PDA

View Full Version : Targeting choice of PC by DM D&D 5E

Octavious
November 5th, 2015, 17:59
Hey all .
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but its best I can find.

Is there a certain rule on the order of targeting PC by your NPC enemies as a DM ? After the init roll is done the PC can choose whom ever they want to target. but I'm not sure about the NPC . If there are 4 PC and 4 NPC in the encounter I guess each NPC can target their respective PC ? or can I do it any way I want if I am the DM ?

Zacchaeus
November 5th, 2015, 18:13
Hey, Octavious and welcome to the forums.

Any PC can target any NPC and any NPC can target any PC. Initiative is just the order that the actors in the combat go. So if the first to go is a player he can target any NPC that he is capable of targeting (This will depend on what kind of attack he is using nand whether he can see the target etc etc). If the next actor is an NPC then it can target any PC that they can see and that's in range of their attack and so on down the line.

Is this answering your question or are you actually asking something else entirely and I'm just not completely understanding the question?

Octavious
November 5th, 2015, 18:18
Thanks for the reply Zacchaeus that answers it for me. Thanks for the reply .

Andraax
November 5th, 2015, 18:26
And PCs can target PCs, and NPCs can target NPCs...

Anything on the combat tracker can target anything on the combat tracker (including itself).

Octavious
November 5th, 2015, 20:36
Thanks Andraax thats good to know too.. Actually what I was really curious about in a encounter scenario where the targeting is equitable in NPC VS PC (Targeting is pretty equal) say 4 NPC and 4 PC and its the NPC turn to target PC. Can each of the 4 NPC target and attack 1 of the 4 PC as each turn came along if I decided I wanted it that way ?(If I was the DM).... I cant really find anything about that in the rule book but I have not read the dungeon masters rule book yet .. still working on players rule book.

Andraax
November 5th, 2015, 21:11
Any [N]PC can target any [N]PC, so having all four NPCs target 1 PC is not an issue.

GarthGiantbane
November 5th, 2015, 21:18
I think NPC tactics are the DM prerogative - When their turn comes up you can attack whichever and however you'd like.

If you were asking about initiative ties then I believe the tie breaker is DEX ability - the higher goes first. If that ties then the actions are simultaneous.

Octavious
November 5th, 2015, 21:29
ok I'm clear on it now .. thanks everyone for helping me get this clear in my mind :)

Andraax
November 5th, 2015, 22:20
ok I'm clear on it now .. thanks everyone for helping me get this clear in my mind :)

And each [N]PC can have multiple targets (if they have multiple attacks) - so one PC with 2 attacks can target two different [N]PCs.

damned
November 6th, 2015, 02:47
you will find some NPCs will have descriptions which might help choose targets.
if NPCs are highly intelligent they will use smarter tactics - they will try to take out spell casters, they will try to ambush, they will gang up on threats - and they might even flee in the face of defeat.
challenge your players - but try not to kill too many of them too often!

kylania
November 6th, 2015, 15:20
I usually go by location first, then visual threat and finally reaction to actions. Closest, biggest or attacking target first.

Also the NPC has Pack Tactics then pile it on! Everyone on one target at a time. :)

Baron28
January 6th, 2016, 16:14
There are some factors I take into consideration when running creatures as a DM in a given encounter:

1. Creature traits - These are creature instincts.
2. Intelligence and Wisdom - The higher the score, the better the tactics. e.g. Attacking immediate threats, Strafing, Retreating, Surrendering, Ambush creating a blockage by clogging up a narrow passage by taking the dodge action.
3. Alignment - Lawful creatures will attack in an orderly/militaristic fashion. Chaotic creatures will be random. Neutral creatures will be a balance of order and chaos.

Battlefield tactics are balanced by the 3 factors above.

Moepsii
January 12th, 2016, 10:44
I just skimmed through the post but i guess iam more devious or experienced different and adapted it. I take a look at the physical build of the person (i.e strength or constitution score and see if its a dump stat) then depending on the PC i will have them target him first espaciley with natural predator. Works well with stuff like wolfs or lions, naming these two i also look into the actual animal how it would actually perform or recall how warriors would fight with weapons. Then theres also allignment evil enemies wont care for fairness at all and would try everything to win while an lawful enemy might consider having a fair and square battle.