PDA

View Full Version : PFS Adventure Path: Reign of Winter Campaign

HoloGnome
November 5th, 2015, 04:47
I am starting up the Reign of Winter Campaign. I will be running a party through Snows of Summer (3 sessions). I will then follow up with the rest of the series, as time permits.

I will select the first party and post it here.

JWMK
November 5th, 2015, 05:49
I am very interested. When would it start and at what level? I have never missed a session I am booked in so you can count on my schedule for a campaign.

lachancery
November 5th, 2015, 06:33
Hey HG! I'm interested but have a couple of questions:

1) Will you be running the AP in campaign mode or just the PFS legal sections?

2) What day/time were you considering?

Syaoran0503
November 5th, 2015, 12:26
I'm interested in joining this campaign. I have the same questions as everyone else. When do you want to run the first session and what level do we need to start at?

HoloGnome
November 5th, 2015, 17:53
JWMK, Syaoran & LA - would love to have you play. I am willing to run either the stock, sanctioned content or run it as a campaign, where players will assign chronicles to PFS characters as/when they become available (as pregen credits).

Chronicle Sheets/Tiers are:

The Snows of Summer (1-2)
The Shackeled Hut (5-7)
Maiden, Mother, Crone (8-10)
The Frozen Stars (11-13)

They further extend as follows:
Rasputin Must Die! (13-15)
The Witch Queen's Revenge (15-17)

I'm not sure how the upper level sanctioned credits are handled - maybe apply them to a new PFS character, I guess. The value there would be boon & chronicle stacking on a new, unplayed PFS character.

So far, I have the 1st 3 AP modules, which will go quite a long way (Snows of Summer; Shackled Hut; Maiden, Mother, Crone).

I was thinking we could start this Sunday, but it sounds like it might take more planning. I'd like to find a time that works. Also, I might be able to do an occasional weekday evening in short blocks. I have been leaning towards early weekend times because they free up my weekend and make sure I'm aligned with relationship time. ;)

I will say that even though this one starts out as subtier 1-2, I can't recommend that characters start as new 1st levels. If we run as straight PFS, characters with a few adventures (or also 2nd level characters) are better. If non-PFS, I'm not sure there is anything constraining me from starting at 2nd level. I'll have to check.

Is there a preference for straight PFS vs. Adventure Path campaign?

Syaoran0503
November 5th, 2015, 18:45
My character level distribution is not the greatest.

Level 6 - Monk
Level 3 - Wizard
Level 1.2 - Gunslinger (although I need to rebuild him, he has several errors from when I first started playing that no one pointed out to me, he might not even be a gunslinger anymore)
Several unplayed Level 1 characters.

So I guess my preference would be to play this as an AP campaign and apply the credits to one of my unplayed characters. As far as timing goes. I would prefer perhaps a Sunday game time (your early morning game times HG always seem good for me). Weekends are always better for me, but Saturday tends to be my day to work on projects and spend some family quality time.

I'm flexible in working with the group though to make sure everyone has a good time.

Malkavian_Andi
November 5th, 2015, 19:49
I'm not sure how the upper level sanctioned credits are handled - maybe apply them to a new PFS character, I guess. The value there would be boon & chronicle stacking on a new, unplayed PFS character.While it is always an option to apply the credit to a 1st level character, you never have to (and as far as I know, the boons would only become available when the character actually reaches the chronicle's level).
You can apply credit for the higher level parts to PFS characters as normal, and the character gains the rewards (XP, PP, gold, boons, item access) as soon as he/she reaches the minimum level of the chronicle's tier. It is actually possible to get characters above level 12, there's just much less opportunity to play them, because there are no PFS scenarios for those levels, only sanctioned modules and APs.

HoloGnome
November 5th, 2015, 20:34
Yes - that's true - the boons are locked until the character reaches the appropriate level. Looking at the boons, I think I know why. ^_^

But yeah...applying the credit at the appropriate level may prove difficult in the upper-level adventures.

Malkavian_Andi
November 6th, 2015, 00:05
True, I still have credit for Rise of the Runelords on some of my characters that's waiting for them get to level 14 or 16 ^^

oh, and btw, depending on game times, I might be interested in playing this AP, too.

