PDA

View Full Version : PFRPG IFT/Conditional effects issues

HoloGnome
November 2nd, 2015, 15:37
Hmm...I just tried IFT, and either I have it set up incorrectly, or the IFT effect does not work properly.

For example, the following isn't working for me:

Bane; IFT:TYPE(outsider); ATK:2 enhancement; DMG:2d6;

It does not apply the +2 attack vs. outsiders and always applies the extra damage, regardless of enemy. I also tried substituting "evil" for "outsider" and that didn't work either vs. the following creature type definition (Balor Demon):

CE Large outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar)

So, what's the secret?

HoloGnome
November 2nd, 2015, 16:36
OK...so I see that the EFFECT +2 is there. It's just not added to the result text. I am using the PFRPG ruleset.

It looks like I can only choose primary types (substypes inside the creature type parentheses don't work). For example, I can choose "outsider," but not "evil."

Also, I can only go 1 effect deep after the IFT conditional check. It just looks like there are parser issues.

The following seems to work in PFRPG vs. type: CE Large outsider (chaotic, demon, evil, extraplanar):

Bane; IFT:TYPE (outsider); ATK:2 enhancement; (will only show [EFFECTS +2] in the attack line and the result will not reflect the extra +2...but it's being applied)
Bane; IFT:TYPE (outsider); DMG:2d6;

Also, as shown, there must be separate effects for attack and damage and the caveat is that this feature doesn't properly parse sub-types. So, if they matter (like in the case of evil outsider bane), then you have to make sure that the outsider you are attacking is evil, or you should remove the effect.

Hypothetically speaking, it would be nice to have better type/subtype syntax parsing.

For example:
Bane; IFT:TYPE (outsider+evil); ATK:2 enhancement; -->> requires both outsider and evil descriptors
Bane; IFT:TYPE (outsider,evil); ATK:2 enhancement; -->> requires either outsider or evil descriptors

For now, it's probably just easier to set up dedicated bane weapons and only use them when needed.

HoloGnome
November 2nd, 2015, 16:49
...and just as an aside, the other reason not to use this effect over setting up a dedicated bane weapon is that the DMGTYPE effect is also not working to modify the damage type.

-- edit -- never mind on this one. I was momentarily forgetting that bane just does more damage, but does not bypass DR, etc. (well...at least not directly, unless the weapon bonus is such that the extra +2 enhancement from bane pushes it to a category that will bypass DR. So, by default, it would bypass magic, but would need to be on a +1 weapon to bypass cold iron/silver, +2 to bypass adamantine, and +3 to bypass aligned).

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2015, 18:44
OK...so I see that the EFFECT +2 is there. It's just not added to the result text. I am using the PFRPG ruleset.
This is the way targeted attack effects work - the effect is added to the attack roll total behind the scenes, if it applies as part of the conditional effect, and is used in the hit/miss reporting. The devs have stated a few times that this is by design as it is needed to keep multiple attacks operating correctly.

HoloGnome
November 2nd, 2015, 19:23
Yep - I understand. Makes sense.

To summarize the problems from my posts above re: PFRPG:
- IFT parsing does not appear to work on subtypes in the creature stat block (inside the parens)
- It only sees a single trailing effect instead of the whole effect line
- It doesn't detect and qualify multiple descriptors (outsider + evil, for example), where both are required for an evil outsider bane to go off
- There may also be an issue with DMGTYPE and IFT

So, I have just set up dedicated bane weapons that work fine. :)

If IFT eventually works in the future as time permits, great! It's a nice effect feature for FG - just needs some ironing out.

Trenloe
November 5th, 2015, 06:23
You might want to try this now in v3.1.3 as some things have changed.

DMGTYPE doesn't work with IFT as mentioned here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25117-LMoP-quot-Lightbringer-quot&p=237755&viewfull=1#post237755

HoloGnome
June 8th, 2016, 23:29
I am still having problems with this functionality. PFRPG/3.1.7. I thought it was working, but I can't get any conditional check to work today and I'm not sure what's wrong. I have turned off all extensions, replaced rulesets, reinstalled FG, made a new default campaign, added a simple test character...and still nothing. Attached is an example of an ALIGN conditional that does not work, even though it looks like it should.

Simple Conditional: Bless Weapon; IFT: ALIGN(evil); CC:40
Targeting a chaotic evil creature.
The crit confirm boost never happens.

See attachment.

It also doesn't work if I use TYPE instead of ALIGN.

Trenloe
June 8th, 2016, 23:37
CC is not a targetable effect. See the Notes column of the effects tables in the Wiki. A (T) indicates the effect is targetable.

HoloGnome
June 8th, 2016, 23:44
Thanks - I will check to see if changing the effect fixes it. If so, that's an oversight in that case. There's no reason why CC shouldn't be able to fire off on execution of a conditional, especially given spells like Bless Weapon that auto-confirm against evil targets.

OK - it works...but CC should be included in the allowed set.

I changed it to ATK, but then had to remember that I wouldn't see the +Effect added, even though it's part of the final total.

Trenloe
June 8th, 2016, 23:50
OK - it works...but CC should be included in the allowed set.
https://fg2app.idea.informer.com/

HoloGnome
June 8th, 2016, 23:59
I added it. I hope it's a simple fix that can make it into the current release. Thx.