PDA

View Full Version : Assigning Speakers

bullywug
November 3rd, 2015, 21:29
I've appearently missed something when it comes to assigning speakers to text. Here's the steps I've taken:

Create spoken text.
Highlight text, right click and choose "Chat Frame" from popup
Highlight text again and choose "Assign speaker" from popup.

From there I thought I could drag an NPC from the NPC list and have it assign the speech to that character but I can't get it to work. It just creates a link to the character. I can type the name of the character but when it displays in the chat window it still shows the GM as speaking (though it now shows the name I typed and a colon before the speech text). I was of the impression that Fantasy Grounds could assign the text to a character and have it appear as if that character was the one speaking. Was I mistaken or am I missing something?
I'm using the 4e Ruleset with the Locations and Weather mods installed.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2015, 21:52
You will always see the GM icon before anything you say even if you are saying it as someone else.

To 'speak' as an NPC either do as you are doing; create the text box then 'assign' speaker' and then type in the name of the speaker that you want to 'say' whatever is in the box. When you now click on the speech icon it will send the text to the chat box and it will show the GM icon but also the name of the speaker with a text bubble.

You can also 'speak' as someone on the Combat Tracker if you first enable the option 'Chat: Set GM voice to active CT'. Then, provided you have an NPC selected on the CT you will see a small note beside 'GM' at the bottom left under the chat window. Anything you now output to the chat window will have that 'voice'. It will still show the GM icon prefacing the words but it will have the 'person' after the GM token.

Trenloe
November 3rd, 2015, 21:57
You can click the speech bubble icon in the top right corner of an NPC sheet to add that NPC's name to the Speaking Identities under the chat window - and make that identity active.

You can also manually add a speaking identity using /id <name> in the chat window.

More on speaking identities here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Chat_Window#Speaking_Identities

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2015, 22:05
You can click the speech bubble icon in the top right corner of an NPC sheet to add that NPC's name to the Speaking Identities under the chat window - and make that identity active.

And there's what I've learned today :)

damned
November 4th, 2015, 11:57
And there's what I've learned today :)

and heres what I learned -

...You can also 'speak' as someone on the Combat Tracker if you first enable the option 'Chat: Set GM voice to active CT'. Then, provided you have an NPC selected on the CT you will see a small note beside 'GM' at the bottom left under the chat window. Anything you now output to the chat window will have that 'voice'. It will still show the GM icon prefacing the words but it will have the 'person' after the GM token.

woot!

bullywug
November 4th, 2015, 12:00
Thanks guys.