Myrddin
November 6th, 2015, 01:18
I'd love to get in on this if the timing permits. I can only make GMT evening time slot I'm afraid, so I understand if this doesn't work. Be great to play in AP mode, but happy for PFS mode too.

HoloGnome
November 6th, 2015, 12:03
Andi - I don't knoooooow...sounds like L1 cap to me on those chronicles. Hehe.

I will consider times for this adventure - It still looks like Sunday AM my time...but I don't have to start this week, or until we coordinate.

JWMK
November 6th, 2015, 17:37
I am still very interested in taking part in this campaign, but will be in Africa until the 22nd Novemver without much internet access... Would be a dedicated participator after that! :)

Thanks for taking the time to organize this!

HoloGnome
November 6th, 2015, 18:21
No worries - check in when you get back! Have a good time on your travels! :)

Syaoran0503
November 6th, 2015, 20:07
HG,

Have you decided whether we will be playing campaign characters or PFS characters yet? Just curious so I know if I need to build a new character or if I should use one of my existing PFS characters.

HoloGnome
November 6th, 2015, 21:31
Hi Syaoran (& others) -

I read through the Snows of Summer again today and I also have the experience of the 1st party's attempt at the sanctioned content. So, all things considered, I'd like to run it as an adventure instead of straight PFS. There's a tremendous amount of content and story arc in Snows of Summer that the PFS content does not address, and it leaves the PFSers hanging out in the plot wind to some extent.

My "house rules" for the builds are as follows:

Pseudo-Society Adventure Path:
1. You must start with a PFS-legal 1st-level character, 20-point build, racial bonuses, any legal always-available race (no boon races), 2 traits, class-related benefits, 150gp, etc.
2. You may then optionally advance the character per PFS rules up to the start of Level 2 (3 steps forward max), advancing hit points, skill points, and any class abilities (assuming you move forward to 2.0). It's up to you. You may start at L1.0, L1.1, L1.2 or L2.0.
3. For each step forward you move (similar to PFS), you will receive 500gp, 2 Prestige and 2 Fame
3. If you max at L2.0 (3 steps forward), your character gains 1500gp, 6 Fame (including related purchasing limits of 500gp) and 6 Prestige.
4. Your character can spend the Prestige any way it wants per Society rules for 1 item per step forward and 2PP max
5. Each time your character levels in the campaign, you will gain an additional (and virtual) 4 Fame (no prestige) that will control your spending limits in the campaign per PFS rules.
6. Any treasure you find will be yours to keep or sell.
7. Your character should carefully consider the adventure and prepare accordingly for all hazards.
8. And, as above, at your preference, you may start at up to Level 2.0, depending on what kind of challenge you would like.
9. You may select 1 bonus campaign trait from the Reign of Winter Player's Guide

These build rules are identical to PFS, should be simple to comprehend and include your personal choice of any legal class, race, build and level progression up to 2.0 (you choose your own character risk).

In the interest of not wasting a lot of time and keeping the focus on the adventure, I offer the following:
1. I frown upon Level 1.0, but will allow it. The adventure, if executed to the letter, seriously strains the capabilities of a Level 1.0 character.
2. Prepare yourself with resources for many, varied encounters
3. Prepare yourself for very cold environments
4. Work with others in the party to build a diverse group
5. We may use part of the first session to talk through these issues - try to think about questions before-hand

How does that sound? :)

Malkavian_Andi
November 7th, 2015, 00:16
So, what's the game times you had in mind? Depending on whether I can make those times regularly, I would start thinking about a character to play or not.

HoloGnome
November 7th, 2015, 00:26
Well...provisionally, Sunday at 4AM Pacific. What times are you available?

Syaoran0503
November 7th, 2015, 01:18
Were you looking to start this Sunday? I was looking at the calendar page and saw a few sign-ups, but you've posted here you don't mind waiting for the party to kind of organize itself. I should be able to make Sunday if need be, just need to know so I can buckle down on building a character.

Speaking of characters, I was thinking of playing a ranged inquisitor or an empiricist investigator depending on what the group composition is looking like. I would be starting either character at level 2. I don't know how accurate the calendar is for people signing up and characters. So I guess I will wait and see if anyone posts here for what they want to bring.

