PDA

View Full Version : Looking For XMLT for 5E Character Sheet

cas206
November 8th, 2015, 22:09
Anyone already have an XSLT file that puts the FG character XML data into a format for printing on the Wizards 5E character sheet? I've been working on something but thought I check to see if one exists and can be shared before I continue with it.

Thanks.
P.S. I'm already aware of the online version that does something similar.

PinkRose
November 9th, 2015, 19:20
If you make progress,I would be interested.
One of my main reasons for using Fantasy Grounds is updating all of my previous characters from previous versions and would love to have hard copies of those.

PinkRose
November 9th, 2015, 19:22
Double post

cas206
November 10th, 2015, 19:44
So I'm not sure how to proceed with this. My first idea was to create a simple XSLT sheet that would output text that was formatted so that it would print on a pre-printed character sheet. I could probably get this to work, but it wouldn't be useful for anyone else due to different printers and default fonts. So a more useful output format would be PDF (like the online tool does) or HTML (like the Pathfinder XSLT that was posted elsewhere).

I'm avoiding considering a tool that creates the entire sheet due to potential copyright? licensing? whatever? involved with distributing the character sheet.

Going from XML to HTML seems straight forward using just XSLT. I'd have to learn some HTML formatting in addition to XSLT. I don't know enough about HTML to know if that produces a fixed format that outputs the same regardless of printer.

Going from XML to PDF seems complicated. XSLT along with XSL-FO seems to be one answer. There appear to be several XSL-FO related open source tools for making a PDF. However, XSL-FO appears to be a "dead" language. But there are lots of tutorials, tools, and examples out there.

CSS seems to be the replacement for XSL-FO but there are not a lot of examples out there (that I could find).

However, I just recently found out that form fillable PDF's just have the extra information appended to the end of the PDF document. So now I'm thinking about a XML to PDF solution that would create just the character print data in a form that the end user could concatenate to a character sheet PDF (that Wizards says they can use for personal use).

Any words of wisdom or suggestions from people who might be more experienced with this stuff?

GarthGiantbane
November 10th, 2015, 20:16
Greetings,

The Adventurers League Online Tools (https://www.alonlinetools.net) site has a character import/print option for FG character exports (.xml's). I've looked once and it did an ok job on the Wizards style character sheet. I don't think you need to sign up to use it, just click the home screen link for Fantasy Grounds Character...

Give it a try, it might fulfill your needs.