PDA

View Full Version : Campaign data between 2 diff computers?

jimmifett
November 5th, 2015, 15:11
I've got a laptop and desktop and share data via onedrive. I've set the Data folder to a folder on onedrive on the desktop and start working on my campaign. Later, out of town, I go to use my laptop and point to the same folder for Data on one drive. My campaign doesn't show up, at all, and I start getting errors if I hit update unless I point back to the default Data directory.

How do I go about making this situation work for me?

My short term fix is to have 2 folders on one drive and copy the campaign back and forth, but this is hardly optimal.

JohnD
November 5th, 2015, 15:44
Don't use any kind of sharing location for your Data directory. That way lies a whole bunch of grief and pain in your future. Onedrive, Dropbox, etc... all not good.

jimmifett
November 5th, 2015, 16:02
Technically the data is local since it syncs down to each system.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2015, 16:42
Technically the data is local since it syncs down to each system.
Correct. But people have reported corruption with the sync process - especially on the live campaign database or player campaign cache as these are tiles that are constantly updated. If your campaign database corrupts then you might lost lots of game data. As a result, the very strong recommendation is to *not* use any data sync applications on your FG data directory. Manually copying the campaign data into/out of a sync solution is OK (which appears to be what you're now doing), but don't have your sync solution pointing directly at the FG data directories.

damned
November 6th, 2015, 03:18
OneDrive/DropBox etc are not reccomended for use with databasing applications. They just arent very good at it.
Many people have reported lost/corrupt data while doing this.

At the end of each session I zip up my campaign and date stamp it and drop it onto my cloud drive and then I know I have backups.
It is not as convenient I know - but clearly its not working for you so you will need to try an alternative.