HoloGnome
November 7th, 2015, 01:34
In the very least, we could meet briefly on Sunday to talk about characters.

Syaoran0503
November 7th, 2015, 01:41
Sounds good, I will vote on the calendar to be there Sunday morning. I just don't want to get too deep into making a character, to find the group has a glaring weak spot, especially since this will be an on-going campaign with a consistent party. Talk to ya on Sunday guys.

Farnaby
November 7th, 2015, 21:42
Love to join in.
Any slots open?

HoloGnome
November 7th, 2015, 22:03
Sure! (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1362) He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack. :D

Farnaby
November 8th, 2015, 00:09
Yup, the meerkats had kidnapped me, but I managed to get away. :ninja:

So this sunday is about what sort of team we're putting together, right?

Malkavian_Andi
November 8th, 2015, 02:15
I won't be able to play regularly on Sundays, I have my home campaign on Sundays. So it seems you'll have to play this without me :)

HoloGnome
November 8th, 2015, 02:23
Farnaby - yes - we need to have a discussion about character creation and party composition.

Andi - OK. :(

bigboom
November 8th, 2015, 03:11
Sounds intriguing and the currently proposed time slot is perfect for me (Sunday early mornings, USA time).

So, if it's OK, I've signed on to join in the upcoming meeting to get more details about the overall campaign schedule and party composition.

Talk to you soon!

Vladlock
November 8th, 2015, 05:28
Dibs on the ranger hehe

HoloGnome
November 8th, 2015, 05:47
Vorn Freth is a PFS character. You need to make a different one. This is a campaign vs. PFS. You will get PFS chronicles at certain points, however, that you can apply to a PFS character such as Vorn Freth. ;) Also, be sure to read the build rules above.

lachancery
November 8th, 2015, 11:03
@ HG: Thanks for organizing this campaign and considering my playing, though I must bow out. Day time (Eastern North America) is either family time (weekends) or work.

Have fun and don't forget to dress warm... Winter's coming!

HoloGnome
November 8th, 2015, 19:13
Thanks LA - no worries. I completely understand and have similar issues. Yeah - they better put on their longjohns.

The party for this run is as follows:
Archania: Samurai 2.0
Vladlock: Ranger 2.0
Syaoran0503: Investigator (Empiricist) 2.0
AxitMaster: Arcanist 2.0
Farnaby: Warpriest 2.0
JWMK: Winter Witch 2.0
Bigboom: NPC Consultant / Alternate

Game Time: 4AM-9AM Pacific, 3 Sundays/Month, or as available

kwarner1986
November 9th, 2015, 15:05
I threw my name in there as a backup, but it appears you might be covered. I do enjoy my sleep though.

HoloGnome
November 9th, 2015, 15:49
It might be fun to have you guest star as an NPC, either for RP or an encounter. One of the great things about FG is that, instead of using an NPC sheet, I could turn one of the NPCs into a character and let someone play them for some pseudo-PvP mayhem, where your only job would be take on the role and beliefs of that NPC. :D It would be a new element for our online games. As a campaign, it's not actually PFS, so I have some leeway and it could be a fun new way to involve more people in the campaign as notable personalities...or the bad guys!

If anyone would like to play a villain, send me a PM. ;) You would just need to show up for the game where the villain appears. So, you would hang around on teamspeak in a different channel and when it was time, I'd bring you in. Hehe.

cmdisc
November 9th, 2015, 16:42
If anyone would like to play a villain, send me a PM. ;) You would just need to show up for the game where the villain appears. So, you would hang around on teamspeak in a different channel and when it was time, I'd bring you in. Hehe.

Yes, I'd like to play the no-name villain who coup-de-grace's the PC that drops instead of leaving them be and moving on to the next guy. :p

Ok, so not really.

HoloGnome
November 9th, 2015, 18:09
Yeah - that sounds like you. :D I guess I'll have to give you some ground rules. :p

Brainpolice
November 10th, 2015, 06:13
Still open to playing this, looks like no dates posted right now though.

HoloGnome
November 10th, 2015, 08:35
Hi brainpolice - sorry - full now.