PDA

View Full Version : Combined lists?

PinkRose
November 5th, 2015, 20:33
Is there any way to access, for instance, all classes available in your library or in the specific modules you have opened and available during character creation?
Or do you need to open all modules with classes and open each classes section to pick which you want?

Or is there a compiled list maybe online somewhere that someone knows about?

whiteTiki
November 5th, 2015, 21:56
Ok. for what I understand, you don't want to "change windows" between one class and another.

I'm afraid that's not possible. Even between Modules you will have to change to different windows, it's the same when you have the physical book; EXAMPLE: If there are 3 books were you can find races and you want to choose one race for your character from 3 different books you need to change from book to book. Same goes for pages in a book.

Now, speaking of FG, I can really say that its easier for me to surf the book in FG than a physical book, at least in my opinion.
In character creation, you can open the Library > your module, lets say PH Deluxe > Then go to Classes and keep that window open all the time so you can easily switch between classes.
TIP: Remember you can always add any class, race or thing that has a link on it to your shortcuts on the bar below so you can quick access them through your F Keys, in this way, if you're thinkin about taking a monk or a rogue (just an example), you can assign those classes a shortcut and same goes for races, weapons, backgrounds, etc.

On the other hand, if what you're looking for is a small "chart" or table with which you can easily compare one class from another, you can open your players handbook in Fantasy Grounds through the library > then click on "Reference Manual" > click on DD Players Handbook > Part 1: Creating a Character > Classes. Here you'll find a small table so you can easily compare some classes.

Hopes it helps!

Seananigans
November 5th, 2015, 22:59
And yet, while in physical medium you have to swap between books, digital theoretically should facilitate this! I've been wondering about this kind of thing myself, with the upcoming Kobold Tome of Beasts, SCAG's sub-class stuff, etc.

1- Is it possible to create a note or story entry with links to all the classes/backgrounds and such? That might be an easy way to compile all char creation stuff into one easy to use list.

2- I went ahead and manually dragged every MM monster entry into my base NPC list, but I couldn't find a way to add my own sub-categories. The MM module has the Alphabetical, Class, and CR versions of the lists... is there no way to add your own sub-category markers into your NPC lists? Is the only solution to use tabs at the bottom (which really isn't an option, given that there'd be upwards of 50 tabs)?

LordEntrails
November 6th, 2015, 00:22
1 - Yes. Same way you did it in your MM example. I just started a story entry to prove it could be done and it works just like expected. See image;

2 - Their's another thread about categories somewhere, think I might have even been the one to ask it. The short answer is no. If you want to manually edit the xml, you can do more, but I don't remember the specifics :(

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2015, 09:18
Is there any way to access, for instance, all classes available in your library or in the specific modules you have opened and available during character creation?
Or do you need to open all modules with classes and open each classes section to pick which you want?

Or is there a compiled list maybe online somewhere that someone knows about?

I think I'm following your question.

The answer is that there is no central list of classes. If you have a module which contains a class and if you wanted to build a character with that class then you would need the module open. This is the way FG works, content isn't available unless you have the module containing that content open.

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2015, 09:22
And yet, while in physical medium you have to swap between books, digital theoretically should facilitate this! I've been wondering about this kind of thing myself, with the upcoming Kobold Tome of Beasts, SCAG's sub-class stuff, etc.

1- Is it possible to create a note or story entry with links to all the classes/backgrounds and such? That might be an easy way to compile all char creation stuff into one easy to use list.

Yes, but you'd still need all of the modules that you referenced to be open (otherwise the links won't work) and if you wanted it to be shareable with players then they'd need to be shared with your players too.

2- I went ahead and manually dragged every MM monster entry into my base NPC list, but I couldn't find a way to add my own sub-categories. The MM module has the Alphabetical, Class, and CR versions of the lists... is there no way to add your own sub-category markers into your NPC lists? Is the only solution to use tabs at the bottom (which really isn't an option, given that there'd be upwards of 50 tabs)?

Tabs would be the only way I can think of to do this. What sub category were you trying to get to?

Seananigans
November 6th, 2015, 13:57
Yes, but you'd still need all of the modules that you referenced to be open (otherwise the links won't work) and if you wanted it to be shareable with players then they'd need to be shared with your players too.

Tabs would be the only way I can think of to do this. What sub category were you trying to get to?

Just the ability to manually add the collapsible A-Z (or CR/class-based) subcategories like the MM indices use. Again, just looking toward the future when there are multiple resources that have many monsters involved. As a DM, I'd like to have all of the available monsters in one easy place, rather than having to remember which resource they originated from, etc.

Zacchaeus
November 6th, 2015, 21:11
Just the ability to manually add the collapsible A-Z (or CR/class-based) subcategories like the MM indices use. Again, just looking toward the future when there are multiple resources that have many monsters involved. As a DM, I'd like to have all of the available monsters in one easy place, rather than having to remember which resource they originated from, etc.

Ah, I see. Well, to date the only source of monsters is the Monster Manual. If you have NPCs from somewhere else that you have made you could export those to a mod and just keep adding to that mod. You'd then only need the MM and your mod open which isn't too many I feel. You can't manually add to the MM for protection reasons, and there's no way to index stuff just like the MM from within FG.