdom, convincing efreeti to help and about six or seven adventures with side-quests and events but when it was over, re-enchanted weapon was '+2 longsword'. Efreeti also told characters that blade once killed an old white dragon named XXXX and some time later players discovered a mention of this dragon in an old tome, about his killer.

They've decided to follow-up on that, again, long story short, reached a dungeon, found an old book that mentioned important info about the sword, relieved the spirit of a former blade's owner from it's torment and, by that, discovered a secret word that sets the longsword ablaze, making it finally a flame tongue. By that time, paladin was, I guess, around 14th level and through discoveries, his blade became +1, +2 and, eventually, a flame tongue. It was fun, players loved it, magic item was a magic item they've all felt attached to, not only the paladin who wielded it. But, as I said before, it works fine when there's not many magic items in the world. When every hero wields some magic items, the only thing they'd do is running over the world trying to identify their stuff :P But I consider this type of approach as the best for me.

I personally like the idea that all magic items (a least those more powerful than simple blade) are evil because of the way they were created, but it does not suit every setting. That leads to some interesting intrigues and push players to discover what the item's origins are.

Zacchaeus
November 10th, 2015, 09:07
Is it against the rules to poll people for ideas? I realize it doesn't matter what others do, and I realize it's my choice, of course it is, this is D&D. I was just looking for ideas. Apologies if I'm breaking forum protocol here.

Sorry, no. I didn't mean it to sound like it did. I wasn't having a good day since I discovered Windows 10 Backup was increasing the size of the backup exponentially and it took me 10 hours to delete the 3/4 of a million files that it had built up over a three week period. :)

Griogre
November 11th, 2015, 18:00
I play if it isn't a common item you need to identify it with the spell and for common rarity items you can figure them out over a short rest.

JohnD
November 12th, 2015, 00:53
There's usually a town drunk that will test anything out for a few coppers.

Alkenix
November 24th, 2018, 21:47
How can I identify an potion for example for a player?
If he/she equip it and i give him/her a short/long rest, nothing happens.. Is it a bug???

Zacchaeus
November 24th, 2018, 22:08
It doesn't happen automatically. You have to click the id button (if it is red) and it will change to green. The player will then be able to see the item.

Moon Wizard
November 24th, 2018, 22:11
You can also change the identification state while it is in the party treasure within the party sheet.

Regards,
JPG

Alkenix
November 24th, 2018, 22:36
Thanks for the fast reply. You people saved my evening. :P

GavinRuneblade
November 25th, 2018, 21:18
There's usually a town drunk that will test anything out for a few coppers.

That reminds me of an old way we used to check for cursed items when I was much younger: give everything to the thief, have him practice with it, then demand he gives it back. If he refuses, the fighters knock him unconscious and treat the item as cursed (take it away to be destroyed). It became very effective once the thief realized he could save himself a beating if he handed over the item but virtually all cursed items at the time had the clause that you cannot willingly give up the item. And it was one of those thieves who insisted on stealing from the party so no one liked him.

DealBreaker
December 2nd, 2018, 08:16
I am with you, I feel (as both a player and DM) that simply cuddling an item for an hour (i.e., focusing on it over a short rest) should not identify it. Why? 1) there is a 1st level ritual spell (identify) that should be used for that and has a 1 time cost of 100gp to get the pearl so that is already easy to do. and 2) why would a completely non-magical individual like a champion or battle master fighter have any way of determining an item is magic aside from a sentient weapon that talks to them? The whole you know it is magic because it is shiny or vibrates or whatever is really dumb to me.

So the way I do magic items is first, I am sure to describe them in such a way that there is something a little unusual about them or something happens when they use it. That depends on the kind of item. So for a magic sword I would describe it as appearing in fine condition despite the other weapons on the old rotted weapon rack being pitted with rust, or maybe describe it seeming to cut deeper than expected first time they use it. If it is an item with a 'code word' to activate an effect then I usually have some kind of hint visually on the item (e.g., some script in an unknown language on the hilt). Either/both of those is usually enough for a party to think "hey there might be something special about this weapon." From there I require players to either cast identify, make an appropriate knowledge check (history, arcana, or religion usually depending on the item and I only let them if they ask me something like does this symbol/amulet/etc. remind me of anything my character would know), experiment with the item (e.g., a player could find boots of striding and springing and put them on without identifying them then first time they go to run or jump I would describe how it feels easier and they seem to move a little bit faster or jump further), or take the item to someone in the world who can cast identify or has relevant knowledge.

Items that require attunement would give a small narrative only version of their effect if the character experimented in an appropriate manner. Items that do not require attunement and just work when equipped would do their full effect (but I wouldn't just out right tell them, I do things like describe the armor as feeling easier to move in or particularly resilient). Each 'succesful' experiment or knowledge check lowers the DC to identify the item and I roll a hidden intellegence check for the player behind my screen. If they beat the DC to identify the item then it is as though they cast identify on it. I start the DC around 30 and decrease the DC for each success based on how telling the experiment result was or how specific the question for the knowledge skill check was (simply recognizing an axe being of dwarven make and master craftsmanship is less telling than if the PC asked "does this axe remind me of any weapons in the legends of my clan?").