PDA

View Full Version : PC gains an action if failing a DC save. How to add this to character actions?

WishX
November 6th, 2015, 21:34
PC gains an action if failing a DC save. How to add this to character actions?

Here is the description:

Catching Cackle Fever
Creatures with an Intelligence score of 6 or higher that hear the
laughter generated by Olidammara’s Jest, or the laughter of
another infected creature, run the risk of catching cackle fever.
Such creatures must succeed on a DC 13 Constitution saving
throw. On a failure, the creature suffers 5 (1d10) psychic damage
and becomes incapacitated for one round with a fit of maniacal
laughter. The creature is infected with cackle fever until the
disease is cured.

Infected creatures gain the following action:

Cackle (Recharge 6). This creature suffers 5 (1d10)
psychic damage and becomes incapacitated for one
round in a fit of laughter. Creatures susceptible to cackle
fever that can hear this creature must succeed on a DC
13 Constitution saving throw. On a failure, target creatures
are infected with cackle fever. If an infected creature rolls
a natural 1 for an attack roll or ability check, it fails the
action, and uses cackle instead.

How would I enter this custom action and, should a PC fail their save, quickly add it to their character sheet and have it be functioning? Would an effect have to be created as well? Not sure about the recharge either.
Noob requesting help, please. :)

Thank you!

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2015, 22:12
On an NPC set up an action on the NPC like in the screenshot below. When the creature is dragged onto the Combat Tracker it will set up the attack, saving throw and result for you. It will also handle the recharge.

On a PC set up a cast just like you would a spell, set the DC to 13 and the damage to 1d6 psychic and the incapacitate effects.

For more information on setting up effects see here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) and here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet)

WishX
November 6th, 2015, 23:48
Since the PCs are rolling to save against catching the disease, if they fail, wouldn't the Targeting be set for Self instead of Targets, or would they target themselves first, then cast the Power?

Zacchaeus
November 7th, 2015, 12:00
If the Goblin is trying to infect a PC then the Goblin is the one who will do the casting. As shown in the screenshot the DM will double click on the SAVEVs part which will cause the target (presumably a PC) to make a saving throw. If the PC fails the DM will then go on to double click on the DMG part and then on the EFF part which will damage the PC and place the incapacitated effect on the PC.

If it's a PC that's doing the cackling then they will have a target (presumably an NPC) and click on the cast and if the NPC fails they then roll damage and click the effect button to place the incapacitated effect on the NPC.

The targeting part of the effect is not 'who is the target?' but 'where does the effect reside?'. In both cases above the effect (the incapacity) isn't going to be on the person doing the cackling (i.e. Self) but on the person being cackled at (I.e. Targets).

Does that make sense?

WishX
November 8th, 2015, 00:37
Does that make sense?
It makes sense, but Cackle Fever is caught by simply hearing a magical laughter. If the PCs hear the laughter, they have to succeed a DC 13 Con save or they are infected. There isn't something that casts it. Nothing will go into the Combat Tracker and target a PC. No other creature is trying to specifically cast Cackle Fever onto a PC. They involuntarily laugh uncontrollably and if a PC hears it and fails the save, they are infected with it as well.

So, I guess the first of your two scenarios would be the way to go since it would be the PC rolling to see if they caught Cackle Fever or not as if someone had cast it upon them. That's why I asked if the target should be Self because no one else would be targeted but the PC themselves.

Would your Powers set-up still be correct?

Zacchaeus
November 8th, 2015, 11:48
In order for the PCs to catch Cackle Fever they have to hear the Cackle. But in order for there to be a cackle there has to be a source. That source must be an NPC or some object or something and that NPC, or object or whatever it is will have to be on the Combat Tracker for what I said above to work automatically. Even if the PCs don't get to see the source (becasue its invisible or whatever) then you should still create it and place it on the CT. Change the name on the Goblin above in my example to 'Invisible thing that causes Cackle Fever' and place it on the CT and leave it invisible to the Players. That way both the scenarios above work as in the screenshots.

WishX
November 8th, 2015, 21:14
That makes perfect sense and seems like the best solution. Thanks for your time and patience. It's greatly appreciated. :)